+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

Its for sale on craigslist

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post May 11, 2016 - 3:28 PM
+Quote Post
ClevelandGaint

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 12, '13
From Cleveland
Currently Offline

QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ May 11, 2016 - 1:49 PM) *
Its for sale on craigslist

It was only a matter of time!!! Well box when you want it to go to a different home let me know, ill baby sit it, just make sure it has new rear tires laugh.gif
post May 11, 2016 - 7:03 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

*sigh* baka

The vinyl arrived today, looks even better in person than it did in pictures so that's nice. Provided the weather is decent will do that this weekend, the fun part is getting it out in one piece.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post May 16, 2016 - 12:33 PM
+Quote Post
ClevelandGaint

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 12, '13
From Cleveland
Currently Offline

Baby steps!!!
post May 16, 2016 - 1:36 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

I had it out in one piece then as we were deciding how to navigate it out it cracked under its own weight, so now I'm looking at ways to put it back together. Which at least I was planning on covering it in vinyl anyway I guess... Once it's finally finished I'll get some pictures.

Think next I'll be doing brakes and exhaust, surely can find a '98-02 Camaro or Firebird at Pull-A-Part with its front spindles and calipers.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post May 23, 2016 - 4:14 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

So here's one positive update, wrapped the stereo and A/C trim piece:

Will post a picture of the dash in the "Today I..." thread since driving it today I couldn't see because of the reflection of the dash and it'll be removed ASAP. What's sad is I used the "dry carbon" that is kind of matte-satin, I'd hate to see what gloss would do... Outside of that will be doing brakes after I can find my freaking calipers to measure my rotors, if they're still good I'll just get a set of good brake pads to hold me until I feel like going and getting '98-02 front spindles and calipers from Pull-A-Part and then refurbishing them.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jun 2, 2016 - 1:08 PM
+Quote Post
ClevelandGaint

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 12, '13
From Cleveland
Currently Offline

We the people, DEMAND UPDATES! biggrin.gif
post Jun 2, 2016 - 2:45 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Not really much at the moment, and I'm sure as hell not putting up pictures of the dash pad unless I can get it somewhat respectable looking. I am about to order some brake pads, that and I'm thinking about going ahead and doing spark plugs and wires just to get it over with already. I found that the JEGS 8mm wires are supposed to be a good performance oriented option that'll still fit through the wire guides, but I can't decide if I want to go with platinum or iridium plugs. Really any performance difference is moot probably, but the cost and longevity are a consideration. In theory the the iridium should last twice as long, but they're about 3 times as expensive too.

Outside of maintenance stuff I'll probably redo the exhaust from the axle back next, stock after going over the axle on the passenger side it curves towards the driver side into a transverse cross flow chamber muffler then goes out to the tips with the passenger side making a near 180 turn out of the muffler. My plan is to put in a single in/dual out straight through 5x8 oval muffler tucked up into the car over the axle and make it as straight a path to the tips as possible from there. Sure true duals would be better but it'd mean expensive headers and universal cats to do it right on top of more expense in materials and labour, but I don't plan on doing anything to the motor outside of maybe a LT4 cam swap so straightening out the back end of the exhaust will be a good enough improvement.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jun 2, 2016 - 3:34 PM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

sounds like what alot of us say...

"i'm just gonna do intake and exhaust." wink.gif

--------------------

*1997 Celica ST - 3SGE Greytop BEAMS
*1977 Celica RA29 - Classic Cruiser
*2005 Matrix AWD - dedded but still hanging around like a ghost
2019 Rav4 XLE Premium - Sports mode is fun.
post Jun 2, 2016 - 5:36 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Well I do plan on doing the suspension and brakes as well in the future, but as far as the drivetrain goes intake, exhaust, and cam should be plenty enough. These days it probably makes more sense to go to something like the LS3 versus building either the LT1 or LS1 since it makes 426 hp out of the box, and then all the mods you can add from there.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jun 2, 2016 - 6:48 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

There can be too much power.

--------------------
post Jun 3, 2016 - 7:50 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Bitter @ Jun 2, 2016 - 6:48 PM) *
There can be too much power.

But yeah the 300 some odd crank horsepower is enough for me at this point, and to be honest I've yet to use all that's there and that's with a few interstate pulls and passing idiots on the highway. Having passing power is the best thing ever by the way, that and never having to turn off the A/C.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jun 26, 2016 - 1:29 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Not really a huge update by any means, but changed the differential oil, transmission fluid, and the engine oil and filter. The transmission fluid was fairly spent as was the differential oil, engine oil had been due for a few hundred miles but really didn't want to do it in the yard if possible as it still looked fine. Everything was fairly uneventful really, gave the underside of the car a once over since it was up on the lift and it all looks good. I don't think I'll have the room to do what I was wanting with the exhaust though so it's back to the drawing board on that. The spark plugs look to have been replaced somewhat recently(ACDelco plugs, meh) but it looks like the original wires, so wires and plugs are up soon. Put in new fluids, oils, filter, etc... and dropped it back down. The transmission feels notably better, not that it was really bad before but now everything is really nice and smooth. Still needs a short throw to be honest, but that's further down on the priority list.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jun 26, 2016 - 9:58 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

When the detailing bug bites you again, check out Carpro Essence. It's a filler/glaze kind of product that sets up to make a really hard layer bonded to the paint that fills in halograms and light scratches to make the car super glossy without taking down lots of paint thickness. I'm trying it out this weekend/week on my Celica as I give it the yearly detail. I don't think I'm going as hog wild as I did last year but you know...I always say that.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/produc...g-ocdetail.html

This post has been edited by Bitter: Jun 26, 2016 - 10:13 AM

--------------------
post Jun 26, 2016 - 1:25 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Looks really nifty, the results on the black cars are pretty impressive. I still need to do a proper strip down and wax job, though it's just been too damn hot but at least the spray wax I did has been holding up well. Which for twenty year old paint it still looks fairly good, but there are a few trouble spots here and there but waxing blends them back in only to show up again over time. So this stuff sounds perfect for what I'm needing.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jun 26, 2016 - 2:39 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Yep, I'm hoping it's some magic elixir for me as well, I'm in the process of claying all the horizontal surfaces on the Celica today and then I'm going to buff the whole thing down with that stuff and let it haze up and set for a day or two in the garage then do my usual M21 with 3M carnuba teflon topper. No M7 rub down this year, it's still got a nice deep black to the paint so I don't feel the need for that. Even my boss, who is usually pretty sparing when it comes to complimenting cars said he could see the depth in the black on it. I love that M7 glaze! It really is some of the best stuff around for single stage paints, and on Toyota red the results are mind bendingly amazing, it makes it look like luscious lipstick red lips you just wanna kiss.

--------------------
post Jun 26, 2016 - 11:33 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

I'm a fan of Meguiar's products as well, really the best off the shelf brand in my opinion. If Carpro Essence works really well it'd save a lot of time and physical stress since could use it after clay barring then go straight to sealant and wax.

I was so exhausted last night since I also helped my brother change out the open differential in his Genesis Coupe to a track model LSD, not fun by the way in case you're wondering, I forgot to mention it was also the first time driving at night since getting the car and I couldn't see for ****. We always take his car since it has HID lighting and he doesn't have night blindness, thankfully was following him but I could maybe see 25 feet in front of me if that. So I've been looking into that again today and found AUTOPAL Euro H4 housings with bulbs for $15 each plus $9 shipping. If I had money to blow I'd look into making some kind of bi-xenon projector setup, but I don't so the Euro H4 should be a notable improvement for not much more that what it'd cost to get new sealed beams.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jun 26, 2016 - 11:49 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

If those are the housings I'm thinking of then they're too shallow for 'plug n play' threaded shaft projectors and you've got space constraints bad cause of the pop ups. If they're the metal and glass H4 housings then just run some higher wattage H4 bulbs on a wiring harness, it's going to be a massive improvement. Maybe the Osram Rally bulbs?

--------------------
post Jun 27, 2016 - 2:21 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Here they are: http://www.ebay.com/itm/361426900811?_trks...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I was just going to use them as is with some Philips X-treme Vision bulbs, I thought about the Osram Rallye bulbs but all the ones I've found are overseas(I know that's their actual market, but still) and take forever to arrive and would have to redo the wiring like you mentioned.

This post has been edited by Box: Jun 27, 2016 - 2:22 AM

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 3:54 PM