6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  « < 6 7 8  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Operation: DARKSPYRO, AWD Conversion, Completed. Driven. Sold.
post Nov 29, 2014 - 12:28 AM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

Why are the rear wheels so off-centered? They look like they're set too far forward..
post Nov 29, 2014 - 12:49 AM
+Quote Post
Malek

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 26, '09
From Los Angeles
Currently Offline

QUOTE (mkernz22 @ Nov 29, 2014 - 12:28 AM) *
Why are the rear wheels so off-centered? They look like they're set too far forward..

It's because they are. The ST205 forward arms are about a half an inch shorter than the GT.

--------------------
post Nov 29, 2014 - 11:40 AM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Malek @ Nov 29, 2014 - 12:49 AM) *
QUOTE (mkernz22 @ Nov 29, 2014 - 12:28 AM) *

It's because they are. The ST205 forward arms are about a half an inch shorter than the GT.

ohh, learned something new today haha
post Jul 15, 2015 - 1:15 PM
+Quote Post
Malek

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 26, '09
From Los Angeles
Currently Offline

After much debate, I've decided it has come time to sell..

I'll be writing a proper FS ad here soon but wanted to throw it out there.

--------------------
post Jul 15, 2015 - 1:32 PM
+Quote Post
4-eyed-freek

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 17, '10
From U.P. michigan GO STATE
Currently Offline

BUT..BUT..BUT.. frown.gif

--------------------
It takes 8,460 bolts to assemble an automobile, and one nut to scatter it all over the road.

Celica: The name is derived from the Spanish word for "heavenly" or "celestial".
Back-2-Back July COTM 15&16
post Jul 16, 2015 - 7:53 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

Lol. It is always the same

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Jul 16, 2015 - 10:18 AM
+Quote Post
Malek

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 26, '09
From Los Angeles
Currently Offline

Unfortunately, yes..it is haha

As a military member, I don't exactly have a choice of duty stations. Where I'm going next, it just doesn't make sense to keep it. I won't be able to drive it and I don't want to store it for the next, potentially, 4 years.

Gotta do whatya gotta do. Loved building it though haha

And as always..I am sure to be back laugh.gif

--------------------
post Jan 18, 2018 - 12:41 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

bump

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Jan 28, 2018 - 3:44 PM
+Quote Post
Malek

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 26, '09
From Los Angeles
Currently Offline

I guess I never did close the loop here lol

A high HP MR2 guy ended up buying it. If anyone is around Canon City, CO they might have seen it rolling around. I haven't heard from him the day he drove it away though.

I still have the GT-Four though!

--------------------
post Jan 28, 2018 - 5:24 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

Now I need to make a day trip down to Caņon City.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Jan 29, 2018 - 9:52 AM
+Quote Post
slavie

Enthusiast
Joined May 2, '15
From NY
Currently Offline

Thanks for the update. Reading through the thread revived my aspirations for an AWD conversion, so I'll bombard you with a bunch of questions if you will smile.gif

On the GT4 vs GT rear wheel placement: did you end up moving just the wheels 1/2" forward due to reuse of GT arms, or was the diff moved forward as well? Could you have proper placement if you used GT4 control arms, or is there a bigger issue at play? I thought that that chassis were the same dimensions only having different floor plan.
On the GT4 rear mounting SolidWorks files or bending CAM profile - are any of these still around the 6GC community, or have they all been lost?

Also, why didn't you use the SS front suspension?

Finally, if you don't mind me asking, how much did your current actual GT4 set you back? Just trying to get an idea. (feel free to PM me about this one if you'd prefer).

Thanks!
post Feb 6, 2018 - 12:27 AM
+Quote Post
Malek

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 26, '09
From Los Angeles
Currently Offline

QUOTE (richee3 @ Jan 28, 2018 - 5:24 PM) *
Now I need to make a day trip down to Caņon City.

I'm trying to get back to Denver or the Springs for my next assignment. I miss Colorado a lot.

QUOTE (slavie @ Jan 29, 2018 - 9:52 AM) *
Thanks for the update. Reading through the thread revived my aspirations for an AWD conversion, so I'll bombard you with a bunch of questions if you will smile.gif

On the GT4 vs GT rear wheel placement: did you end up moving just the wheels 1/2" forward due to reuse of GT arms, or was the diff moved forward as well? Could you have proper placement if you used GT4 control arms, or is there a bigger issue at play? I thought that that chassis were the same dimensions only having different floor plan.
On the GT4 rear mounting SolidWorks files or bending CAM profile - are any of these still around the 6GC community, or have they all been lost?

Also, why didn't you use the SS front suspension?

Finally, if you don't mind me asking, how much did your current actual GT4 set you back? Just trying to get an idea. (feel free to PM me about this one if you'd prefer).

Thanks!

Hey brother, glad it sparked some mechanical drive for ya!

As for the rear wheel placement, I used the GT4 arms. The GT4 arms are the ones that are 1/2" shorter so it pulls the wheels (and entire subframe/diff assembly) more forward. The front 2/3rds or so are the same but the rear is fairly different. Frame rails, floor pan, wheel well location on the body (i think...it's been a few years lol). This thread goes into some details on page 3 and 4. Just Another GT-4 Build Had to do with better subframe mounting locations and driveshaft lengths.

I know for sure I no longer have my SolidWorks files frown.gif They honestly probably wouldn't have helped anyways. The measurements were rough and i never measured the real mounts to correct them. Hanksville might still have the CAM profile..? Like I said, it's been a few years...which makes me sad because it means I'm getting older and I'd really like to stop doing that.....anyways!

No SS front suspension because adds too much complexity. I'm crazy...but not a psychopath lol In fact, my biggest gripe with my ST205 is that suspension. I've gone back and forth ripping it all out to put McP style coilovers and reminding myself I need to keep it OG. But seriously, I don't like that suspension.

Cost of my real one...well, it cost the sale price of this converted Celica plus the price of a non-running 01 Ducati 748 wink.gif Honestly, being so close to 25 years, I think it'd be worth it to hold out on the conversion and spring for a real one. But then again, you won't have the pleasure of driving around in a LHD GT4 lol

--------------------

8 Pages V  « < 6 7 8
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 3:23 AM