> ST204 to Avalon Caliper, Single to Dual Piston
post Jul 30, 2015 - 3:37 PM
+Quote Post
ILoveMySilly97

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 8, '12
From Hanford/Fresno, Ca
Currently Offline

This thread is to clarify all the confusions of this swap. Here's the common Qs and As.

Q: Are they BOLT ON? Meaning the stock pads and bracket will work?
A: Yes they are. They're a direct bolt on. No modifications needed. Everything will work with it. Pads, bracket, brake line, rotor, etc. etc.

Q: Do they fit the ST(AT200) models?
A: No they don't fit.

Q: Which year Avalon?
A: Only the 95-97 Avalon W/ABS has the dual pistons. The ones w/o ABS are single piston.

Q: Does the Camry V6 or the ES300 Caliper bolt on too?
A: More than likely yes. I never done it before so I can't say it is bolt on.

Q: How much did you spend on the swap?
A: I spent $41.68(the set of caliper from a local PickNPull) and $7.68(rebuild kit). This swap shouldn't cost more then $60. I also spent another $15.03 on spray cans to respray it.

Q: How hard was the swap?
A: It's bolt on so as long as you know how to turn a ratchet or wrench. Then it's an easy job.

Q: Was there any noticeable difference in braking power?
A: Yes there was. It's a lot more smoother feel and a little more stopping power.

Below are going to be some pics to compare the GT vs Avalon equipment.

Avalon rotor on the left and GT rotor on the right. As you can see the diameter is the same as the GT rotor so no problem there.

Avalon Caliper on the top and GT rotor on the bottom. The Avalon has a bore of 43x2 = 86mm total. Vs the GT which only has 57mm. So that's a difference of 29mm! Which is close to half more bore size of the GT. Also note that both pads are the same number. So that's a direct bolt on.

Here's some pics of my GT brackets mounted onto the Avalon Caliper.

Here's a pic of it actually mounted onto my car. Direct bolt on. smile.gif

This post has been edited by ILoveMySilly97: Aug 7, 2015 - 7:03 PM

--------------------
post Jul 31, 2015 - 1:22 PM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

They are bolt on. No how to is necessary?

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Jul 31, 2015 - 4:06 PM
+Quote Post
ILoveMySilly97

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 8, '12
From Hanford/Fresno, Ca
Currently Offline

QUOTE (BonzaiCelica @ Jul 31, 2015 - 11:22 AM) *
They are bolt on. No how to is necessary?

This is more of a confirmation. Since there's still confusion in the forum. I should probably add that this is how to replace front brake calipers. Lol.

--------------------
post Aug 2, 2015 - 10:15 PM
+Quote Post
mi645

Enthusiast
Joined May 23, '12
From northridge,CA
Currently Offline

These are not bolt on, u gotta modify a lot of things to fit these calipers, this is not even a 30% bolt on, so much fab work and mods needed.
post Aug 4, 2015 - 6:59 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

really, the mr2 calipers were a bolt on.

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Aug 5, 2015 - 12:22 AM
+Quote Post
1994Celica

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 5, '09
From West Texas, USA
Currently Offline

I think he's being sarcastic.....

--------------------
JDM Part King

post Aug 5, 2015 - 3:06 PM
+Quote Post
Noahwhite2014

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 1, '14
From Hawaii
Currently Offline

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but will this work for the GT, the ST, or both?
post Aug 5, 2015 - 5:23 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

We dont know. Its pending

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Aug 5, 2015 - 5:41 PM
+Quote Post
1994Celica

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 5, '09
From West Texas, USA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Aug 5, 2015 - 5:23 PM) *
We dont know. Its pending

Well I remember him posting this in my thread about Avalon calipers.
QUOTE (mi645 @ Oct 28, 2013 - 11:55 PM) *
Yes sir I can assure you it bolts up I have them on my car I even used stock caliper bracket on the calipers I got from abalone everything else is stock from my Celica gt

--------------------
JDM Part King

post Aug 5, 2015 - 9:38 PM
+Quote Post
mi645

Enthusiast
Joined May 23, '12
From northridge,CA
Currently Offline

These avalon calipers are 100% bolt on, on a gt car, will work with same stock gt bracket and brake pads and brake rotor.
On an ST the other hand,which i dont have. U probably will need the avalon caliper, the 94-99 gt caliper bracket, and brake pads and rotors.
And then it should be all bolt ons.
Idk why they made a thread for this, most people installing avalon calipers r mainly gt cars, which is bolt on, u dont need a thread, it should be for the ST models.
Anyways the other tricky part people, seem to be confused about. If u go to a junk yard,
The avalon ur looking for or camry or lexus es300. Some say, it has to have abs, blah blah blah, its start to confuse people.
Its pretty simple, those models i listed, if they arent equipped with abs, then they use a single piston caliper, if they r equipped, then they have the dual piston caliper. So if u see any of those models! With dual piston calipers, those r the right ones, no questions asked. They dont make 2 different kins of dual piston calipers for those models, i forget the years, someone please list them. But anyways, they make only 1 kind of dual piston calipers for those, and they all fit the same. If u get it off a toyota, it will say aisin on it, and if u get em off a lexus, they have a different name stamped to it, i forget.
post Aug 5, 2015 - 9:43 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

are we sure, cuz its still pending DIY

--------------------

post Aug 6, 2015 - 12:28 AM
+Quote Post
mi645

Enthusiast
Joined May 23, '12
From northridge,CA
Currently Offline

I have pix on my thread my project showing i have dual pistons installed with my coilover system from. A long time ago i beleive its there. I had these on ny car and then put them on a 7gc.
I have gt4 brakes now.

So yes, i am for sure, idk whose we, but i my self installed these on my car, installed on a 7gc gts.
And personally installed on bonzaicelica's car. Because he couldnt use the ss3 twin piston calipers.
post Aug 6, 2015 - 12:34 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

mmm, why is it still pending?

--------------------

post Aug 6, 2015 - 8:08 PM
+Quote Post
mi645

Enthusiast
Joined May 23, '12
From northridge,CA
Currently Offline

Idk. But w.e thats 3 people confirming it, do as u like, i agree with the part he said it has much smoother feel, that is true, but stopping power imporovement, i did not gain or feel any stopping power... Its the same, and i dont use abs.
post Aug 6, 2015 - 8:55 PM
+Quote Post
jesse09

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 19, '09
From Texas
Currently Offline

Never mind. Just read the updated Q and A frown.gif

This post has been edited by jesse09: Aug 6, 2015 - 9:02 PM
post Aug 7, 2015 - 9:06 AM
+Quote Post
Jmk91

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 25, '15
From United States
Currently Offline

Looks good! I ordered my upgrade today! Via advanced already comes rebuilt ran me 100$ (plus 60$ core I'll give em my gt calipers they'll never know) no rust to sand and 100% rebuilt. Will paint em black before install.

This post has been edited by Jmk91: Aug 7, 2015 - 9:06 AM
post Aug 7, 2015 - 4:59 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

But why still pending

--------------------

post Aug 7, 2015 - 5:13 PM
+Quote Post
Jmk91

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 25, '15
From United States
Currently Offline

QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Aug 7, 2015 - 5:59 PM) *
But why still pending

What do you mean? He showed pictures of them on his car so how is it still pending?
post Aug 7, 2015 - 8:45 PM
+Quote Post
Spider77

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 17, '08
From JB MDL, NJ
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Jmk91 @ Aug 7, 2015 - 6:13 PM) *
But why still pending

What do you mean? He showed pictures of them on his car so how is it still pending?

Because the post said "-still pending", that's why. Obviously now it doesn't, it did update...soooooooo.

This post has been edited by Spider77: Aug 7, 2015 - 8:46 PM
post Aug 7, 2015 - 8:51 PM
+Quote Post
Jmk91

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 25, '15
From United States
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Spider77 @ Aug 7, 2015 - 9:45 PM) *
QUOTE (Jmk91 @ Aug 7, 2015 - 6:13 PM) *
But why still pending

Because the post said "-still pending", that's why. Obviously now it doesn't, it did update...soooooooo.

Ohhhhh lmao

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 29th, 2024 - 6:30 AM