Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 5sfe Turbo Manifold Question
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
turboinduction
Celi-guys,
I'm new to the Celica world and to this website. Not to turbos though... I've been running DSMs since I had my license. It says in the 5sfe walkthrough that you use a 4th gen ST185 exhaust manifold to turbo the car. If thats the case, can you use a ST185 Alltrac turbo upgrade kit.... like Blitz? Meaning larger turbo and possible better flowing exhaust manifold. I just think that I'll spend about the same amount of money on purchasing NEW 4th-gen ST185 parts over the Blitz upgrade. So why not go that route. Please slap me if i'm being naive on the subject. Thanks.

Edit:I mean 5th gen ST185 - I had a blonde moment
94Toy
I would assume that would work, but your still going to have to tap the oil lines and such.

If you want to save some money I would not buy an actual upgrade, but I would go another route, which I would say is going to be cheaper. First off I know turbonetics makes a manifold which they claim will bolt up to the 5S which you can find here.

then just find a turbo to slap on there tap the oil lines. get all the other stuff you need, and your set. Yeah, sounds simple enough confused.gif . But if you do it this way instead of buy like a blitz type of upgrade you will save a lot of money.

However they advantage to just doing a 3s swap is that your upgrades potential are virtually unlimited compared to the 5S. No matter which way you go, either through blitz of the way I described. Look for only around 200 wheel hp if that. Without seriouse internal engine upgrade your only going to be able to run an intercolled 6-8 psi. Where as with the 3s you can get double the hp with minimal of no internal upgrades just proper tunning.

And one last thing don't forget about the Ripp supercharger kit. Many people are starting to believe that this kit is the best, and safests way to induct your car.
snadman
Just to clarify, the ST185 is a 5th gen. Other than that I got nothing, and I don't know enough about turbo-ing the 5s to help out.
turboinduction
94Toy,
Thanks for the info. I wouldn't mind doing a 3S-GTE swap, however... I'm really not knowledgable at the subject. I've turbo'd N/A cars and built up quite a few engines in my life, but i've never done an engine swap. I have some Honda buddies that are obsessed in the subject, like dropping stroked 2.2's into CRX's. However, after watching them it seems harder than it looks. How does the AWD tranny work in the picture; do I have to change my tach and speedo; how do all the warning lights work... like check engine etc. These may be newbie questions but as I said.. I've never done an engine swap. I'm willing to try though smile.gif
sphinx
the swap is not difficult at all. The motor drops right in with little to no custom work. The only difficult part would be the harness. And for that, we have someone who takes care of it. His name is Qatar11. He can do your harness for a good price. After that. it's basicly all plug and play.
turboinduction
I understand that the motor mounts are the same. So drop and go huh? Still questioning the tranny? and after the wiring harness is taken care of, do all the visual moniters work. Like the tach and speedo. And again... Its Qatar11 a 6gc.net member? I'm assuming so. BTW... To all you celiguys. I write like Mark Twain, just get used to it. lol. To add "plus 1" to the swap, my current engine just broke 100k. I'm really not to sure if it'll handle turbo. A nice 3SGTE would be great though. Then I'll wonder if the mustang gt's can hangle my turbo. lol. Also, (god i'm really bad on multiply questions), can anyone drop this engine in. I mean someone that has done them before. Or am I talking about a good mechanic? Thanks guys.
sphinx
QUOTE (turboinduction @ Mar 18, 2004 - 3:23 PM)
I understand that the motor mounts are the same. So drop and go huh? Still questioning the tranny? and after the wiring harness is taken care of, do all the visual moniters work. Like the tach and speedo. And again... Its Qatar11 a 6gc.net member? I'm assuming so. BTW... To all you celiguys. I write like Mark Twain, just get used to it. lol. To add "plus 1" to the swap, my current engine just broke 100k. I'm really not to sure if it'll handle turbo. A nice 3SGTE would be great though. Then I'll wonder if the mustang gt's can hangle my turbo. lol. Also, (god i'm really bad on multiply questions), can anyone drop this engine in. I mean someone that has done them before. Or am I talking about a good mechanic? Thanks guys.

1. if you have a celica GT, then you can use that same tranny. If not, then you can use the mr2 turbo tranny.

2. Yes, you guage clusted will work. No Problem.

3. Qatar11 is a 6gc member. You can also find him on celica.net

4. The work isn't really that hard. I guess it just depends on how comfortable you feel doing it. If you think or know that you can take a part a motor, piece by piece, then put it all back together, then you can do it. If not, then i would consider taking it to a shop.

turboinduction
Thanks Sphinx,
If my tranny will work... do you think it'll hold up? Otherwise the Mr2 tranny huh. Will that hold more power? Also, I'll probably have to make some custom gauges, or aftermarket 3s gauges... I'm sure that the redline on the 3s is a bit more than the 6200 of the 5s. I miss my shifting at 7000 in the talon. Oh well. smile.gif

Again... sorry for being a newbie- its a phase i swear
blkGT
http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=5682
all about the trannys.

about the gauges, if you get a clip it should come with the guages then you can have the actual miles as well biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.