> AC Clicking
post Jul 30, 2016 - 9:28 AM
+Quote Post
Selly_Kuhman

Enthusiast
Joined May 13, '12
From US- NY
Currently Offline

Not sure if this is the right section to post this, but dont know what is causing the problem. When the AC turns on now, I hear a semi-loud clicking noise. It is pretty fast and gets louder as I increase the amount of air put out. Is something lose somewhere, or broken? Appreciate the help since it's terribly hot atm and don't want to leave it on when it's making that sound in case it gets worse.

This post has been edited by Selly_Kuhman: Jul 30, 2016 - 9:29 AM
post Jul 30, 2016 - 12:22 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

It's either very under charged, over charged, or there's air contamination in the system, most likely. There's pressure switches that turn off the compressor when the pressure gets too low or too high and that'll cause the compressor clutch to kick on and off rapidly which will burn out/wear out the clutch. You should take it to a shop that can evacuate the system, check for leaks, and then recharge it correctly. When it's all working properly it should blow about 45-50F air out of the center vents with the fan on high.

--------------------
post Jul 30, 2016 - 2:12 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

That or perhaps the blower relay since it increased with fan speed, I would check that first since it's cheap and easy but if that's not it I'd do what Bitter said. I guess it wouldn't hurt to check the A/C clutch relay too if it is the compressor coming on and off.

This post has been edited by Box: Jul 30, 2016 - 2:16 PM

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jul 31, 2016 - 2:21 AM
+Quote Post
Selly_Kuhman

Enthusiast
Joined May 13, '12
From US- NY
Currently Offline

Now the clicking got a bit softer, no idea why. I should have mentioned this as well, but it slipped my mind since this doesn't happen every time. Sometimes the vents shoot out "arctic" air where you can see the actual air itself (which is very cold) - Could this be a symptom of overcharged AC?
post Jul 31, 2016 - 9:11 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

It could be, or undercharged. More likely undercharged or possibly a restriction in the system. The larger the pressure differential between the high and low side the colder the air, but if the core freezes over then you get no airflow and no AC. It could even be the AC amplifier which is just a little control module, may be worth grabbing one from the junk yard, I've seen some failures on the Corolla forums and they can do weird things. But first things first, get it charged correctly!

--------------------
post Jul 31, 2016 - 12:25 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Look around your area and there are probably some shops or dealers running some kind of special at the moment on A/C recharges.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Aug 2, 2016 - 5:08 AM
+Quote Post
RoadRage

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 9, '13
From Melbourne, Australia
Currently Offline

Mine does a sort of similar thing, but its sort of a soft clicking noise when I have it blowing air (either heater or ac) but only on the recirculate option, if i click fresh air, it goes away.

--------------------
post Aug 2, 2016 - 7:17 PM
+Quote Post
VavAlephVav

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 3, '13
From Missourah
Currently Offline

Is the light on the AC button blinking when it stops working correctly?

If the problem were in the blower motor it would still be blowing really cold air even when it starts making noise, it just might not be blowing as hard.
Otherwise the problem could be in The system that automatically cuts out the AC when you accelerate hard, it could be malfunctioning.
Or there could be a restriction in the liquid line filter/dryer that is mounted near the base of the radiator on the driver side, clean off the sight glass on top of it and see if you can see bubbles in the refrigerant stream. Or maybe the bearings in the compressor may be so tight that it freaks out when you run it too hard.

Mine has been acting funny lately and it works fine at idle but when I get out on the road it quits working and the light on the AC button starts blinking, but after the motor has been running awhile and I've gone down the highway for a bit it will run just fine no matter how high I spin the engine speed. I really dont know wtf is wrong with it but I have never changed the filter/dryer and I I wonder if that may be causing a restriction that is causing it to cut out.

So please post whatever you find I would love to hear it.
Thanks.

--------------------
Bust a Deal; Face the Wheel.
post Aug 2, 2016 - 9:39 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Check the belt tension when it's cold, a slipping belt can make the light blink.

--------------------
post Aug 9, 2016 - 8:17 PM
+Quote Post
trdproven

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 2, '05
From Guam
Currently Offline

slipping belt, leaky compressor causing slipping belt, rain causing slipping belt, bad relay, etc.

clicking is from the clutch and is from overcharge or whatever. Why don't you look through the drier glass, is the movement fairly smooth or are you seeing bubbles?

This post has been edited by trdproven: Aug 9, 2016 - 8:17 PM

--------------------
94 Celica GT
|Toyota OEM Japan|Toyota Racing Development|Tom's|Competition Clutch|5Zigen|Apexi|
|Laille/Beatrush|Magnecor|Denso|Royal Purple|Optima|PIAA|PW JDM|Megan Racing|Nitto|
|Work|Greddy|Samco|Project Mu|H&R|Gates|Moog|Rota|Yokohama|Epman|1320|Upgr8
04 Celica GT
|Toyota OEM Japan|Toyota Racing Development|Tein|BC Racing|Greddy|

89 Supra (Sold)
90 Supra (Sold)

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 5:38 AM