> Will a Solar Steering Wheel Fit?
post Oct 15, 2017 - 11:28 AM
+Quote Post
HardHead93

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 7, '15
From New Mexico
Currently Offline

Curious about an upgrade I want to do down the road. Will a Toyota Solara steering wheel work on our cars? I ask because I had a 2006 Solara a while back and it has steering wheel controls I really liked. There is an adapter to make the controls work with the pioneer stereo I have. Will the wheel bolt to the steering column and will the airbag plug in? I checked this thread and it says nothing about it:
http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=78304

This post has been edited by HardHead93: Oct 15, 2017 - 11:29 AM
post Oct 15, 2017 - 12:49 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

The wheel should bolt up but the airbag plug will likely need modification. I vaguely remember something about single stage vs two stage airbags and our airbag ECU can’t deploy a dual stage airbag or something like that. I’m probably way wrong there but I could swear there’s a difference in the airbags in newer cars. As for the audio controls, I did it in our Celica. I used an auto trans IS300 wheel and adapted the shifter buttons to work as audio controls. I’ll post up the specifics later when I get a little more time. thumbsup.gif

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Oct 15, 2017 - 2:01 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

Alright, got a chance to sit down and get my info together. My setup is an IS300 wheel with the E-shift buttons, IS300 clock spring, PAC Audio SWI-RC interface for the steering wheel controls, and Pioneer double din head unit that allows for remote input. The IS300 clock spring is plug and play in the ‘98-99 Celicas but 94-97 will need a new plug on the harness to plug in to the car. The benefit of the IS clock spring is that it has two extra pins that allow the signal from the buttons to get out, vs our clock spring that if I recall correctly, every pin is used. You may need more than just the two extra pins though, so you may need the entire Solara setup. Leaving the clock spring, I had to run extra wires from the steering column to the radio, where the interface is. My setup only allows for volume up and down, but that’s plenty for me.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Oct 16, 2017 - 8:14 PM
+Quote Post
slavie

Enthusiast
Joined May 2, '15
From NY
Currently Offline

Yes, but I would recommend you go for a lunar one... Lol. Sorry, couldn't resist.

It will bolt on, sure. I believe Solara wheel would be bigger diameter (an inch or half), something to consider in the small car that Celica's are. Dual stage aigbags, yes, you'd need to wire it to the "higher" stage one. you'll need the clockspring to account for more wires, or you may be able to re-route some if you ditch the cruise control.
post Oct 17, 2017 - 7:35 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

anything fits, but be careful when wiring airbags. why not look into another steering wheel where airbag is not dual stage.

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Oct 22, 2017 - 6:51 PM
+Quote Post
1994Celica

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 5, '09
From West Texas, USA
Currently Offline

Just use the TVR safety method......Don't crash. No need to worry about airbags then.

This post has been edited by 1994Celica: Oct 22, 2017 - 6:52 PM

--------------------
JDM Part King

post Oct 22, 2017 - 8:14 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Well nobody plans on crashing, unless you're a Mustang owner.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 29th, 2024 - 10:11 AM