Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ST-205 swap
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
lupin
whats up everyone! (my 1st post) anyways, this question has probably been asked many times, but my 28K modem (ouch!) kinda restricts me from seaching the forums.
so....i currently have a 96 celica gt, automatic. how difficult is it to obtain a gt4 engine? how much will it cost (ballpark estimate)? where can i obtain one?
secondly, with my automatic, is there anyway to convert that to manual? how much?

thanks a lot!
Matthew
which generation of engine do you want? ST165/ST185/ST205

The 165's and 185's are gonna be less expensive, but they 205 has a newer motor. Thus, bigger injectors, throttle body, etc. It will also be easier to get an engine that is about the same year as your car because the wiring will be similiar.

Also the best thing to do (ask anyone) is to get a front clip of a gt-4. This will give you everything that you will need (mostly) to do the swap. 99% of the time the clip comes with the AWD tranny too. So there is your question about the automatic. Now you will have manual, if you choose to change the tranny too.

For just parts you are looking at about 3500-4500. Not including installation of the motor/tranny or shipping the front clip.

If you need anymore info my Aol Instant Messenger is "igotta5SFEturbo"

Edit: Shipping will be about 200 since you live in Cali.
Matt
1_Winged_Angel
3s-gte Archive

This is from Celica.net, and should answer a lot of your questions.

Charlie97L
QUOTE (igotta5S-FEturbo @ Feb 2, 2003 - 10:15 AM)
which generation of engine do you want?  ST165/ST185/ST205

The 165's and 185's are gonna be less expensive, but they 205 has a newer motor.  Thus, bigger injectors, throttle body, etc.  It will also be easier to get an engine that is about the same year as your car because the wiring will be similiar. 

Also the best thing to do (ask anyone) is to get a front clip of a gt-4.  This will give you everything that you will need (mostly) to do the swap.  99% of the time the clip comes with the AWD tranny too.  So there is your question about the automatic.  Now you will have manual, if you choose to change the tranny too. 

For just parts you are looking at about 3500-4500.  Not including installation of the motor/tranny or shipping the front clip. 

If you need anymore info my Aol Instant Messenger is "igotta5SFEturbo"

Edit: Shipping will be about 200 since you live in Cali.
Matt

hey man, that's almost right... the wiring for either st185 or st205 will be just as hard. the hard part isn't converting it from a 5th gen wiring to a 6th gen wiring, but converting from JDM to US spec, because the car is RHD in Japan. also, the st185 has parts that are available in the US. if anything on your st205 needs to be replaced, you will have to order the parts from japan or the UK, like spark plugs, wires, belts, etc.

for those of you that doubt this, i confirmed it today, you have to use japan/UK parts for the 205, they are not available in the US.
FallenHero
I would think you could order them from a local dealership though. After all, you can get most anything else from them.
Charlie97L
QUOTE (FallenHero @ Feb 2, 2003 - 9:31 PM)
I would think you could order them from a local dealership though. After all, you can get most anything else from them.

oh usually you can, but i wouldn't want to wait 6-8 weeks for spark plugs.
Mynzeyes
QUOTE (Charlie97L @ Feb 2, 2003 - 10:50 PM)
QUOTE (FallenHero @ Feb 2, 2003 - 9:31 PM)
I would think you could order them from a local dealership though.  After all, you can get most anything else from them.

oh usually you can, but i wouldn't want to wait 6-8 weeks for spark plugs.

order in bulk. and order more before you run out. kinda like w/ a presciption. (for those of us that have to take medicine everyday for the rest of our lives....) thumbsdown.gif

-John-
jayi12-15psi
you can obtain clips from venus auto, they have fairly reasonable prices to, since your in cali I'd think about 500 to ship from japan. 2nd gens would cost you around 1500, and cost for the 3rd gen(the best) would cost around 3500.

I recomend the 3rd gen, it has 255hp compared to the 2nd gen's 225

oh and if you were thinking about a usdm 3s-gte, its not worth it it has 200hp compared to the jdm 225hp.
Charlie97L
QUOTE (jayi12-15psi @ Feb 3, 2003 - 1:16 PM)
you can obtain clips from venus auto, they have fairly reasonable prices to, since your in cali I'd think about 500 to ship from japan. 2nd gens would cost you around 1500, and cost for the 3rd gen(the best) would cost around 3500.

oh and if you were thinking about a usdm 3s-gte, its not worth it it has 200hp compared to the jdm 225hp.

they don't ship from japan, they ship from their warehouse in CA. you can go pick it up too if you want.
idriveatruckWTF
QUOTE (Charlie97L @ Feb 3, 2003 - 3:09 PM)
you can obtain clips from venus auto, they have fairly reasonable prices to, since your in cali I'd think about 500 to ship from japan.  2nd gens would cost you around 1500, and cost for the 3rd gen(the best) would cost around 3500.

they don't ship from japan, they ship from their warehouse in CA. you can go pick it up too if you want.

where's it located at?
Matthew

97-99 mr2's have 255hp USDM.

The 3rd gen is probably the best engine (I have a clip already) but from what I hear the 2nd gen has just as much potential as the third gen. Unless you get a R/C or as some people call it Group A (like I luckily got)

That's all for now

Matt
FallenHero
How'd you swing that Matt? I heard they were impossible to find!
Charlie97L
QUOTE (igotta5S-FEturbo @ Feb 3, 2003 - 7:39 PM)
you can obtain clips from venus auto, they have fairly reasonable prices to, since your in cali I'd think about 500 to ship from japan.  2nd gens would cost you around 1500, and cost for the 3rd gen(the best) would cost around 3500.

97-99 mr2's have 255hp USDM.

The 3rd gen is probably the best engine (I have a clip already) but from what I hear the 2nd gen has just as much potential as the third gen. Unless you get a R/C or as some people call it Group A (like I luckily got)

That's all for now

Matt

it's an R/C when you are referring to an ST185 and Group A when you are referring to a ST205.

also, have you checked that it was a group A engine? or are you just going on what tpautomotive told you?
idriveatruckWTF
So where's venus-auto located at? And what does R/C stand for?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.