> 3gste swap
post Feb 26, 2012 - 12:11 AM
+Quote Post
Tweekee

Enthusiast

Joined Feb 25, '12
From washington
Currently Offline

I have had my Celica for the past 12 years, She has been a good girl - I have alot of respect for this car - 1.8 basic 5 speed.

I will be picking up a 95 GT shell that is someones project car - with a 4th gen 3gste and a Camry V6 Tranny

Where are some good places to look for "How To's"?

What are the parts needed?

Are there things that I should check on this new engine before the swap? (40k miles)

I dont want this to be loud or out of the ordinary (no rice burner noises) & I want to keep the stock look.

Are there things that I should be taking from the GT shell before it gets scrapped? above and beyond the struts & brakes.

Am I getting in over my head? ... I will be having help from my boyfriend who has done motor swaps before with his Honda's and Isuzu.

Im Concerned about ruining a great car - should I be?

Was 2k to much to pay for the engine, GT Tranny( and v6 Camry), both ECU's, wireing harness, Shell, carbon fiber hood and boxes of extra misc. items

Are there any high $$$ items that I should be on the look out for needed for this swap?
post Feb 26, 2012 - 9:16 AM
+Quote Post
kurt95gt

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 23, '11
From kenton ohio
Currently Offline

http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=77843
This should help awnser alot of you questions

--------------------
95 gt coupe, v6 swap weekend toy
99 gt hatch beams swapped wife's
94 st hatch my daily driver
http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=82235
n
post Feb 26, 2012 - 9:52 AM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Tweekee @ Feb 26, 2012 - 12:11 AM) *
Im Concerned about ruining a great car - should I be?

No. Many have done the swap to great enjoyment. Even greater is being able to pass on that manual transmission so somebody else can do an auto-to-manual swap.

QUOTE (Tweekee @ Feb 26, 2012 - 12:11 AM) *
Was 2k to much to pay for the engine, GT Tranny( and v6 Camry), both ECU's, wireing harness, Shell, carbon fiber hood and boxes of extra misc. items

Negatory. That is a fantastic price for all of that stuff.

--------------------
'97 ST \ Eibach \ KYB \ Kenwood \ Alpine \ Cusco \ OEM+ [sold 10/18]
'93 MX-5 LE
post Feb 26, 2012 - 2:53 PM
+Quote Post
Tweekee

Enthusiast

Joined Feb 25, '12
From washington
Currently Offline

Thank You guys - Im Happy to have good comments, help, and positive feedback on this smile.gif!!! People that dont have love for the car are super negative about the $$ being spent on an older car... But I have to say - she has been paid off for almost 9 years, never let me down, never stranded me, and I find this a much better way to spend money on a car rather than putting out 30k, and myself in debt on a new one. Much Love for this car! I got an great deal on her back in 2000 $16k 30K Miles 1 other owner. Thanks again for the positive feed back - I will post some pictures of her later, Im excited to get started!!
post Feb 26, 2012 - 5:00 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

That's a great price! The 4th gen 3S isn't as favorable as the 3rd gen due to some wiring work needed but it sounds like that part is already done for you. Was the swap complete or incomplete in the GT? There is a list of things you'll need but it may already be covered. GT suspension is the same as your ST so no worries about that, but you'll definitely want the GT rear brakes. It's much smarter to keep your Celica than get a new car, so I wish you the best of luck with the swap!

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Feb 26, 2012 - 5:06 PM
+Quote Post
ricochet1490

Enthusiast
Joined May 3, '11
From Ohio
Currently Offline

Why are you scrapping the GT shell? Is it in bad shape?
I would take off several things that could be resold or re used on your car like the headlights.
A bunch of people are looking for shifter cables, or any number of things.

Does your ST have anything wrong with it? I guess I'm just wondering why take apart a running car, if you have a shell.

But either way, the stickies in the forced induction section of this forum are going to be a gold mine of info.
Good luck on the swap. This forum has loads of info on the 3sgte motor swap. With yours being a 4th gen motor, some things will be different, but you should still find a lot of info on it.

Most importantly, Have fun!

--------------------
post Feb 26, 2012 - 6:52 PM
+Quote Post
Tweekee

Enthusiast

Joined Feb 25, '12
From washington
Currently Offline

The GT is literal just the shell - I'm only getting it because it has the brakes - struts - back hatch - the harness and wires are already stripped - there is no Engine in the GT - the Body is straight but it has the doors with remote key less ( NO handles or locks NO Remote!) - Hatch is the same.

The guy wanted 500 for the tires but I just got a set of Nifty 17' MOMO's and new tires last summer.

Its coming on a flat bed... and unfortunately will be on blocks. I'm going to raid what can be re-used. Tho I did consider Just using the GT but its going to be more work to tear down my current car to put everything in this other car - there is way more to do than just the swap. It really is disappointing because its a beautiful car. (I'll take pictures)I didn't see the shifter when I checked the car out, but I'm getting a box of goodies so that is a good possibility its there.

The wiring Harness has been started but it not complete. This is someones else's dream car that I'm am squashing. Even if the GT was in better working order I think I would still scrap it. Its not my car <3 smile.gif

I'll post what I have left later - I know that there are a pair of SI seats in it that I Don't want. Windshield and headlights look clean, dash and some interior are stripped but they are coming with it. I will have an extra tranny - I'm not sure which I am going to use yet ( I have 2 options ), pretty sure that its going to be the Camry v6 Tranny... That seems to be the most popular.

Again, Thanks You!!!! Im so happy that there are so many good Vibes going for this project!

This post has been edited by Tweekee: Feb 26, 2012 - 6:58 PM
post Feb 26, 2012 - 7:35 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

Is it the factory keyless entry? If so, the remotes are cheap and easy to get from Ebay. The GT transmission will work with the 3S but the Camry transmission will be better. The problem is that it requires custom axles. Be sure to post pictures!

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Feb 26, 2012 - 7:39 PM
+Quote Post
Tweekee

Enthusiast

Joined Feb 25, '12
From washington
Currently Offline

its not factory, but mine is!!!! thanks for the info my remote got smashed! smile.gif))) Yay!
post Feb 26, 2012 - 7:43 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BAB237131-022-TOYO...=item3cc2ada1f7

Hmm... They're normally about $10 cheaper than this. There's a how-to on reprogramming the remote in the Interior/Audio/Electrical section. It's pretty easy to do.

--------------------

1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Feb 28, 2012 - 12:47 AM
+Quote Post
Tweekee

Enthusiast

Joined Feb 25, '12
From washington
Currently Offline

Thank for the help guys. I am Tweakee BF and lets just say I fully support the swap woot.gif . I love the sight and will help me out alot when it becomes time to get project going.

I have a few questions.

This weekend is when we get the goods. It was hard to tell what all we where getting because the previous owner had things in boxes everywhere.

Some things I know we are getting.

Gt shell which is strip clean for the most part. I will be taking all the goods that are left on before Cutting it up for scraping it.
Gt tranny, and the other he says is a Camry v6 tranny. I think we only have the gt sifter cables and axles, none for the Camry tranny

So a few questions I know to use the Camry tranny we will to get gt4 cables. and rear mount Where is a good source on the cables and mount. ? What about the axles. I searched and I know I read it before but can't seem to find what axles I will need? Ones from a Camry for do I have to custom make some?
Also does the Camry tranny have a lsd? Is one recommend, If So what are some affordable options? What clutch would be best. I have both flywheels.
Will

I know it has a after market and the stock engine mounted intercooler. I will most likely use the after market.

I know the 4th gen takes some wiring work. I believe he has started it but I am not sure how far he made it. I will want to complete the wiring before beging the swap. Where is a good source of what needed.

I see lots of info on the 3rd gen but not as much on the 4th gen
I will want to replace the timing belt, water pump and gaskets before doing the swap. any thing you guys may want to add?

I know the previous owner just put new ball joints and tie rod in the GT along with brakes. Are the front brakes the same as in the st? I was thinking of swapping out the suspensions. I know he has new struts. and some coil overs.

anything else I should upgrade on the car prior to the swap? I plan up upgrading the exhaust. We don't want any raspy sounds and as quit as possible. She wants to maintain the stock look for the most part. Any recommendations there? We will have to use a cat and do emissions.

IS the the 4 gen 3sgte brain OBDII I would assume so. I think they just plug in the and check for codes when it comes to emissions time in WA.

Is there anything else that I shoud prepare for? I would like to limit the down time because she will be using my car during the swap and I will be stuck drivng the old 80's ford diesel kindasad.gif

post Mar 5, 2012 - 12:47 AM
+Quote Post
Tweekee

Enthusiast

Joined Feb 25, '12
From washington
Currently Offline

QUOTE (richee3 @ Feb 26, 2012 - 8:35 PM) *
Is it the factory keyless entry? If so, the remotes are cheap and easy to get from Ebay. The GT transmission will work with the 3S but the Camry transmission will be better. The problem is that it requires custom axles. Be sure to post pictures!

I would like to know more about the AXLE issues with the V6 Tranny - will the V6 tranny come with the LSD - I also know I need to get GT4 Shifter cables, where is a good place to get those?

Christmas came last night!!! I have the pics to prove it.

[/img]
[/img]

the Shell

[/img]

[/img]

Carbon Fiber Hood Damages

[/img]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[/img]

More to come as soon as I get day light

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 7:28 AM