6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

35 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1MZ-FE into my MR2, Building a 3SGTE these days.
post Dec 24, 2010 - 9:59 PM
+Quote Post
95CelicaST

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 5, '05
From pineapple under the sea
Currently Offline

5SFE harness showed up this morning... I went to find a box to package the two together, but I'm having a hard time getting the V6 harness into the box I have. I'm going to have to find another one at work.

My t-top seals came in today as well.... well, half of them. The body seals came in, but the two small seals that go on the t-tops didn't come. So I spent a couple hours tearing the seals out.

Look at the difference in paint color...

Buying the clutch and flywheel tomorrow.

--------------------
1991 MR2 - T-tops - Crimson Red - Gen3 3SGTE - Lots of money

I'm not really an asshole, but I play one on the internet.
**** Photobucket
post Dec 30, 2010 - 9:22 PM
+Quote Post
95CelicaST

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 5, '05
Currently Offline

Updating without any pictures frown.gif

I ordered the clutch from South Bend Clutch, Flywheel from THMotorsports, and headers from Brad Bedell on MR2OC.

Headers will be here tomorrow (plenty of pictures will follow!)
Clutch is going to be a few days until it ships (because of the custom spline I need)
Flywheel was ordered on the 26th, and has been "processing" since then... I think ordering from THMotorsports might have been a bad idea... kindasad.gif

Anyone have any experience with THMotorsports?

I also got a new fuel gauge for my cluster - I think mine is broken, so I'm going to swap it out to test.

From here, it appears as though all I need to get now is the wiring harness conversion, flywheel bolts, and gaskets.

Build is planned to be done by the end of February...

--------------------

**** Photobucket
post Dec 31, 2010 - 9:48 PM
+Quote Post
95CelicaST

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 5, '05
Currently Offline

Pictures! nom nom nom

Oil filter relocation kit will definitely be required. The filter is touching the piping.

Rear bank:

--------------------

**** Photobucket
post Jan 1, 2011 - 11:56 PM
+Quote Post
95CelicaST

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 5, '05
Currently Offline

Sitting in my living room watching horrible movies on TV... leaves me with a lot of time.

I can get a Greddy filter relocation kit for ~$150, but I'm not sure I want to do that. I don't want to over complicate this stuff.

So I began with looking up a chart on oil filter dimensions, which led me to a site for Mann-Hummel. I went out to grab the dimensions of my oil filter and came up with:

3" diameter
3.25" high
3/4 16 UNF thread

With that, I looked into Mann-Filters and found one with the same diameter and mating surface sizes, but only 2.3" tall! Best part, its only $9 for a filter. Going to order one up and see if it works.

--------------------

**** Photobucket
post Jan 2, 2011 - 1:21 AM
+Quote Post
DEATH

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 19, '07
From tx
Currently Offline

Nice project bro! Should be beastly when mated to a s54 like yours!
One question tho? What 3S-GTE does this make more power than? A USDM ST-165 maybe. Other than that - great projects and good luck! May the Gremlins disregard your swap sir wink.gif

--------------------

ENGINE: '93 RC 3S-GTE/WRC CT-20b [18-20PSI]
PERF: TRD/HKS/ARP/NGK/MSD/ACT/Blitz/STRI/APEX'i/TwosRus/GReddy/Magnaflo/KOYO
SUSP: Tein/Bilstein/SusTech/
INT: SS-III SEATS/Toyota Hyper Sports
EXT: WRC/TRD/404
QUOTE (lagos @ Aug 25, 2010 - 10:13 AM) *
Its a safety feature so that people like you don't end up killing themselves or everyone around them.
Slow down Paul Walker.

6GC Chat - Go there: [url="http://www.griffgirl.com/forum/chat/index.php[/url]
post Jan 2, 2011 - 1:40 AM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Jan 2, 2011 - 1:54 AM
+Quote Post
95CelicaST

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 5, '05
Currently Offline

stock for stock this is faster than a mr2 turbo. Probably even faster than a st-185, so it's faster than a 2nd gen-equipped car. Not necessarily based on hp numbers alone, but because of the linear torque curve, which is something the 3sgte doesn't have.

Coupled with the shorter ratio s54, this should fly. I'm pretty pumped to get it done.

--------------------

**** Photobucket
post Jan 2, 2011 - 4:05 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

nice...

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Jan 2, 2011 - 1:31 PM
+Quote Post
Johnnyny

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 28, '09
From York pa
Currently Offline

esto es SEXO!
post Jan 2, 2011 - 1:34 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

I would HIGHLY suggest getting those headers coated with a ceramic insulation to keep engine bay heat down, would not wrap those as there are too many welds in the middle of sections of piping. wrapping near welds isn't good.

As for the red paint issue, I'd suggest hitting the paint with some medium rubbing compound and then some fine rubbing compound on a good buffer. that should bring the red back to its natural color without taking too much paint off. finish the compounds with some swirl remover like a good glaze or scratch-x/swirl-x, then several coats of good wax or zaino.

--------------------
post Jan 2, 2011 - 1:56 PM
+Quote Post
95CelicaST

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 5, '05
Currently Offline

No way to do anything with the paint - the car was painted a year or so before I bought the car, so that is just a picture to show the paint color difference.

The headers will probably be left as-is. The underbody plastics for the engine bay make a scoop that pushes air up through the bay and out the engine lid. The bay doesn't get real hot.

Hey, why not another picture from this morning. I'm on my way to the parts store to try and find another filter that fits, just shorter.

This post has been edited by 95CelicaST: Jan 2, 2011 - 4:08 PM

--------------------

**** Photobucket
post Jan 2, 2011 - 8:11 PM
+Quote Post
95CelicaST

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 5, '05
Currently Offline

Success. The "generic" Toyota filter "1394" (goes on most every Toyota 4-cyl) fits, and gives about a 1/4 to 1/2" of clearance.

Just a note of observation... I went to Napa and was looking thru their cross reference book and began comparing the Napa brand filter to the amsoil... and found that they're the exact same, just a different sticker on them, and set back an additional $10 for the amsoil one.

Since I was just looking to experiment, I bought the cheap $4.99 filter. Will be returning it and getting a better filter.

--------------------

**** Photobucket
post Jan 2, 2011 - 9:59 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

nah, get them coated. wink.gif trust me. at idle that V6 is going to put ALOT more heat through that thin stainless tubing with no heat shrouds than your 4 banger ever did...and it had heat shielding out the wazoo. The forward bulkhead has alot of shielding, but the butt end of the gas tank and fuel lines are right there also, get them coated.

It's MUCH easier now with the engine out than to decide to do it once the whole thing is installed.

This post has been edited by Bitter: Jan 2, 2011 - 10:00 PM

--------------------
post Jan 3, 2011 - 2:28 PM
+Quote Post
95CelicaST

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 5, '05
Currently Offline

.... Alright, I'll trust you on this. Haha. There is a place down the road that'll ceramic coat them for $165 in a standard ceramic color (most likely just a natural color, nothing like black or blue), or $195 for ceramichrome finish. I'm getting a bonus this week so that'll be covered... Money easily earned is money easily spent!

Called THMotorsports this morning to figure out what their major malfunction is. I've been waiting for over a week for them to ship my flywheel. They said it shipped on the 30th, and it'll be here on the 10th.... I asked if they were having someone walk it from NJ to WA, because 12 day shipping wasn't going to cut it.

A word to the wise: NEVER do business with THMotorsports.

--------------------

**** Photobucket
post Jan 3, 2011 - 7:40 PM
+Quote Post
DEATH

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 19, '07
From tx
Currently Offline

QUOTE (95CelicaST @ Jan 2, 2011 - 12:54 AM) *
stock for stock this is faster than a mr2 turbo. Probably even faster than a st-185, so it's faster than a 2nd gen-equipped car. Not necessarily based on hp numbers alone, but because of the linear torque curve, which is something the 3sgte doesn't have.

If we lived closer I'd LOVE to test that theory with you biggrin.gif
Awesome project dude - that v6 will be a HUGE improvement over the 5S!

--------------------

ENGINE: '93 RC 3S-GTE/WRC CT-20b [18-20PSI]
PERF: TRD/HKS/ARP/NGK/MSD/ACT/Blitz/STRI/APEX'i/TwosRus/GReddy/Magnaflo/KOYO
SUSP: Tein/Bilstein/SusTech/
INT: SS-III SEATS/Toyota Hyper Sports
EXT: WRC/TRD/404
QUOTE (lagos @ Aug 25, 2010 - 10:13 AM) *
Its a safety feature so that people like you don't end up killing themselves or everyone around them.
Slow down Paul Walker.

6GC Chat - Go there: [url="http://www.griffgirl.com/forum/chat/index.php[/url]
post Jan 3, 2011 - 8:54 PM
+Quote Post
Keiri

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 6, '04
From Charlotte, NC
Currently Offline

This build is really awe-inspiring. Definitely keeping an eye on it.
PS: That engine is luscious.

--------------------
Has no more Celicas
post Jan 3, 2011 - 11:55 PM
+Quote Post
epocsirhc

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 8, '08
From Penn Valley,Ca
Currently Offline

QUOTE (95CelicaST @ Jan 3, 2011 - 3:28 PM) *
I asked if they were having someone walk it from NJ to WA, because 12 day shipping wasn't going to cut it.

A word to the wise: NEVER do business with THMotorsports.

What I think happened is the truck broke down, and a snail began towing the trailer! Seriously though my friend bought something from them, and it took forever and a day to get it.

--------------------
post Jan 4, 2011 - 1:18 AM
+Quote Post
95CelicaST

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 5, '05
Currently Offline

At this rate I'll have everything else and be waiting on the flywheel!

No, I gave myself a deadline for groups of parts, and the clutch and flywheel have until the 15th until I'm behind schedule... so I'm still making decent time.

I fixed a coworker's computer on the side the other day, and got $75 for that (nominal, I know), but today I got a check in the mail from Uncle Sam. Apparently I didn't add something into my tax return and they owed me an additional $90. So there's $165 thats going straight into ceramic coating (thanks Bitter) the headers, however I need to take the headers down to my exhaust shop and have o2 bungs welded into the collectors. They came without o2 sensor ports, and I need one for each bank, and a third to go into the secondary piping. Probably won't cost much, but I'll get that done before I get them coated. Unless I can put those o2 sensors into the piping right after the headers...

Getting paid on Wednesday - and I believe a quarterly profit-sharing bonus is going to be attached. My purchases for that check are going to be:

Ceramic coating the headers - $165
Gasket set - $? Not sure what the cost is going to be.
Timing belt (I believe the water pump, pulleys, and tensioner are new, so I'm going to inspect them and replace as needed) $? Not much.
Flywheel bolts $15

Probably some other misc. crap. Little nickel and dime stuff. It's getting down to the point where there isn't much left to do but drop it in. I'll send off the harness after my paycheck on the 20th, and once I have the harness back I hope to have gaskets replaced and the motor buttoned up. I'll plug the harness in on the motor, and then it'll be swap time. smile.gif

--------------------

**** Photobucket
post Jan 4, 2011 - 2:40 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

oK Call me an idiot, why is that header pointing to the front?

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Jan 4, 2011 - 2:50 AM
+Quote Post
95CelicaST

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 5, '05
Currently Offline

Idiot smile.gif

that's the rear bank - it's pointing straight back.

--------------------

**** Photobucket

35 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 12:20 PM