Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine idle fluctuates then shuts off
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
belizecelica
I just had my mechanic install a 7afe in my 95 ST, because the old engine was shot. It worked fine for two weeks, then now, problems. My check engine light comes on, the engine idles extremely low in neutral, then shuts down. I have to keep my foot on the pedal just to keep it from stalling. This is a good engine from a 97 corolla with 30K miles. Why is this happening???
khanster
hook a scanner to it and see what the code is from the check engine light. With the new OBDII systems you should be able to read your trouble code and diagnose the problem.
ToYCeLi8
OH CRAP THE EXACT SAME THING is happening to my car and i just posted a whole new topic (my bad). But i have a 92 3sgte. I wonder if that makes any difference?? Let me know what happens.
Mike
Maybe it's your air flow sensor in the filter box. Check to see that it is installed properly. I forget exactly where it is with a stock air box installed because I got my cold air a long time ago, but check the owners manual it should show you exactly where the air flow sensor is..
celicarocker
something like that happened on my old car... when it was REAL cold it would stall if i didnt hold my foot on the gas pedal... so every morning i would have to stay outside in my cold car holding down the gas... it SUCKED....
NEVERSTOP
check your throttle cable to make sure it is nice and snug. also check the throttle return cable if you car has one. Otherwise the throttle spring might be bad. It should idle between 800-1000 Rpm's with only slight fluctuations. You might want to also check your sparkplugs to make sure there gapped right.
belizecelica
Ive adjusted the thotle but the check engine light is still on.
Four
i had this happen to me in my 92 3sgte. it would die after about 5-10 secs of idle. but could drive perfectly normal. it turned out to be my intake manifold gasket. towards the end before i had it fixed i was only gettin 10 vaccum. sucks if thats the problem cost about 450 - 1000 in labor cuz it such a bitch to get to.

you can check by getting brak cleaner and spraying it where the manifold hit the motor, sorta by your fuel rail. if thats what it is when u spray it on your idle will come back up. also you can hear it sorta.
belizecelica
ok ill try that asap
cleanrolla97dx
well seeing that your car is a 95 (OBD I) and the engine is a 97 (OBD II) you may have ran into problems w/ the ECU if you are using your stock ecu from your car.
have you tried to get rid of the CEL by resetting your ECU?

have you checked all your vaccum lines to see if they are good?
pull one off at a time and plug them w/ your finger to see what the engine does. also check to see if they are worn and cracked.

are you puffing any smoke?
the air temp sensor in the intake box may have gone bad, you may be running too rich or too lean.

have you replaced your fuel filter?
it may be clogged.....
have you checked your timing?
timing may be off if the dude didnt tighten down the distributor

sounds like there is a fuel or air problem............................ good luck
belizecelica
Thanks. i have reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery. (if thats how you do it) I am using an inatke from a civic and i didnt plug in the mass air flow sensor because there is no hole. I have to drill a hole and stick it in. Im thinking this is the problem. Hopefully this will solve my problem.
Kwanza26
QUOTE (belizecelica @ Mar 18, 2004 - 4:27 AM)
Thanks. i have reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery. (if thats how you do it) I am using an inatke from a civic and i didnt plug in the mass air flow sensor because there is no hole. I have to drill a hole and stick it in. Im thinking this is the problem. Hopefully this will solve my problem.

I think that's just a temp sensor but who knows... It might cause a CEL. I'd say go back and check your vaccum lines. Usually when an EFI car idles really rough and dies, it's because of vaccum leaks. Take some carb cleaner spray and spray it around the intake manifold area. If that fixes your idle (for only a few seconds) then you have leaks...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.