> Which 3sgte is more suitable, Fwd -> Rwd
post May 10, 2011 - 8:50 PM
+Quote Post
dudeofchaos

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 9, '08
From Blainville
Currently Offline

I have a project planned for my celica and I just had some questions for you guys.

I will be going for a Fwd to Rwd conversion so I wanted to know which 3sgte is more suitable for the swap?
I believe both (mr2's and celica's) 3sgte are trans. mounted? So is there one of them that would be easyer to fit to a Rwd tranny?

Also if you guys could come up to me with some parts I would have to change (and from which car I could take these from if possible) and stuff I would need to do I would appreciate it.

I know I would have to get these:
-Drive shaft
-Differential
-Probably change the whole rear suspention parts
-Rwd tranny

That's what's on the top of my head but I surely forget many things.
Don't worry, I will not get into this before I will have enough knowledge. I will soon study in car mecanic before I begin all this.

Thanks for your help!

This post has been edited by dudeofchaos: May 10, 2011 - 8:51 PM
post May 10, 2011 - 9:23 PM
+Quote Post
Johnnyny

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 28, '09
From York pa
Currently Offline

start with a gt4 and reduce it from there
post May 10, 2011 - 9:34 PM
+Quote Post
96stgreendemon

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 7, '09
From Northern kentucky
Currently Offline

The E154f will not work as only rear wheel drive, i take that back, it will work, untill you blow it, it cannot handle being used for only rwd
second if you plan to go rwd either mount it in the hatch, or it needs to be spun 90 degrees

--------------------
1996 Toyota Celica Project Mean Green
3RD Gen 3SGTE WRC Edition W/LSD E153 - Love BOOST <3

2001 Solar yellow Lexus IS300

2001 Dodge ram 1500 Off-road edition
post May 10, 2011 - 10:25 PM
+Quote Post
Cuts_the_Pilot

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 15, '02
From Tasmania(Australia)
Currently Offline

(in ascending order of price of gearbox) W58 (NA jzx80) would be fine, J160 (6speed is200) R154 (5speed jza70, jzx100, jzz30) would be better and V160 (6speed jzx80 TT) even better then that.

doesnt matter which 3s you use as all gte engines are mounted transverse only, the mr2 maybe slightly better because of the alternator location.

you could get a rwd arse end from a 205 and use that,

then custom propshaft (1 piece, or 2 piece with custom bearing support in the middle)

You need to change the steering rack. As the 20x ones are mounted up near the firewall where the gearbox will be you need to get something from say a supra, to get something that mounts low under the engine.

Naturally wiring will need to be changed, but thats not a biggie.

Custom engine mounts obviously. While the turbo side isnt difficult the inlet side is more annoying because there isnt provisions there for mounting north-south, what needs to be done is to get a big plate of say 6mm steel so you can utilise 3 or 4 bolts into the block, then weld the mounts onto that.

You need a transmission tunnel, this is one of the bigger hastles. Best bet IMO is to get a tunnel from the same sort of car you get the gearbox from (that way you know the tunnel will be big enough for the box, the r154 and v160 aren't a small gearbox.
Obviously this is going to fnck up your centre console, its likely you wont be able to run the stock heaterbox because the transmission tunnel is that much bigger on rwd.

You will need to change the front hubs, or modify them so they dont require a driveshaft and nut anymore.

When the 3s-gte is mounted north-south the turbo is facing backwards, so at the very least a custom exhaust manifold is required, also the turbo will be on the passenger side (well drivers side for you people) so you will have to be careful with regard to how close the turbo and dump pipe is to your master cylinders.

You will probably find the inlet manifold will hit on the bonnet so a custom inlet may also be required.

The coolant block on the back of the motor (where coolant hoses and temp sensors are) is on the back of the block, meaning that needs pretty well to be removed unless you mount your gte way forward in the engine bay (and risk upsetting the cars balance) Along with that the distributer is also on the back and the same location problem arrises.

It would be easier to get a beams 3s-ge from an altezza as they are already rwd.

Im sure ive missed lots, but this gives you a bit of an idea of whats infront of you.

This post has been edited by Cuts_the_Pilot: May 10, 2011 - 10:27 PM

--------------------
ST205 Group A Rallye GT-Four, #61 of 77............600hp GT3582r
GRX133 Toyota Mark X 350s
post May 11, 2011 - 12:07 PM
+Quote Post
dudeofchaos

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 9, '08
From Blainville
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Cuts_the_Pilot @ May 10, 2011 - 10:25 PM) *
(in ascending order of price of gearbox) W58 (NA jzx80) would be fine, J160 (6speed is200) R154 (5speed jza70, jzx100, jzz30) would be better and V160 (6speed jzx80 TT) even better then that.

doesnt matter which 3s you use as all gte engines are mounted transverse only, the mr2 maybe slightly better because of the alternator location.

you could get a rwd arse end from a 205 and use that,

then custom propshaft (1 piece, or 2 piece with custom bearing support in the middle)

You need to change the steering rack. As the 20x ones are mounted up near the firewall where the gearbox will be you need to get something from say a supra, to get something that mounts low under the engine.

Naturally wiring will need to be changed, but thats not a biggie.

Custom engine mounts obviously. While the turbo side isnt difficult the inlet side is more annoying because there isnt provisions there for mounting north-south, what needs to be done is to get a big plate of say 6mm steel so you can utilise 3 or 4 bolts into the block, then weld the mounts onto that.

You need a transmission tunnel, this is one of the bigger hastles. Best bet IMO is to get a tunnel from the same sort of car you get the gearbox from (that way you know the tunnel will be big enough for the box, the r154 and v160 aren't a small gearbox.
Obviously this is going to fnck up your centre console, its likely you wont be able to run the stock heaterbox because the transmission tunnel is that much bigger on rwd.

You will need to change the front hubs, or modify them so they dont require a driveshaft and nut anymore.

When the 3s-gte is mounted north-south the turbo is facing backwards, so at the very least a custom exhaust manifold is required, also the turbo will be on the passenger side (well drivers side for you people) so you will have to be careful with regard to how close the turbo and dump pipe is to your master cylinders.

You will probably find the inlet manifold will hit on the bonnet so a custom inlet may also be required.

The coolant block on the back of the motor (where coolant hoses and temp sensors are) is on the back of the block, meaning that needs pretty well to be removed unless you mount your gte way forward in the engine bay (and risk upsetting the cars balance) Along with that the distributer is also on the back and the same location problem arrises.

It would be easier to get a beams 3s-ge from an altezza as they are already rwd.

Im sure ive missed lots, but this gives you a bit of an idea of whats infront of you.

Wow, thanks for taking your time! I will surely keep this in mind when the time will come!
post May 11, 2011 - 1:10 PM
+Quote Post
mak5603

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 20, '08
From Seattle, WA
Currently Offline

Possibly a JDM Toyota Altezza tranny? Idk...

Lots and lots of customization. After you are done with yours, build mine smile.gif I hate FWD.

--------------------
2006 BMW 330i - 6 Speed - Dinan Stage 1
2014 Toyota Rav4 XLE
post May 11, 2011 - 1:52 PM
+Quote Post
dudeofchaos

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 9, '08
From Blainville
Currently Offline

QUOTE (mak5603 @ May 11, 2011 - 2:10 PM) *
Possibly a JDM Toyota Altezza tranny? Idk...

Lots and lots of customization. After you are done with yours, build mine smile.gif I hate FWD.

That's actually WHY I want to convert mine in a rwd lol.
But mine won't be done before awhile wink.gif Not even planning to start before atleast 2 years.
I will surely swap the engine next year or in 2 years though.
post May 11, 2011 - 2:04 PM
+Quote Post
jimmykay

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 14, '08
From St. Louis
Currently Offline

If I remember right, most people's solution when this has come up in the past has been to either start with a supra shell and work from there, or forget it and just buy a different RWD car. Most of the time when they realize what they're getting themselves into, they drop the thought. Because you're going into uncharted territory and building a custom car from scraps.

--------------------
'99 Celica GT - Sold
'11 Mazdaspeed3
post May 11, 2011 - 2:28 PM
+Quote Post
dudeofchaos

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 9, '08
From Blainville
Currently Offline

QUOTE (jimmykay @ May 11, 2011 - 3:04 PM) *
If I remember right, most people's solution when this has come up in the past has been to either start with a supra shell and work from there, or forget it and just buy a different RWD car. Most of the time when they realize what they're getting themselves into, they drop the thought. Because you're going into uncharted territory and building a custom car from scraps.

Who said I wanted to do like others?
post May 11, 2011 - 4:03 PM
+Quote Post
jimmykay

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 14, '08
From St. Louis
Currently Offline

I didn't say you did. I'm just saying that most people who want to do this get in over their heads and then start looking for easier ways to do it. When they get the idea, they don't realize that they're going to be doing an amazing amount of custom work to make it happen.

I would really like to see it done, and if you decide to do it, then I wish you all the best. I just know that this is absolutely not for the average shade tree mechanic, and is most likely a daunting task for even the experienced builder.

--------------------
'99 Celica GT - Sold
'11 Mazdaspeed3
post May 11, 2011 - 8:22 PM
+Quote Post
dudeofchaos

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 9, '08
From Blainville
Currently Offline

QUOTE (jimmykay @ May 11, 2011 - 4:03 PM) *
I didn't say you did. I'm just saying that most people who want to do this get in over their heads and then start looking for easier ways to do it. When they get the idea, they don't realize that they're going to be doing an amazing amount of custom work to make it happen.

I would really like to see it done, and if you decide to do it, then I wish you all the best. I just know that this is absolutely not for the average shade tree mechanic, and is most likely a daunting task for even the experienced builder.

I know wink.gif
But hey, we'll see what happens!
post May 12, 2011 - 12:50 AM
+Quote Post
playr158

Enthusiast
Joined May 22, '03
From NOVA
Currently Offline

Buy a supra the mold the 6gc headlights and tails to it /done and it'll only cost 2 grand in mods
post May 12, 2011 - 2:03 AM
+Quote Post
JuMPiiN

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 10, '09
From Louisiana
Currently Offline

Are you prepared to spend 20,000 just to have a stock turbocharged 3sgte in rwd forum.

I think your better off buying a Supra Shell and molding a 6th gen front and rear to it. Save you money thats for sure and be the same thing.
post May 12, 2011 - 2:10 AM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

wow seriously this guy again talking nonsense just because he is a 6gc member

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post May 12, 2011 - 9:47 AM
+Quote Post
NYp8tBaller07

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 30, '11
From Albany, NY
Currently Offline

Theres a guy on another forum who did a RWD conversion but as you will see took lots of time and money, I would suggest you just buy a supra

http://www.celispeed.com/forums/7th-genera...ng-7th-gen.html

--------------------

Power in Balance
90 ST coupe- Sold
95 ST hatch- Dead :’(
02 Impreza RS- DD
post May 12, 2011 - 10:23 AM
+Quote Post
jimmykay

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 14, '08
From St. Louis
Currently Offline

QUOTE (NYp8tBaller07 @ May 12, 2011 - 9:47 AM) *
Theres a guy on another forum who did a RWD conversion but as you will see took lots of time and money, I would suggest you just buy a supra

http://www.celispeed.com/forums/7th-genera...ng-7th-gen.html

wow, thats crazy. It looks like he just recently stopped on it and all he needs is a driveshaft to cut down to size.

It would be a shame if he stopped now.

--------------------
'99 Celica GT - Sold
'11 Mazdaspeed3
post May 12, 2011 - 12:04 PM
+Quote Post
playr158

Enthusiast
Joined May 22, '03
From NOVA
Currently Offline

Ok the most FEASABLE way to RWD a 6gc with a 3sgte...MIDENGINE.

REAR mount the motor and build a firewall..

Get yourselves learned.

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/19-proje...conversion.html
post May 13, 2011 - 12:05 AM
+Quote Post
dudeofchaos

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 9, '08
From Blainville
Currently Offline

QUOTE (BonzaiCelica @ May 12, 2011 - 2:10 AM) *
wow seriously this guy again talking nonsense just because he is a 6gc member

Wtf?
post May 13, 2011 - 5:21 AM
+Quote Post
delusionz

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 11, '08
From Auckland, New Zealand
Currently Offline

You might need an Altezza sump because that 3S-GE Beams sits up right, all other 3S-G* are tilted, if you mount the engine upright and don't get an upright sump you'll starve the engine of oil.

Altezza 3S-GE Beams 6 speed also bolts up to 3S

Cool aye

I think if you had to ask, you're probably dreaming though, unless you can show us a pic of the shell of a Celica up on a hoist with the firewall and most of the floor pan cut out I think anything you could ask and get an answer to on this site at this stage is the least of your worries.

Personally, I would start with a GT4, atleast then you have a rear subframe, diff and driveshaft/tunnel to work with, from there you would custom mount a RWD diff (tougher) to the GT4 rear subframe, bolt up the matching driveshaft and then cut out a new tunnel for a rwd gearbox. you'll probably lose your heater, air con, climate control, etc since its all in the way too.

But then if you even been in a GT4 in your life let alone drive one or own one, you'd probably (or hopefully) recognise what kind of animal it already is, and you'd have second thoughts of hacking it up.

--------------------
Mike W
1996 Toyota Celica ST205 GT-FOUR
GT2860RS turbine, TiAL mvr44, JE 86.5φ piston, Clutchmasters FX400, APEX P-FC
269awhp / 273ft-lbs
post May 13, 2011 - 2:23 PM
+Quote Post
dudeofchaos

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 9, '08
From Blainville
Currently Offline

QUOTE (delusionz @ May 13, 2011 - 6:21 AM) *
You might need an Altezza sump because that 3S-GE Beams sits up right, all other 3S-G* are tilted, if you mount the engine upright and don't get an upright sump you'll starve the engine of oil.

Altezza 3S-GE Beams 6 speed also bolts up to 3S

Cool aye

I think if you had to ask, you're probably dreaming though, unless you can show us a pic of the shell of a Celica up on a hoist with the firewall and most of the floor pan cut out I think anything you could ask and get an answer to on this site at this stage is the least of your worries.

Personally, I would start with a GT4, atleast then you have a rear subframe, diff and driveshaft/tunnel to work with, from there you would custom mount a RWD diff (tougher) to the GT4 rear subframe, bolt up the matching driveshaft and then cut out a new tunnel for a rwd gearbox. you'll probably lose your heater, air con, climate control, etc since its all in the way too.

But then if you even been in a GT4 in your life let alone drive one or own one, you'd probably (or hopefully) recognise what kind of animal it already is, and you'd have second thoughts of hacking it up.

What you say is all true. But like I said it's not gonna happen soon. In a year or 2 I'll see if I have the means to buy a Gt4 lhd. If I can then I will go for this option for the moment.

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 18th, 2024 - 11:42 PM