> Official "custom" exhaust thread, for all engines
post Aug 20, 2008 - 12:10 PM
+Quote Post
GotToyota

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 15, '07
From Fort Worth, TX
Currently Offline

Since there is an exhaust thread pretty much every other day, I thought it would be good to make one for those looking to make their own custom exhaust. Many people tend to go this way because the aftermarket systems for our cars are becoming more and more difficult to find. Let's begin?

What size piping would be best for my GT/ST//GT4/etc?
This question really depends on your goals for the car, and what you do with it. My typical rule of thumb that has worked best for me, is 2.5" and below for N/A vehicles, and 3"-3.5" for turbo'd vehicles. The bigger the piping on an N/A, the more bottom end you will lose, however, you will gain better top end. Find your trade off point.

What about mufflers?
This is where it gets interesting. The muffler you use will determine how your car sounds. There are many different ones out there, and different types. You can have the traditional canisters, which you see mainly in the tuner scene, then there's the Magnaflow/Flowmaster type. Here are pictures showing each:

Canister:

Flowmaster/Magnaflow:

The difference in these mufflers comes from inside. Quality mufflers will have better construction and better quality inside baffling, which will bring out nice sound from your exhaust. Cheap mufflers like the ones you see on Ebay will use sound metallic and tacky. My personal recommendation if you choose to get a canister would be either the Megan Racing N1 replica ($70-$80 on Ebay), or the OBX B10 ($50-$60 on Ebay).

How do I get the piping?
Now here comes the fun part. After you've purchased your muffler and decided on your piping size, you get the piping itself. You can buy DIY exhaust kits online, which are fine if you know how to weld, but otherwise I recommend going to a local exhaust shop. From here, you can tell them what you're wanting out of your exhaust system, plus you can customize your muffler placement/angle, as well as the design of the piping, so that you can get the most straight piping possible for your setup. I paid $130 for 2.5" piping on my Supra, this included the piping itself, a resonator, and the labor to put everything on. You will want to get piping from the cat to the back of the car. Basically they cut the piping off from where it runs into your cat, and then weld on bigger piping. Many exhaust shops will NOT condone the removing of your cat, nor do I condone it. This brings problems with emissions, as well as state inspections, not to mention your car will sound like crap. I highly recommend getting a resonator added in with your piping to ensure a better sounding exhaust, you'll be glad you did it.

Here is my final result with my Supra:

I hope this will give you guys a better understanding on what to look for and get when wanting to get an exhaust system.

-Matt

This post has been edited by GotToyota: Aug 26, 2008 - 9:44 PM
post Aug 20, 2008 - 12:26 PM
+Quote Post
KAOS

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 18, '06
From Calgary, Canada
Currently Offline

Awesome write up Matt - thank you!

--------------------
post Aug 20, 2008 - 7:46 PM
+Quote Post
elastikman

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 26, '08
From Portugal
Currently Offline

Niceee post! smile.gif

Dont forget the Greedy (or replicas like OBX) SP2 muffler used by many owners 6gc!

Some blabla...tongue.gif

The GReddy SP2 Catback Exhaust Systems are 2nd-generation exhaust systems based on GReddy's famous SP catback system series. The GReddy SP2 (Street Performance) Catback Exhaust system continues GReddy's tradition of high-quality performance exhaust systems.

Through customer feedback, GReddy redesigned the SP2 catback exhaust as a full stainless steel catback exhaust system that is similarly priced to the original GReddy SP exhaust system. The new GReddy SP2 catback exhaust features a SUS304 stainless steel muffler canister with extra strong SUS430 stainless-steel end caps that feature a deep, high polish. Manufactured using state-of-the-art robotic seam welding, the single-wall canister of each GReddy SP2 catback exhaust features increased rigidity for maximum durability and life. The new GReddy SP2 catback exhaust system also features thick walled (1.5mm), polished SUS304 stainless steel mandrel bent piping for better resonance and vibration control and enhanced corrosion resistance and durability. New lightweight, flared and stamped stainless steel flanges are also used to provide improved sealing characteristics. With over 35 types of internal perforated tubes, each GReddy SP2 catback exhaust system is specifically tuned for the best combination of sound and performance.

The large, high volume GReddy SP2 exhaust muffler provides maximum exhaust flow with a deep, pleasing tone. The GReddy SP2 catback exhaust is especially effective when used on vehicles with an aftermarket turbocharger system.
The unique outer-curled oval exhaust tip is embossed with the famous GReddy logo.
Most GReddy SP2 exhaust systems are complete catback units, which do not effect emission related hardware. Each GReddy SP2 catback exhaust system is designed for a specific car application and can be bolted on out of the box, using factory mounting hangers.

This post has been edited by elastikman: Aug 20, 2008 - 7:48 PM
post Aug 22, 2008 - 7:24 AM
+Quote Post
GotToyota

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 15, '07
From Fort Worth, TX
Currently Offline

Let's get this stickied! tongue.gif
post Aug 22, 2008 - 3:21 PM
+Quote Post
Spider77

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 17, '08
From JB MDL, NJ
Currently Offline

Yeah, you got a point. Everyday I see some question about exhaust in regards to piping size and mufflers. It would be nice to have a reference so people can just go right to it.
post Aug 23, 2008 - 5:06 PM
+Quote Post
Athorn

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 4, '08
From Clearwater, Fl
Currently Offline

I just got the obx muffler put on last week. I did not get larger piping from the catback because it sounds exactly like the stock muffler did. I think i will upgrade to the apexi n1 universal muffler and get 2.5 inch piping done. So i hope after that it will sound decent.
post Aug 24, 2008 - 6:09 PM
+Quote Post
windowlicker

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 2, '08
From SoCal
Currently Offline

what diameter piping does the 1.8 liter have? just got the car a couple months ago and thinking about getting a different muffler.
post Aug 24, 2008 - 6:11 PM
+Quote Post
GotToyota

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 15, '07
From Fort Worth, TX
Currently Offline

I NEVER recommend welding a new muffler onto the stock piping, you will NOT see any benefits (other then sound, if you consider that one).

This post has been edited by GotToyota: Aug 24, 2008 - 6:11 PM
post Aug 24, 2008 - 6:34 PM
+Quote Post
Athorn

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 4, '08
From Clearwater, Fl
Currently Offline

I know you did not recomend it but i told the muffler shop what i wanted and they just welded it on to stock. But i did not get any sound diffrence from stock with the obx. It sounds like a prius lol. But i am thinking about going with this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...rksid=p3907.m29 and get 2.5 inch cpiping from the ccatback..and watch as they do it this time. I think it will be diffrent i have never seen a black muffler and i think it will look pretty cool with my black celi. AND thanks for emailing that guy gotToyota..i did not mean to "shoot" the messanger.
post Aug 24, 2008 - 7:06 PM
+Quote Post
GotToyota

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 15, '07
From Fort Worth, TX
Currently Offline

You can go with that muffler, but you'll be getting the same results as with the OBX. IMO, it's not worth the extra $150 dollars just for a genuine Apexi. Go back to the exhaust shop, tell them you want to keep the OBX muffler, but just want 2.5" catback piping put on.

-Matt
post Aug 24, 2008 - 7:16 PM
+Quote Post
windowlicker

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 2, '08
From SoCal
Currently Offline

QUOTE (GotToyota @ Aug 24, 2008 - 7:11 PM) *
I NEVER recommend welding a new muffler onto the stock piping, you will NOT see any benefits (other then sound, if you consider that one).

i bought the car for $700 and really don't care to spend money on this car. the stock muffler is breaking apart on the inside and has a little rattle to it. since you can get a fart can for like $30 off ebay, i figure what the hell. just wanted to know the stock piping diameter is.
post Aug 24, 2008 - 8:46 PM
+Quote Post
Athorn

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 4, '08
From Clearwater, Fl
Currently Offline

IS it the larger piping that gives you the sound becase right now mine is silent.
post Aug 26, 2008 - 12:24 PM
+Quote Post
GotToyota

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 15, '07
From Fort Worth, TX
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Athorn @ Aug 24, 2008 - 8:46 PM) *
IS it the larger piping that gives you the sound becase right now mine is silent.

Yes, the piping is what makes the difference most of the time. Though I know a guy that did the same thing as you and you can actually hear it.
post Aug 26, 2008 - 8:11 PM
+Quote Post
Akirad1

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 2, '08
From Fort Worth, Texas
Currently Offline

who me mine sounds pretty good but i put the silencer back in the droneing sound was gettin on my nerves

--------------------
post Aug 26, 2008 - 9:01 PM
+Quote Post
Nyczroflz

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 7, '08
From Queens, New York
Currently Offline

yup... going catless def makes it louder... sometimes i wonder y i do things like that... kindasad.gif

--------------------
sig removed. too big.
post Aug 26, 2008 - 9:34 PM
+Quote Post
Athorn

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 4, '08
From Clearwater, Fl
Currently Offline

what if i went catless and got a resonater?
post Aug 26, 2008 - 9:45 PM
+Quote Post
GotToyota

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 15, '07
From Fort Worth, TX
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Athorn @ Aug 26, 2008 - 9:34 PM) *
what if i went catless and got a resonater?

Don't go catless. Get the 2.5" piping, and a resonator. If you go catless, regardless of the resonator, you will have a VERY raspy sound and not pass emissions.

EDIT: Nevermind on the emissions, I see you're from Florida. Oh well, you'll still sound like crap. wink.gif

This post has been edited by GotToyota: Aug 26, 2008 - 10:26 PM
post Aug 26, 2008 - 10:39 PM
+Quote Post
Athorn

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 4, '08
From Clearwater, Fl
Currently Offline

What will a respnater do? i dont think it cant be any quiter lol.
post Aug 26, 2008 - 10:44 PM
+Quote Post
Akirad1

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 2, '08
From Fort Worth, Texas
Currently Offline

makes it quiter and its apart of emmisions so they arent legal to have off

--------------------
post Aug 26, 2008 - 10:51 PM
+Quote Post
Athorn

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 4, '08
From Clearwater, Fl
Currently Offline

Does it come stock with a resonater?

23 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 5:07 PM