> Backyard garage painting, now with orange peel
post Jun 8, 2016 - 1:03 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

What do you guys do to avoid lint in the clear. Of course a boot would be nice. Ive seen several of you paint in the garage. There is no wind blowing but i always manage to get something trapped! Just sand it and buff it? Or tell me your methods

This post has been edited by njccmd2002: Jun 13, 2016 - 7:19 PM

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Jun 8, 2016 - 1:40 PM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

PVC pipes and plastic sheeting. or just tape up sheeting all over serial killer style.
I spray the ground with a bit of water before i set up so dust particles to fly up and I usually have a fan blowing to the outside as well.

--------------------

*1997 Celica ST - 3SGE Greytop BEAMS
*1977 Celica RA29 - Classic Cruiser
*2005 Matrix AWD - dedded but still hanging around like a ghost
2019 Rav4 XLE Premium - Sports mode is fun.
post Jun 8, 2016 - 5:10 PM
+Quote Post
presure2

Joined Oct 1, '02
From fall river, ma
Currently Offline

build a booth as described above, wet the ground under and around the parts your painting, lots of cleaning of the panels to be painted, and lots of tacking with a tack cloth before and between coats of basecoat.
once you start clearing your pretty much stuck with what you get, but most small lint and dust can be wetsanded and buffed out.

--------------------
Former Team 5SFTE pro member ;)

13.6@108MPH, 5SFTE Powered
post Jun 8, 2016 - 5:59 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

To further add I would also clean the garage well and tape over any air vents in the garage right before painting so as to minimize the chance of dust getting kicked up.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jun 8, 2016 - 8:08 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

yeah mostly small lint and stupid bugs, i finally got the clear to run better, less orange peel. but im going to see if i do cheelas advice

and tack cloths

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Jun 8, 2016 - 8:31 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Get the biggest tarp you can and just line the whole space with tarp from top to bottom and sides and everything. Tarp yourself in a Walter White suit too.

--------------------
post Jun 8, 2016 - 9:01 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

That or could get a painter's suit. tongue.gif

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jun 8, 2016 - 9:11 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Walter White meth cookin suit, painters suit, same thing. Tarp is to make a paint booth/clean room. Cause overspray is gonna get on ANYTHING not tarped or taped and a brand new clean tarp will drop less dust than your ceiling.

--------------------
post Jun 9, 2016 - 1:57 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

I don't make meth or know who Walter White is, sorry. redface.gif

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jun 9, 2016 - 2:22 AM
+Quote Post
Nial

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 25, '08
From England
Currently Offline

I just bought a load of clear plastic sheeting from a DIY store and some duct tape, also from Amazon a bunch of cheap disposable paper overalls/painters suits. Helps a lot, but doesn't prevent all the bits from getting in, it's near impossible unless you have some sort of down draft air filter system like a paint booth.. When I get to the clearcoat stage i am just going to have to live with the fact that I am going to be doing some wet sanding to get any bits out. Fingers crossed there won't be too many.

--------------------
My Facebook GT4 Build page.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/GT4Rebuild
post Jun 13, 2016 - 4:02 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

So now ive painted again and my fender came out good well have to wet sand

The hood came out with orange peel

Should i sand and reclear or wetsand

--------------------

post Jun 13, 2016 - 9:10 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Is that a boot on the trailer? laugh.gif

Orange peel is usually caused by issues in paint application, bad angle, bad pressure, bad feed or all the above. On a hood like that it's probably the angle and distance of spray if your fender came out well using the same feed and pressure. It's hard to be steady and consistent on a hood laying down like that, difficult to reach across to get a smooth spray. Time to hit up Youtube University! I do see a little peel by the wheel arch on the fender too, where the angle changes, so I bet that's the hood problem too.

--------------------
post Jun 13, 2016 - 9:14 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

yeah, sometimes i just want to give up learning. thats a boot, theres been a few trailers stolen around here.

I plan on sanding with 800 to 1000 grit tomorrow and then reclear, and just get the best i can.

--------------------

post Jun 13, 2016 - 9:57 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Paint it a flat color laugh.gif

Hope you use lock lug nuts on those wheels, they'll just take the booted wheel off and good to go!

This post has been edited by Bitter: Jun 13, 2016 - 9:58 PM

--------------------
post Jun 13, 2016 - 10:02 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Might try hanging the hood vertically to get a better spray angle, though without enough helping hands that could cause more problems than solve.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jun 14, 2016 - 12:46 AM
+Quote Post
Nial

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 25, '08
From England
Currently Offline

I would have a go with wet sanding the hood first, not that i have alot of experience with painting, but I have done alot of research, pretty much only primed up to this point so dont take what i say too seriously.......To me it looks like you could have applied a bit more clear, did you thin it out? Or maybe use a slower hardener, give the paint time to spread.

Go on youtube and look up "Gunman" hes an australian painter who is very good, his videos are very descriptive and very helpful.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_-MimyH3fKY

--------------------
My Facebook GT4 Build page.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/GT4Rebuild
post Jun 14, 2016 - 1:15 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

It was hot today. Maybe slow hardener

--------------------

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 29th, 2024 - 3:18 AM