6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Jeebus' ST205 - Getting her up to standards, Give me insight please!
post Aug 9, 2013 - 5:45 PM
+Quote Post
Jeebus

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 21, '13
From YYC
Currently Offline

So I finally got my lug nut locked wheels off after buying a key that didn't fit, and now I've started working on my car to slowly get it up to par to pass the Out of Province safety inspection.

Preface:
For those of you who don't know, I live in British Columbia, and bought this car a couple months ago in Alberta, Canada. Now the safety inspections are a little slack in AB, thus a bunch of "illegal" mods. Any car that isn't bought in BC is subjected to an Out of Province safety inspection, and they've been cracking down on the inspection sites as of late.

First off, I'd like to point that with the help of these two tutorials (Batman772's tutorial on 6gc.net, and another tutorial on Celica-Club.co.uk), I was able to remove my bumper. I encountered zip-ties, rusty bolts, missing push screws, busted plastic fender linings, and front spats that are held on with double sided adhesive only, as the plastic fenders that they're supposed to screw into is broken. I broke a bit of the plastic lining screw holes myself, as the rusy bolt would rotate, but not unscrew. frown.gif

Things I am currently working on before I get my safety inspection done:
[DONE] - making my horn functional (had to replace horn button and re-plug in horn wires)
[DONE] - Removing HID lights and replacing with conventional halogen bulbs.
- Replace JDM (non DOT stamped) lenses, with USDM ones.
- Installing DRL
- Replacing the cracked turbo intake hose (I accidentally cracked it when I properly fitted the intake filter to the intake hose, and am currently waiting for a SAMCO hose from the UK)

- Fill in 2 rock chips on the windshield
- Remove (illegally dark) tint from the driver and passenger front windows
- Possibly replace my almost balding winter tires that were included with the car

1. HID Lighting:

Now, let's identify what I just removed. They weren't very bright to say the least, and there's no brand identification mark on it whatsoever. I'd just like to know the quality of it. The owner said that they were 6k bulbs, and the ballast says 12v/35W on it, and the little transformer is 2300V.
Any ideas?

2. Replacing JDM Low-beam Housing with a USDM set

So, I purchased a set of USDM low-beam housings off of a '94 Celica ST, and got to the point where I was able to just bolt them onto my frame and put everything back together, but I ran into one problem.

The JDM housing has 2 extra bulbs in them!

The main bulb had the HID installed, to which I've bought replacement 9006 bulbs, but the second smaller light had a blue LED bulb on them.

From testing my light switch stock, it goes:
(0) - off
(1 click) - instrument lights, tail lights, and small bulb turns on
(2 clicks) - low beams turn on.

Push the stalk forward (or hold back), and the high beams come on, as long as I've turned the low beam switch to 1 click.

Then there's the additional dial on the stock, which is for my fog lights, and they turn on as long as my low beam switch on at 1 click.

So, is this smaller bulb the additional low beam H1 bulb that'd been replaced by the previous owner with a blue LED light?
What are my best options to replace this bulb with a more natural white LED?
Is this light my best opportunity to jump some wires so that they become the DRLs, or should I go with everyone else's solution of the fog lights as my DRLs?
I'm currently researching what my options are, and I've found that either getting a HAMSAR unit from Canadian Tire, or jimmy-rigging some wires to my fogs are what most people do.

Also, lastly, as you can see in the picture, the USDM lights do not have the 2nd hole for the smaller bulbs, thus making my small LED lights obsolete. Would it be best if I somehow transplanted the lens from the USDM (via heat gun) onto my JDM housing so that essentially I could have the low-beam headlight housing with 2 bulbs as well as DOT approved lenses?

Lots to write about, but this is my first car and I'm having a ****load of fun doing this on my own. The labour of love I'm putting into this car is worth it all, despite the semi-lemon that I bought, albeit it being a low price.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

This post has been edited by Jeebus: Sep 17, 2013 - 2:52 PM

Posts in this topic
- Jeebus   Jeebus' ST205 - Getting her up to standards   Aug 9, 2013 - 5:45 PM
- - ILoveMySilly97   The lil 194bulb in the lo beam housing is called t...   Aug 9, 2013 - 6:35 PM
- - Jeebus   Based on the housing I just took off, the JDM ligh...   Aug 9, 2013 - 7:43 PM
|- - ILoveMySilly97   QUOTE (Jeebus @ Aug 9, 2013 - 5:43 P...   Aug 10, 2013 - 12:45 AM
- - Jeebus   Bought myself a Milwaukee digital heat gun at Home...   Aug 13, 2013 - 4:13 AM
- - Jeebus   Day 2: using the oven. Pre-heat oven to 250F. I u...   Aug 13, 2013 - 2:49 PM
- - ILoveMySilly97   So basically the reason why you did this mod was b...   Aug 13, 2013 - 3:24 PM
- - delusionz   LOL @ accent lights. They are parking lamps. Low w...   Aug 13, 2013 - 4:32 PM
- - richee3   Our parking lights illuminate the turn signals.   Aug 13, 2013 - 10:05 PM
- - mkernz22   'Merica....FTF.   Aug 14, 2013 - 7:21 PM
- - Jeebus   Update: I've decided between two ideas. 1. H...   Aug 31, 2013 - 3:11 PM
- - Jeebus   I went ahead and bought this a few minutes ago for...   Sep 5, 2013 - 3:06 AM
- - Jeebus   Listen, I'm new to the car world here. I'm...   Sep 17, 2013 - 3:18 PM
- - Malek   Those coilovers are by company called Tein. Here...   Sep 17, 2013 - 5:51 PM
- - CelicaB   hate to disagree with anyone, but those tein coilo...   Sep 17, 2013 - 9:54 PM
- - Malek   You have me interested on that suspension ^^ I did...   Sep 18, 2013 - 12:09 AM
- - BonzaiCelica   Umm both are incorrect they are trd adjustsble sho...   Sep 18, 2013 - 11:08 AM
- - Rusty   See my TRD thread They are 4 stage dampening forc...   Sep 19, 2013 - 3:44 AM
- - dudeofchaos   ^ Anybody knows which setting is the stiffest betw...   Sep 21, 2013 - 10:20 AM
- - richee3   1 is the hardest.   Sep 21, 2013 - 5:51 PM
- - Jeebus   Quick question. I am looking into some new 205/50/...   Nov 15, 2013 - 7:43 PM
- - cardshark525   Or 225/45/17 that's what I have on mine. How m...   Nov 15, 2013 - 8:09 PM
- - SwissFerdi   225/45 on 17x8.   Nov 15, 2013 - 8:21 PM
- - Nihil   On my 7.5Jx17" wheels only 215/40R17 tires ar...   Nov 16, 2013 - 3:57 AM
- - Jeebus   Going into the winter (rain) season here in Vancou...   Nov 16, 2013 - 6:56 AM
|- - JoshuaM   QUOTE (Jeebus @ Nov 16, 2013 - 6:56 ...   Nov 16, 2013 - 7:52 AM
- - Jeebus   That's actually thr tire shop I may go to soon...   Nov 17, 2013 - 1:55 AM
- - Jeebus   Just arrived.   Nov 28, 2013 - 2:59 PM
- - Jeebus   My clutch blew a few days before New Years, and I ...   Jan 28, 2015 - 3:13 PM
- - Jeebus   So my car has been out of commission since 4/20/20...   Jan 25, 2016 - 7:04 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 3:52 AM