> 3sgte incoming, GT4
post Nov 19, 2013 - 9:01 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Well, just checked and the entire head gasket set is under $60 shipped off Rock Auto. So, just doing that and including fluids it'll be under $100. tongue.gif Might as well do timing, it's only another $40 or so for the timing set. Still well under $200 to do everything yourself and having the head resurfaced.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Nov 22, 2013 - 7:38 PM
+Quote Post
DUHCHINKYAZN

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 3, '12
From AUS
Currently Offline

QUOTE (bsamps4 @ Nov 19, 2013 - 3:58 PM) *
QUOTE (Box @ Nov 18, 2013 - 3:02 PM) *
What about just replacing the head gasket...? That's the most feasible option cost wise. Do it yourself and it won't cost over $100.

What he said. Only it's for sure more than 100 bucks once you add up the fluids, gasket set, timing belt, tensioner, etc...but still. Just fix it. It only takes a couple days (if you're doing it right ie... sending the head to a machine shop to get resurfaced).

Thanks for the replies guys! Im still unsure on what to do atm, but really would like to do a 3s swap smile.gif been reading around the forums and have been tempted by other owners that have done the swap.

@bsamps, just a quick question does the stock 5s tranny bolt to a 3sgte? (Considering that you've done the swap)

I have searched around the forum for this and everyone says yes but some toyota nerd nearby where i live thinks not; so yeah.

Thanks smile.gif

--------------------
It's my car, I do what I want... Don't like it? Buy your own and do it your way.

The best CELI in Western Australia. (Soon to be)

http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showto...=0#entry1009080

^progress thread.
post Nov 22, 2013 - 9:23 PM
+Quote Post
Keiri

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 6, '04
From Charlotte, NC
Currently Offline

QUOTE (DUHCHINKYAZN @ Nov 22, 2013 - 7:38 PM) *
What about just replacing the head gasket...? That's the most feasible option cost wise. Do it yourself and it won't cost over $100.

What he said. Only it's for sure more than 100 bucks once you add up the fluids, gasket set, timing belt, tensioner, etc...but still. Just fix it. It only takes a couple days (if you're doing it right ie... sending the head to a machine shop to get resurfaced).

Thanks for the replies guys! Im still unsure on what to do atm, but really would like to do a 3s swap smile.gif been reading around the forums and have been tempted by other owners that have done the swap.

@bsamps, just a quick question does the stock 5s tranny bolt to a 3sgte? (Considering that you've done the swap)

I have searched around the forum for this and everyone says yes but some toyota nerd nearby where i live thinks not; so yeah.

Thanks smile.gif

Yes, the S54 manual tranny that comes with the 5S will bolt-on with no problems AND should be fine with a 3SGTE as long as you aren't putting down crazy amounts of horsepower or torque.

--------------------
Has no more Celicas
post Nov 22, 2013 - 9:44 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

Yes, it will fit. It's done on 9/10 swaps.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Nov 22, 2013 - 10:53 PM
+Quote Post
danmumo

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 10, '13
From Ontario, Canada
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Keiri @ Nov 22, 2013 - 9:23 PM) *
QUOTE (DUHCHINKYAZN @ Nov 22, 2013 - 7:38 PM) *

Thanks smile.gif

Yes, the S54 manual tranny that comes with the 5S will bolt-on with no problems AND should be fine with a 3SGTE as long as you aren't putting down crazy amounts of horsepower or torque.

QUOTE (richee3 @ Nov 22, 2013 - 9:44 PM) *
Yes, it will fit. It's done on 9/10 swaps.

And would you also use the axles from the 5s or...?
post Nov 22, 2013 - 10:55 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

Yes. Same transmission so it uses the same axles.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Nov 23, 2013 - 12:14 AM
+Quote Post
DUHCHINKYAZN

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 3, '12
From AUS
Currently Offline

QUOTE (richee3 @ Nov 22, 2013 - 10:55 PM) *
Yes. Same transmission so it uses the same axles.

Thanks for info guys!

Looking for someone that can help me put the engine now and maybe have a 3s swapped celica soon!

Of course after reading few other peoples threads for more info and after sourcing a halfcut smile.gif

This post has been edited by DUHCHINKYAZN: Nov 23, 2013 - 12:18 AM

--------------------
It's my car, I do what I want... Don't like it? Buy your own and do it your way.

^progress thread.
post Nov 23, 2013 - 8:21 AM
+Quote Post
bsamps4

Enthusiast
Joined May 16, '10
From Raleigh
Currently Offline

You have to get a hybrid clutch setup. Needs to have 5sfe clutch spline with 3sgte pressure plate. Spec makes this clutch as well as other brands. I'm sure there are other guys on here that can chime in with the other clutch companies that make the hybrid kit. I'm just partial to Spec.

--------------------
post Nov 23, 2013 - 8:50 AM
+Quote Post
DUHCHINKYAZN

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 3, '12
From AUS
Currently Offline

QUOTE (bsamps4 @ Nov 23, 2013 - 8:21 AM) *
You have to get a hybrid clutch setup. Needs to have 5sfe clutch spline with 3sgte pressure plate. Spec makes this clutch as well as other brands. I'm sure there are other guys on here that can chime in with the other clutch companies that make the hybrid kit. I'm just partial to Spec.

Thanks for the info!

How much hp can the 5sfe box hold? Just wondering, not because im going to have a 600hp celica tongue.gif

--------------------

^progress thread.
post Nov 23, 2013 - 10:02 AM
+Quote Post
bsamps4

Enthusiast
Joined May 16, '10
From Raleigh
Currently Offline

300 at the wheels.

--------------------
post Mar 2, 2014 - 11:23 AM
+Quote Post
DUHCHINKYAZN

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 3, '12
From AUS
Currently Offline

UPDATEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Head gasket got fixed, re machined the head and all is running well now. Not much more to say besides some little updates i will post photos on later.

Oh i might be getting a GT4.

sorry for the long lost un updated info.

--------------------

^progress thread.
post Apr 11, 2015 - 9:56 AM
+Quote Post
DUHCHINKYAZN

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 3, '12
From AUS
Currently Offline

Hey guys been a long time since last post... LOL !

Anyway down to business massive update!

My 6gc currently looking the biz still on stockies hahaha and HG all fixed lol (was fixed a very long time ago)

http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y355/r...6551612159.jpeg

and to add i also got a GT Four

http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y355/r...0912_161814.jpg

Has Fmic, 3" exhaust, some ok looking wheels and some little goodies in the car. Am living the life...

BUTTTTTTTTT that was very short lived... While out cruising car started getting smokey... got home and checked it out... some internal damage has been done. And later taken to a shop found out cylinder 3 has taken some damage to the piston ring. Rebuild coming on!

SKIP SEVERAL MONTHS

Car is in shop
Parts a rolling through

Parts obtained-

BLOCK FULLY REMACHINED
HEAD FULLY MACHINED

CP PISTONS
SHWAJFAKSMCAK FORGED RODS shotpeened (sorry forgot the german brand)
COMETIC METAL HG
KING RACING Bearings
BC RACING 264 CAMS
TITANIUM VALVE SPRINGS/RETAINERS
HKS ADJ CAM GEARS
ARP HEADSTUDS
ARP MAIN STUDS

Part to be obtained-
GTX 3582R .82
Custom exhaust manifold
Tial 44m ext wastegate W/Screamer
Custom intake manifold with some port and polish hopefully

so far thats what i can remember atm sorry guys its very scrambled. Been busy with many things

Progress atm is engine is nearly finished building, engine bay all nicely cleaned down. deleted aircon/all pipes ripped out. Still thinking to block off the EGR but not main concern atm.

Also slowly figuring out my suspension setup but saving up for some BC's BR coils, had them on my 6gc and they still havent failed me so im heading that path probably.

Thanks for the read!

--------------------

^progress thread.

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 6:18 PM