> Tigawoods' 1995 Celica, Racing n Stuff
post Jul 2, 2019 - 1:08 AM
+Quote Post
SammmWich

Enthusiast

Joined Jan 15, '18
From California
Currently Offline

Not going to lie was a little heartbroken when the forums went down for a couple day's lol
post Jul 2, 2019 - 9:51 AM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

Little bitty update. Just waiting around until the next trackday the end of this month.
The pic above is from my previous trackday at New Jersey Motorsport Park - Thunderbolt.
Was quite a quicker track than places I usually run and my brake pads took the brunt of that.
EBC Reds were obviously not the ideal pad and due to the track design the front drivers side took a beating and got pretty cooked.
Next up on the docket is Carbotech XP10 and XP8 for the front and rear, respectively.
Possibly some backup front rotors and more looking into a potential ECU upgrade, likely later in the year. For now everything keeps holding together

This post has been edited by Tigawoods: Jul 2, 2019 - 9:51 AM

--------------------

1995 GT::::Diffusing the Situation
エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
march 2010 COTM : 6GC feature 2014 : january 2015-2016-2018 COTM
post Jul 2, 2019 - 2:52 PM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Offline

Mike you ever thought about adding a spoiler to help w/ downforce?
post Jul 2, 2019 - 6:57 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Ooooh, that sunset though.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jul 3, 2019 - 12:42 PM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

QUOTE (TimeslideZ @ Jul 2, 2019 - 3:52 PM) *
Mike you ever thought about adding a spoiler to help w/ downforce?

I have. But as I dont really want that much rear downforce. I was going to go with a diffuser instead which has much less drag (but also creates much less downforce)

A front splitter is coming way before any of that stuff does

--------------------

エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
post Aug 30, 2019 - 8:16 AM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

after 4 years post-swap I finally experienced some BEAMS drama.

Started the car one morning and was getting unusual backfiring at idle. Drove the car to work and smelled something burning. Checked the engine in the afternoon after work and found the COP was wasted. Wasted spark. Luckily the valve cover...cover was on because it definitely extinguished whatever fire started.

After examining and looking back on the swap the NO.4 spark plug ejected from the hole up into the COP. This was the same plug that I had trouble with when I swapped and removed the head to reverse tap it. I suppose I was on borrowed time from that point. Im glad it didnt happen at the track or far from home.

I bought a pricey timesert kit and repaired that problem and now its running SO much better. I figure ive been losing compression on the cylinder for a long while.

Here are some pics

couldnt tell if this was oil from through the valve cover seal or if it was some other fluid, I wasnt sure if the fire melted the seal but so far after its been fixed I have no problems

got a cheap endoscope to check the cylinder well, monitor the depth of the timesert tapping and picking up alum shavings

Timesert in! The kit is ALMOST worth all the money it costs. It seems a whole lot better than the Helicoil kit.

This weekend I have to inspect some odd noises coming from the hub area that happen under hard turns.
One thing thats getting done is the addition of some Verus Eng. Pancake ducts. My current setup was okay, but the hose is binding on the coilovers at full lock. This will add a static point behind the coilover and the only compression and expansion of the ducting will happen in one small section

--------------------

エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
post Aug 30, 2019 - 2:13 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Jeez that's nasty, thankfully that's all that happened and it's up and running again.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Sep 3, 2019 - 7:22 AM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

I'm stoked to see the new setup with the ducts!

--------------------
~bloodMoney
post Oct 21, 2019 - 10:15 AM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

I beleive the breaking of my car was the cause of 6GC shutting down. Happened right around the same time. It seems as though my motor is what keeps the forum running. Im still testing this theory.

Looks like I havent updated since the spark plug issue.
Long story short.
Rotor hat nuts had all backed off about 1/4" on both discs. Drivers side hub had died. Temporarily tightened up the hardware. Ordered k-nuts and new bolts for the discs. Got one side kinda done.

Tracked the car. Car died 3 laps in.
Towed home.
Sat for a few days.
Did a comp/leakdown test. Cyl 4 - 0. Cyl 3 - 30.
Work trip for 2 weeks.
Got back ripped the head off in the parking lot.
Dropped a valve in Cyl 4.
Head of Valve sheared off at the retainer.
Spare head went to get decked and cleaned
Pics. Getting re-installed this week.

found this when taking stuff apart.

piston damage was minimal thank god

valve guide fractured

bearing wear. took the cams to get polished so they would be cleaner for the spare head (that doenst have wear like this on the caps)

Spare head was a little scuffed so I decided to do the right thing and get it decked and cleaned

had to measure out the shims since I didnt organize the ones I took off the spare head a while ago

--------------------

エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
post Nov 5, 2019 - 3:22 PM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

progress stalled because I could not get an alternator belt to fit (having had removed A/C)
Im not sure how I got the one one originally when I did the swap (had to cut it off to remove it lol) but I couldnt get it off this time so I had to order a AC delete pulley from GT-4Play

more pics

head decked and cleaned

ready to drop in

the valve from 4

late night outside in the cold but everything went together well

Took another look at the valves from the head...had a bit of a concern so I decided, while waiting for this pulley to come in, to do another leak down test now that the head is back on and the valves are leak free

Cyl4 Slightly wet (could have added more oil)

Cyl 3 (dry)

Not great results at all. Im going to run a couple more tests but its looking like the rings for 3 and 4 are on their way out. Bottom end replacement might be in order for this winter

This post has been edited by Tigawoods: Nov 5, 2019 - 3:23 PM

--------------------

エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
post Nov 6, 2019 - 8:55 AM
+Quote Post
ricochet1490

Enthusiast
Joined May 3, '11
From Ohio
Currently Offline

Man,
Keep documenting this stuff. I don't drive mine enough to really worry about this type of stuff I don't think, but it scares me to death just because of parts availability. I have some spare head valves and springs and miscellaneous other equipment, but between this engine and the superstrut..... whew.

Do you just happen to have spare head gaskets and studs laying around?

--------------------
post Nov 6, 2019 - 3:30 PM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

Yeah, part availability and ease of attainability is what I am currently wrestling with.

Ive been told that piston rings for the Red Top are discontinued so that is not great news if its true.

For the time being, a spare grey top will get me through this current problem. Once this current motor out I would like to figure out what I can maybe swap around from the Black-Top to make things easier in terms of part availability.
The blacktop is getting a good aftermarket bump.
For the most part, things are available for the red-top and Im slowly collecting spare parts. But you cant re-use everything off of a spare engine (piston rings etc) so Id like to find another solution.

4th Gen GTE swap is always looming, itd frustrate me to have to switch platforms.

I have ARP head studs in, that was a must have when I first did the swap. As for headgaskets, I just order the gasket kits. This one has been torqued down but not started so I hope to re-use it when (if?) I swap the bottom end.

--------------------

エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
post Nov 6, 2019 - 4:33 PM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

Are there any aftermarket high-compression 3SGE pistons that people have sitting around? Maybe use a 5SFE block and run with more displacement? Spit-balling ideas

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

1993.5 Toyota Supra ....with stuff.... ....sorta broken....
1998 Toyota Celica ....this one, too, has stuff.... ....broken....yeah...definitely broken....
post Nov 6, 2019 - 6:26 PM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

finally was able to do a comp test.

~92PSI across all 4 cylinders....super weird. I had figured 3 and 4 to be lower and 1 and 2 to be higher.

Cyl 3 was around 30 before swapping the head...4 was 0 because of the valve.

Im not sure if anything needs to warm up and settle in or not but this weekend Im going to start it and bring it up to temp and try again. I was expecting low numbers but not so evenly across the cylinders.

This post has been edited by Tigawoods: Nov 6, 2019 - 6:27 PM

--------------------

エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
post Nov 8, 2019 - 2:02 AM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

hmm no bueno my friend. i wonder how well this motor would of lasted if you had an actual ss3 celica from japan with somewhat low mileage.

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Nov 11, 2019 - 8:39 AM
+Quote Post
ricochet1490

Enthusiast
Joined May 3, '11
From Ohio
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Tigawoods @ Nov 6, 2019 - 6:26 PM) *
finally was able to do a comp test.

~92PSI across all 4 cylinders....super weird. I had figured 3 and 4 to be lower and 1 and 2 to be higher.

Cyl 3 was around 30 before swapping the head...4 was 0 because of the valve.

Im not sure if anything needs to warm up and settle in or not but this weekend Im going to start it and bring it up to temp and try again. I was expecting low numbers but not so evenly across the cylinders.

I had this happen once and the slack in the timing belt didn't take up correctly and it jumped time after I put it back together, weak spring on the tensioner. Ended up with 90PSI and the engine wouldn't run right.

On this engine though, especially if it runs, I think you'd know if it had skipped time.... valves and pistons being what they are.

--------------------
post Nov 11, 2019 - 3:24 PM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

Got it started and running so I could load it on the trailer to get it back to the garage.
Had a decent amount of valve tap, more than it had previously and the A/f hovered pretty lean around 16-17.
I rechecked compression after getting it warm and it was around 125 across all 4.

I am pretty sure I have it timed right but I DID do it the janky way. Since this was a no lifting parking lot head replacement I left the crank pulley and bottom cover on. I TDC'd the bottom end using the timing mark on the cover. Worst case its a tooth off, which could explain a little bit of the tapping (not enough to bend a valve hopefully? lol)
I will also need to re check clearances for the camshafts.

Funny note:
I looked back on my notes from when i first did the swap. Comp check numbers were all around 125 then too...I cant remember how i did the test (if I opened the throttle or not) but i for sure did it right this time. We will see what info I can get from further investigation

This post has been edited by Tigawoods: Nov 11, 2019 - 3:25 PM

--------------------

エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
post Nov 11, 2019 - 7:36 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

props on trying to keep the beams alive, but maybe consider a v6 swap. more parts availability.

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Nov 11, 2019 - 11:55 PM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Nov 11, 2019 - 7:36 PM) *
props on trying to keep the beams alive, but maybe consider a v6 swap. more parts availability.

ya even a 3sgte would be best. but seems like youve invested tons of time into it. i thought you would of done supercharger before the motor took a poop. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Nov 12, 2019 - 12:09 PM
+Quote Post
95CelicaST

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 5, '05
From pineapple under the sea
Currently Offline

3SGTE swap would be nice, and you could keep a small turbo on it to make sure you get on power sooner (not that it doesn't spool super early as-is)

However, a V6 is:

Cheaper (engine, anyways)
Flat torque is more predictable for a racing application
Lighter (2GR is 379lbs wet, 1MZ is 337lbs wet VS 3rd Gen 3S 409lbs wet)

And if you want to go with a 94-96 1MZ (non-VVT), I have a LinkECU Atom already tuned sitting on a shelf in my garage... wink.gif

--------------------
1991 MR2 - T-tops - Crimson Red - Gen3 3SGTE - Lots of money

I'm not really an asshole, but I play one on the internet.
**** Photobucket

107 Pages V  « < 102 103 104 105 106 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
5 User(s) are reading this topic (5 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 1:51 PM