Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1994 Celica GT 2.2L
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
GTcelica1994
biggrin.gif Hey I'm wes and i just bought a 1994 celica GT about a month ago. I love the car and i'm just wondering where to start with having little cost. I also am wondering where i can find a cheap turbo kit and nice set of rims. Just buying a car... i cant afford much ... but u have to start somwhere right???? write back please... i am open for any input and suggestions that one may have. thanks!!! smile.gif
slipgun
Cheap turbo kit is A. Not really an option B. I wouldnt do it, look into what it will do more first, how much millage you have and if you engine can take it. I sugest starting small, paint your dash, free things, learn your car. Look around at what others have done and figure out what you like and try to mix and match. I started with how to articles, being that buying a car left me broke too. A good set of rims and tires will run you 800+. I sugest spending atleast two months really gettin together the plan of what you want, then start spending. Do you want to go show or go? Give us an idea where you wana be so we can help ya out more smile.gif
aaronc222
I agree with having a plan and painting the dash inserts. I never realised how big of a difference the colored inserts made untill I saw a stock dash again.
There are several good places to get rims/tires(whalentire.com, tirerack.com, wheelsnext.com...). I would suggest looking at peoples sigs and profiles and deciding what style you like.
First upgrades depend on what you want. If you want it to look good, go with rims and a body kit. If you like sound, go with a new head unit, amps and subs, and better speakers. If you want performance, start with an exhaust. If you want handling, start with a strut bar and then save for a coilover kit.

Being a 94 though, I'd start by getting it back to factory specs. The suspension bushings are probably worn, along with the end links for the sway bars. It might need a timing belt, plugs, and wires... Basic maintenence should come first, and while you're doing that you can come up with a good direction to go in and get familiar with the car.
mikeh117
As you have a naturally aspirated GT the turbo option will be very expensive and complicated. If you want improved performance then I'd start with the intake and exhaust. Styling is also a good option as you can select the type of upgrade - cheap ones like clear side repeaters and painted calipers or more expensive ones like bodykits. My fist upgrade on my GT was to get some 17" split rims. It totally transformed the car.
sinner96ST
Ask yourself two things :

1) How much time / money / effort are you willing to dump in to the car?
2) Are you able to diagnose problems / troubleshoot the car if it breaks.

If you can't dump lots of money in to the car, or you can't fix it yourself, I would honestly push the engine to it's limits right now in it's N/A form. Lightened Flywheel, intake, exhaust, header, clutch, anything else you can do without a lot of labor. Flywheel/Clutch work will probably be the most labor intensive out of all of that. With all these mods, I think you'll be happy with the results, but of course being the engine is only 130bhp, you will be left wanting more.

Since it's a 94 GT an engine swap would be a perfect choice for you. That will run you a few grand, but will basically double the amount of horsepower you have right now. 99.9% of swappers will tell you it is worth it, boost is addicting & pretty much the only way you're ever going to be able to make that car as fast as it looks.

"cheap and easy" always screws you in the end, especially when you're dealing with an automobile.. it's just not safe. I would not, under any circumstances, boost on your motor, or any us spec 6gc motor, without a lot of preparation. Most people on here get screwed by running boost, because they overlook one or two things. You'll hear a lot of people talk about blown fuel pumps, head gaskets, and melting pistons. It just really is a mess, and you would honestly be better off swapping out the engine for a 3SGTE. That motor has better head design, and has a factory installed turbo. Search around these boards for "swap" and you'll see tons of info related to it. Good luck!
ssnake86
what engine are you talking about swaping the 3s-Ge or 3S-GTE? how much it cost to get a 3SGTE enigine and then put it in?
FAQdaWorld
You could swap either engine, it is probably much more efficient to swap the 3sgte as it is turbo. There is a sticky on this maybe you should take a look at it, it will help to answer a lot of your guestions. Welcome to the site / family smile.gif

-Ryan
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.