Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What are good plug and wires to get?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
BryonC17
I am rebuilding a 95 ST 1.8L Automatic. It has been sitting for about two years, but I think she is going to be ready to go by the end of next month. I am looking to do a complete tune-up. I am not looking to spend a lot of money. Also, would I get decent gains of a CAI? I know on my eclipse it is OK. Some cars react to parts differently. Any input is greatly appreciated. biggrin.gif
Supersprynt
NGK
95STHATCH
I second the NGK. They won't cost you alot either. Stay way from bosch,they run too hot in our cars.
DmVinny
I agree NGK all the way....
BryonC17
where can I pick those up at? Does ngk make wires as well? How much do those usually run?
Supersprynt
Just go to any old parts store. Ask for whatever you need. They'll probably have a couple different brands to select from.
kuya1284
stock
sinner96ST
QUOTE (BryonC17 @ Apr 11, 2004 - 7:23 PM)
I am rebuilding a 95 ST 1.8L Automatic. It has been sitting for about two years, but I think she is going to be ready to go by the end of next month. I am looking to do a complete tune-up. I am not looking to spend a lot of money. Also, would I get decent gains of a CAI? I know on my eclipse it is OK. Some cars react to parts differently. Any input is greatly appreciated. biggrin.gif

You'd see more gains out of the CAI than you would with plugs & wires. As Kuya said, stock would probably be fine, but if you're really uppity about upgrading stuff, i'd go for the NGK plugs and whichever wires you can score locally & cheap style.

I would suggest you change the trans fluid, replace air filter, change oil, etc.. do basic maintenance and she should be running brand new.
Supersprynt
I dont think he's looking for gains with the plugs and wires...just a tune up. He can get NGK OEM plugs.
kuya1284
QUOTE (sinner96ST @ Apr 12, 2004 - 9:44 AM)
QUOTE (BryonC17 @ Apr 11, 2004 - 7:23 PM)
I am rebuilding a 95 ST 1.8L Automatic.  It has been sitting for about two years, but I think she is going to be ready to go by the end of next month.  I am looking to do a complete tune-up.  I am not looking to spend a lot of money.  Also, would I get decent gains of a CAI? I know on my eclipse it is OK.  Some cars react to parts differently.  Any input is greatly appreciated. biggrin.gif

You'd see more gains out of the CAI than you would with plugs & wires. As Kuya said, stock would probably be fine, but if you're really uppity about upgrading stuff, i'd go for the NGK plugs and whichever wires you can score locally & cheap style.

I would suggest you change the trans fluid, replace air filter, change oil, etc.. do basic maintenance and she should be running brand new.

Like Super said, the stock plugs are in fact NGK.
Chrobis
wouldnt the stock plugs be denso.... considering they make all the other electrical crap on the car?

For plugs and wires, go NGK, or Denso. Dont get any special plugs or anything, no need... The plugs should run about $1.99 each or less.
Benevolence
When I needed to change my plugs I asked for stock and was given NGK ones so...
SpedToe169
Just go with OE type NGK wires and plugs. No need for anything special there.

On intakes....expect a good cold air intake to deliver gains between 3 and 8hp peak (depends greatly on other mods...i.e. exhaust). Torque will be where the big gain is. I've seen as much as 13ft-lbs from an intake on that motor. A shorty intake won't give you anything, in fact you'll probably lose power in hot weather.
Chrobis
if you ask for stock plugs from kragens or something then they will give you NGK's, because all of em are either stupid or drive honda's (dont know which one is worse) Stock plugs are made by Denso. Why would toyota contract out every other piece of electrical components to denso then use NGK plugs?
Supersprynt
Some came with nippon densos some came with NGK...to my understanding.
kuya1284
QUOTE (Chrobis @ Apr 13, 2004 - 9:51 AM)
if you ask for stock plugs from kragens or something then they will give you NGK's, because all of em are either stupid or drive honda's (dont know which one is worse) Stock plugs are made by Denso. Why would toyota contract out every other piece of electrical components to denso then use NGK plugs?

Actually, both are stock. Celica's come with either denso or NGK plugs out from the factory. Mine came with NGK plugs. And yes, I am the original owner of my car. This is straight from the owner's manual:

Spark plug type:

7A-FE engine
NIPPONDENSO K16R-U
NGK BKR5EYA

5S-FE engine
NIPPONDENSO PK20R11
NGK BKR6EP-11

And there's nothing wrong with driving a Honda.
Supersprynt
We posted basically the same thing at the same time.
initialdrift55
so its not good to get msd wires?
Chrobis
its not that its bad, its just a waste of money, because they wont do a thing for you.
BryonC17
Thanks for all the good info. I am not really looking to turn it into a race machine or anything like that, but I figured a CAI would be a good cheap mod. So I should get a full one instead of a short-ram style....what is a good inexpensive longer one? I know I could "make" one, but I'd rather not. I have had to many bad experiences with ghetto intakes.

As far as the plugs go, NGK seems to be the way I should go.
SpedToe169
*warning, shameless plug*

ww.evilspeed.com
BryonC17
what?
Supersprynt
You forgot a w: EvilSpeed
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.