Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TMIC vs. FMIC
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Yota
I'm getting ready to purchase an ST205 for my ST. But I don't know whether I want to keep the TMIC or convert to a FMIC. The TMIC would keep it more of a sleeper, but I'd want the vented style CF hood to go with. But I kinda want to have a FMIC as well. I'm thinking that which ever way I go, I'll be spending close to the same amount of money in getting a FMIC or a Vented Style CF Hood. Which would you guys recommend?

Thanks guys!
presure2
well the st205 is water and air cooled so it does a MUCH better job than the st185....less heatsoak..so you can use the 205 inercooler, and it will do a good job,..its more a matter of what you want at that point IMO
Yota
Does anyone know where I can find a vented style CF Hood that only weighs 10-20 lbs? My buddy bought a VIS one and it is fiberglass with a Carbon Fiber overlay. It weighs 50 lbs. I don't want anything like that!!!
Sirius
Difficult choice - depends on many things.

What are your goals in terms of power? The ST205 chargecooler is good for 400 BHP.

But it is fairly complicated with pump and radiator etc.

If you wanted the nice look of a big front mount - I guess you could get a huge radiator for the chargecooler fluid - it would look exactly the same.
Supersprynt
If u got a vented hood idk if the TMIC would fit correctly.
Junior
I though the vented hood is needed to use the TMIC. Has anyone used a TMIC with a stock USDM hood?
LatinKraze
QUOTE (Junior @ Apr 21, 2004 - 1:50 PM)
I though the vented hood is needed to use the TMIC. Has anyone used a TMIC with a stock USDM hood?

Hot air rises. so if you got TMIC with stock hood, you aint cooling jack.
5sfeTurbo
QUOTE (LatinKraze @ Apr 21, 2004 - 1:55 PM)
I though the vented hood is needed to use the TMIC.  Has anyone used a TMIC with a stock USDM hood?

Preach on brother!!
Supersprynt
It'll fit under the stock hood, however, like latin said, u'll get heat soaked.

I put a hood scoop on mine to allow air in when driving and out while sitting. And wow can you see the heat rising outta the scoop.
Yota
Where would the problem be on the Vented hood?
UT_Celica_GT
anyone know pricing on vented hoods. how much to buy a GT4 hood, would it fit right onto a 6gc? How much would it cost to get custom FMIC instead? what are the pricing differences? Particuarly those that have swaped w/o a clip what did you do?
Supersprynt
Unless im wrong, the vented hood steeps down further? I would have to see a pic. But with the air to air, you want air going in...thats why i did mine like an alltrac scoop. Ram air.
neoklis
QUOTE (LatinKraze @ Apr 21, 2004 - 8:55 PM)
I though the vented hood is needed to use the TMIC.  Has anyone used a TMIC with a stock USDM hood?

I have a gt4 so here it goes once and for all. The hood thing is merely cosmetic on the GT 4 as the hood has the heat shield material underneath as all cars. So i cant really see how you cant use the oem hood. Yes it gets hotter under the GT4 hood but that's about it. As its water-to-air heat and clean air is not that important as witha FMIC.
LatinKraze
Hmmmm, i guess turbo tone must have removed his heat shield material. His vent seems to be functional. I was basing my reply by what i saw in his profile. I guess im wrong.
tufy
i have fmic on my car.. i put fmic becauce my ic radiator was broken in an accident. if you have money to spend some where. spend it down pipe, on boost controller ecu remappin ect.. stock intercoller is very effective on our cars. is your country very hot? if you ll chose one for sure buy an fmic.. more effective then tmic and seems nice.
uzthedentist
have a gt4 so here it goes once and for all. The hood thing is merely cosmetic on the GT 4 as the hood has the heat shield material underneath as all cars. So i cant really see how you cant use the oem hood. Yes it gets hotter under the GT4 hood but that's about it. As its water-to-air heat and clean air is not that important as witha FMIC.

rubbish, you can easily remove the underbonnet lining and fibreglass shielding and still retain the timing belt snorkel. Thenm the vent is functional
directly above the manifold

user posted image
kuya1284
QUOTE (uzthedentist @ Apr 29, 2004 - 9:07 AM)
have a gt4 so here it goes once and for all. The hood thing is merely cosmetic on the GT 4 as the hood has the heat shield material underneath as all cars. So i cant really see how you cant use the oem hood. Yes it gets hotter under the GT4 hood but that's about it. As its water-to-air heat and clean air is not that important as witha FMIC.

rubbish, you can easily remove the underbonnet lining and fibreglass shielding and still retain the timing belt snorkel. Thenm the vent is functional
directly above the manifold

I concur!
UT_Celica_GT
Good! I read that and was all depressed cuz I was excited to get the hood for cosmetic and cooling for the TMIC. Glad to hear that it's not a big deal to open that vent up.
Drocay
user posted image

Thats just Sexy.
uzthedentist
just remember to retain the 3 studs for the timing belt snorkel
GT4SUM
Actually that timing belt snorkle isnt functional straight from factory either, theres another plate that blanks it off. I'll find out exactly where it is and get back to yous.

The existing air vent probably doesnt have that much effect on the intercooler itself, but as said before if you have a GT4 definitly make it operational, as it lets a massive amount of heat out of the engine bay.

Plus it looks cool when it rains... biggrin.gif
neoklis
Hey hold on here. I did not say i cannot be functional. I was just answering a question regarding the need of a scoop for a tmic and said that the factory does not have it as functional. I will be removing the heat shield material from my gt4 as well. Its much better as the car breaths much better and you can hear the turbo spooling louder. I am only concerned about the heat and any damage that can cause to the hood's paint. btw normal summer temp in my country is 40deg Celc. so you can see why i worry so much about the heat.
GT4SUM
QUOTE (neoklis @ Apr 29, 2004 - 3:15 PM)
Hey hold on here. I did not say i cannot be functional. I was just answering a question regarding the need of a scoop for a tmic and said that the factory does not have it as functional. I will be removing the heat shield material from my gt4 as well. Its much better as the car breaths much better and you can hear the turbo spooling louder. I am only concerned about the heat and any damage that can cause to the hood's paint. btw normal summer temp in my country is 40deg Celc. so you can see why i worry so much about the heat.

Im not so sure that it would hurt the paint much if at all. The vent would let out a lot of the heat from the engine bay, plus the aluminium doesnt seem to retain the heat much,so you should be right wink.gif
uzthedentist
am only concerned about the heat and any damage that can cause to the hood's paint. btw normal summer temp in my country is 40deg Celc. so you can see why i worry so much about the heat.

nah ive had mine off for a yr and theres no paint probs
Chrobis
I took off my heat shiel stuf a long time ago, and now even running with a 3S-GTE under the hood, and no vents, the paint is fine. And the hood gets to the point of not being able to be touched because of heat. smile.gif
NEVERSTOP
Hey yoda.. I got a hood for sale for 200 that would be perfect for what your tryin to do.. and since you live just a few miles away no SHIPPIng.. hit me up if your interested

THanks
NEVERSTOP
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.