> Team Reynolds Style, Next Race: July 25/26 Autobahn Country Club
post Oct 22, 2013 - 8:55 AM
+Quote Post
qatar11

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 29, '02
From Lake Orion, MI
Currently Offline

Because building a GT4 is clearly not enough work... I have a race car - not hard core performance rally like Steve... but we have been known to pull down a trophy.... Here is a very high level of the car's progression since 2009. I took this year (2013) off as I was completely burnt out and broke... 2014... I cannot wait!

Whelp.... if there is some interest, I can keep posting some photos and progress as we work toward April 2014 @ Gingeman Raceway...

This post has been edited by qatar11: May 25, 2015 - 8:17 AM

--------------------
-Mike
mjcoury@gmail.com
Team Reynolds Style
Celica Blog
Celica Wiki

It will take him a moment to realize that he's about to make a 180 degree turn at speed, but you will be ready for it. Brace for the g's, and fast heel-toe work.
post Oct 22, 2013 - 9:05 AM
+Quote Post
JoshuaM

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 6, '12
From Brisbane, Australia
Currently Offline

RACE CARRRR!!! XD XD XD

QUOTE (qatar11 @ Oct 22, 2013 - 9:55 AM) *
Whelp.... if there is some interest, I can keep posting some photos and progress as we work toward April 2014 @ Gingeman Raceway...

Please do! biggrin.gif

--------------------

SOLD :( 1997 ST204 Celica ZR -----> See it here on 6GC!
2013 October Celica of the Month XD
Now: '00 NB8B Mazda MX5 -----> See it here in off topic!
post Oct 22, 2013 - 9:07 AM
+Quote Post
Keiri

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 6, '04
From Charlotte, NC
Currently Offline

Sweet, sweet progress!

Love the look of Celicas running in motorsports.

--------------------
Has no more Celicas
post Oct 22, 2013 - 9:55 AM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

hire me! I wanna race with ya!

Looks fun! Awesome cage to haha

--------------------

1995 GT::::Diffusing the Situation
エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
march 2010 COTM : 6GC feature 2014 : january 2015-2016-2018 COTM
post Oct 22, 2013 - 10:10 AM
+Quote Post
qatar11

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 29, '02
From Lake Orion, MI
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Tigawoods @ Oct 22, 2013 - 10:55 AM) *
hire me! I wanna race with ya!

Looks fun! Awesome cage to haha

The cage is pretty solid... Lemons/Chump safety rules have matured to the point that the care are a log book away from NASA/SCCA eligibility.

--------------------
-Mike
mjcoury@gmail.com
Team Reynolds Style
Celica Blog
Celica Wiki

It will take him a moment to realize that he's about to make a 180 degree turn at speed, but you will be ready for it. Brace for the g's, and fast heel-toe work.
post Oct 22, 2013 - 2:55 PM
+Quote Post
czwalga

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 27, '10
From pittsburgh
Currently Offline

2014.... i'm pretty sure you're running an awd celica rally car in 2014 right??????

Haha, nice work.

--------------------
-93 Rx7, Turbo 6.1L v8, 725rwhp/760rwtq
-95 Celica GT Rally Car - 3sge/AWD
-10 F150

Always buying stock wheels... PM me if interested in selling.
post Oct 22, 2013 - 3:29 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Sooo out of place and awkward... tongue.gif

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Oct 22, 2013 - 3:57 PM
+Quote Post
qatar11

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 29, '02
From Lake Orion, MI
Currently Offline

QUOTE (czwalga @ Oct 22, 2013 - 3:55 PM) *
2014.... i'm pretty sure you're running an awd celica rally car in 2014 right??????

I'm going to need a bigger race budget...

--------------------
-Mike
mjcoury@gmail.com
Team Reynolds Style
Celica Blog
Celica Wiki

post Oct 22, 2013 - 4:37 PM
+Quote Post
cardshark525

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 12, '09
From State College, PA
Currently Offline

My car will get there over the course of the next year. Glad to see others are into it as well. Having a fast car on the streets is fun but I have no intention of getting into trouble that way and it's so much different than driving in Europe (I'm originally from Croatia). There's so much more traffic here and the highways are flat out not made for it especially after trucks put nice groves into the roads lol.

I do have two questions for you though, what size rims/tires are you running, and do you have as much trouble with understeer as I would expect or have you found a way to counteract it/negate it?
post Oct 22, 2013 - 7:28 PM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

QUOTE (czwalga @ Oct 22, 2013 - 3:55 PM) *

That does seem a natural progression, your car would be well cared for I think.

--------------------
'97 ST \ Eibach \ KYB \ Kenwood \ Alpine \ Cusco \ OEM+ [sold 10/18]
'93 MX-5 LE
post Oct 22, 2013 - 9:20 PM
+Quote Post
qatar11

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 29, '02
From Lake Orion, MI
Currently Offline

QUOTE (cardshark525 @ Oct 22, 2013 - 5:37 PM) *
My car will get there over the course of the next year. Glad to see others are into it as well. Having a fast car on the streets is fun but I have no intention of getting into trouble that way and it's so much different than driving in Europe (I'm originally from Croatia). There's so much more traffic here and the highways are flat out not made for it especially after trucks put nice groves into the roads lol.

I do have two questions for you though, what size rims/tires are you running, and do you have as much trouble with understeer as I would expect or have you found a way to counteract it/negate it?

We have never really experienced understeer on the race track... Mind you that is a prepared surface... We run 15" OE GT wheels, Falken Azenis Rubber. KYB GR2 Shocks. Vogtland Springs. Normal Sway Bar. EBC Yellow Brakes. We run OE toe, -2.5 Negative front and -1.5 Negative rear camber.

Towards the end of the tire life we will start to get understeer... which is about 8-10 hours of track time.

This post has been edited by qatar11: Oct 22, 2013 - 9:21 PM

--------------------
-Mike
mjcoury@gmail.com
Team Reynolds Style
Celica Blog
Celica Wiki

post Oct 22, 2013 - 10:18 PM
+Quote Post
cardshark525

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 12, '09
From State College, PA
Currently Offline

Nice to see most of the track parts I was looking at are what you are running. Will probably look at Nitto NT01's for tires since I was really impressed by their performance and life. Did you swap the front rotors to accommodate the EBC Yellow's? I ran EBC green and then Hawk HP's on my old Celica (not track car) and was impressed by both for street use (will be using yellow for track as well).

QUOTE (qatar11 @ Oct 22, 2013 - 10:20 PM) *
QUOTE (cardshark525 @ Oct 22, 2013 - 5:37 PM) *

We have never really experienced understeer on the race track... Mind you that is a prepared surface... We run 15" OE GT wheels, Falken Azenis Rubber. KYB GR2 Shocks. Vogtland Springs. Normal Sway Bar. EBC Yellow Brakes. We run OE toe, -2.5 Negative front and -1.5 Negative rear camber.

Towards the end of the tire life we will start to get understeer... which is about 8-10 hours of track time.

This post has been edited by cardshark525: Oct 22, 2013 - 10:25 PM
post Oct 23, 2013 - 6:37 AM
+Quote Post
qatar11

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 29, '02
From Lake Orion, MI
Currently Offline

QUOTE (cardshark525 @ Oct 22, 2013 - 11:18 PM) *
Nice to see most of the track parts I was looking at are what you are running. Will probably look at Nitto NT01's for tires since I was really impressed by their performance and life. Did you swap the front rotors to accommodate the EBC Yellow's? I ran EBC green and then Hawk HP's on my old Celica (not track car) and was impressed by both for street use (will be using yellow for track as well).

We cannot run the Nitto tire (it looks like a nice tire) as the tread wear rating (100) is below the 24 hour of Lemons minimum (180). The front brakes are ST185 Calipers and Rotors which cross listed with Camry parts.... which means spares are exceedingly cheap ($45 for rebuilt caliper, $30 for a rotor). It is not exactly a direct fit... I have a machine shop open up the hole in the center of the rotor and you need to offset the caliper with washers... but it has worked well so far. The EBC yellows are an amazing pad- I would like to actually try the Hawk pad but we never have the car in a position where we can test and compare results so we have been sticking with EBC Yellow for now.

First Race Car Build Night is in the books... All the Spare Parts have been inventoried and we took the tarp off to check on the condition of the engine bay. Next week the engine will come out as it has a spun rod bearing and we'll try to get some work done before the weather really goes to pot.... we really need to do something about that air intake...

This post has been edited by qatar11: Oct 23, 2013 - 6:41 AM

--------------------
-Mike
mjcoury@gmail.com
Team Reynolds Style
Celica Blog
Celica Wiki

post Nov 6, 2013 - 7:47 PM
+Quote Post
qatar11

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 29, '02
From Lake Orion, MI
Currently Offline

Still trying to work out the kinks with the GoPro time lapse... will try again next week.

--------------------
-Mike
mjcoury@gmail.com
Team Reynolds Style
Celica Blog
Celica Wiki

post Nov 6, 2013 - 11:33 PM
+Quote Post
H8TRAIN

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 20, '13
From Cal Bay Area
Currently Offline

The work. The photography. The firechickens. I am entertained.
post Nov 19, 2013 - 10:11 PM
+Quote Post
qatar11

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 29, '02
From Lake Orion, MI
Currently Offline

"Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can"
-HST
Tore down 2 engines today... they will be joining a 3rd at the machine shop for hot tanking and hone/polishing/etc...

just some random photos of the shinanigans...

--------------------
-Mike
mjcoury@gmail.com
Team Reynolds Style
Celica Blog
Celica Wiki

post Nov 20, 2013 - 7:56 AM
+Quote Post
czwalga

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 27, '10
From pittsburgh
Currently Offline

I NEED LAT LINK DIMENSIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! haha.

--------------------
-93 Rx7, Turbo 6.1L v8, 725rwhp/760rwtq
-95 Celica GT Rally Car - 3sge/AWD
-10 F150

Always buying stock wheels... PM me if interested in selling.
post Nov 20, 2013 - 5:47 PM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

That is a serious parts resource you've there. Half the Celica's engines...

--------------------
'97 ST \ Eibach \ KYB \ Kenwood \ Alpine \ Cusco \ OEM+ [sold 10/18]
'93 MX-5 LE
post Nov 26, 2013 - 3:18 PM
+Quote Post
qatar11

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 29, '02
From Lake Orion, MI
Currently Offline

Boring Update:

I got 1 set of Cams / Crank back from the Machine shop... Dropped off 3 blocks 2 more cranks and 2 more sets of cams... going to go through all the pistons/rods lying around and figure out how to get those cleaned as well... once everything is back home... it will be time to do some serious measuring... and maybe balancing?? hrm...

--------------------
-Mike
mjcoury@gmail.com
Team Reynolds Style
Celica Blog
Celica Wiki

post Dec 4, 2013 - 6:13 PM
+Quote Post
qatar11

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 29, '02
From Lake Orion, MI
Currently Offline

Hopefully there is 2 good heads out of this mess, from Left to Right

2011 Nelson Ledges - Overheated
2012 Autobahn Country Club - Spun Connecting Rod
2012 Daily Driver - Dirty Dirty Dirty

Random Pistons

--------------------
-Mike
mjcoury@gmail.com
Team Reynolds Style
Celica Blog
Celica Wiki

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 12:02 PM