Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Son of a Bish
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
subsolo_21
Ok...I went to leave for school this morning, got in my car and cranked it. I noticed some sort of noise that sounded like it could be my belt squeaking really bad, which had never happened b4. I raised my hood and looked around (w/ my car still running). After a while it began smelling hot and then I saw some smoke coming up. HOLY S*** my car's dying...so I try turning it off. I turned it completely off and took the key out of the ignition. The car just keeps trying to crank itself. By now I'm kinda freaking out. I figured out my starter wasa stuck, so I pulled my battery cable off and that stopped it, but as soon as I touched the cable back to the terminal it starts trying to crank itself again. Finally I just called my dad to get it fixed and drove my Bronco to school. I may have to get a new starter. I'll keep you guys posted on it and if I ever get it fixed and can get to a camera, I'll get some pics up of the stuff I've done to it over the last few months.
boosted_K2
sounds like something shorted itself out.
gas65
You might want to check your ignition switch along with the starter, my old Honda Civic did about the same thing, by the time I got pulled over and stopped, about half my engine compartment wiring harnesses had melted and were sending fire through the vent holes in my hood. The ignition switch kept sending a hot signal to the starter solenoid which finally got so hot it melted the wiring and started a fire underneath my hood, and the whole time the starter never tried to engage.I had to replace the 2 main wiring harnesses, the battery cables, the starter, the ignition switch, and the battery. It was a complete nightmare, I hate electrical fires on a car.

So definetly have the ignition switch checked out before you burn out another starter.
blkGT
i had a problem like this. im driving a early 90's camry since my car is down. and the ignition coil went out. so i jacked the one off my celli rolleyes.gif
subsolo_21
Well I finally fixed the prob yesterday. Had to buy a new starter($110) frown.gif plus pay a guy i know $50 to change it out for me. Now that I watched him I shouldve just done it myself, but I wanted to be sure it was done right so...there goes some $. Oh well, having my celi running again is worth it, so now I can get back to driving it and modding it. I'm sooooooooo happy. smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
Batman722
where did you get the starter ?
subsolo_21
auto zone
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.