Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Toyota Atlantic Engines
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Milds3vn
I'm sure many of you know the 4AGE engine is the engine in the Toyota Atlantic series and puts out about 240HP or so in race trim. I have a 7A-FE engine in my 97 ST and was wondering if any of the performance tunning that has been done to that race 4AGE engine is applicable to my engine. I'm not sure how solid of an engine the 7A-FE is...I want to be all motor and put out 200hp before I go turbo so if anyone could drop some knowledge on me about how to make that possible, if it is. I see everyone swapping out the 7A-FE which makes me think that its not worth beefing up but i hope the engine has the potential to be a strong powerplant.(what internals are out there for doing this?) How capable is our lil 7A-FE?

A 1.6L n/a putting out 240hp....

Mine is 1.8L n/a putting out 105ish....there must be something i can do with my engine besides the obvious headers, exhaust, etc.....If a 1.6 can make 240hp the 1.8 must be able to hit 200hp without forced induction...
FallenHero
Guess again friend. The 7a is not built for performance. Because of this, it cannot handle much of it! If you want power, swap it for that 4A you were talking about. (the only way to get a quick 200 from our engine is to run lots of Nos and pray.)
Milds3vn
What if i did the head swap and gained that extra .2 L of displacement and reworked the internals? I know the whole connection between the Toyota Atlantic engine and mine is a stretch because its a race engine. But i gotta think that somehow there is a decent platform in the 7A-FE to get something going. I understand its an economy engine but can't it be reworked into a performance engine? Is there any camshaft upgrade that i could do or what about the Topline engine Kit from http://www.importperformanceparts.net/? Does that kit help performance or is it just to fix a internal engine problem. My dad has had numerous MGBs and has had them bored out and new pistons,headers, head work and all that s*** so I dont see why i couldn't do some of the same type of internal reworkings to my 7A-FE engine.
Coomer
I think it's much easier and cost effective to simply swap in a 4A-GE rather than swap heads and pay for expensive 7A-FE internal parts. With money, anything is possible though.
macavely
the problem with the any toyota engein that is an FE it's just not strong enough for all that power. I wish my 7A FE could be beefed up and hold all that power to. But then again maybe it can hold it i'm going to look around to see if anyone has done any major work on 7A FE.
Charlie97L
QUOTE (Milds3vn @ Feb 11, 2003 - 10:52 PM)
What if i did the head swap and gained that extra .2 L of displacement and reworked the internals? I know the whole connection between the Toyota Atlantic engine and mine is a stretch because its a race engine. But i gotta think that somehow there is a decent platform in the 7A-FE to get something going. I understand its an economy engine but can't it be reworked into a performance engine? Is there any camshaft upgrade that i could do or what about the Topline engine Kit from http://www.importperformanceparts.net/? Does that kit help performance or is it just to fix a internal engine problem. My dad has had numerous MGBs and has had them bored out and new pistons,headers, head work and all that s*** so I dont see why i couldn't do some of the same type of internal reworkings to my 7A-FE engine.

not worth it. the only way you can get power out of the 7afe is to go turbo or nitrous. also, realize, the toyota atlantic engines are waaaaaaaaay illegal. they have really high cams and run only on like 110 octane gas.

4age is a great engine, you can get a lot of power out of it, but it costs $$ and usually makes the engine not road legal.
Mynzeyes
QUOTE (Charlie97L @ Feb 12, 2003 - 7:02 PM)
QUOTE (Milds3vn @ Feb 11, 2003 - 10:52 PM)
What if i did the head swap and gained that extra .2 L of displacement and reworked the internals?  I know the whole connection between the Toyota Atlantic engine and mine is a stretch because its a race engine.  But i gotta think that somehow there is a decent platform in the 7A-FE to get something going.  I understand its an economy engine but can't it be reworked into a performance engine? Is there any camshaft upgrade that i could do or what about the Topline engine Kit from http://www.importperformanceparts.net/? Does that kit help performance or is it just to fix a internal engine problem.  My dad has had numerous MGBs and has had them bored out and new pistons,headers, head work and all that s*** so I dont see why i couldn't do some of the same type of internal reworkings to my 7A-FE engine.

not worth it. the only way you can get power out of the 7afe is to go turbo or nitrous. also, realize, the toyota atlantic engines are waaaaaaaaay illegal. they have really high cams and run only on like 110 octane gas.

4age is a great engine, you can get a lot of power out of it, but it costs $$ and usually makes the engine not road legal.

yeah. what he said. biggrin.gif
FallenHero
I have heard that the bottom end of the 7A is the major problem. Get a 4A-gze and use a turbo. Best way to get cheapest possible big power from our cars.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.