Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Check engine light Tool
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
djspike
Any body know where you can buy the check engine light tool?
and how much? (roughly)
macavely
most parts store carry them.. i'm not sure how much they cost ... some were around 100 bucks for any obdII
Andason
QUOTE (djspike @ May 9, 2004 - 7:22 PM)
Any body know where you can buy the check engine light tool?
and how much? (roughly)

cant you just use a paper clip?
djspike
i thought you cant do that with a 96
orvillescelica
yeah, ive been wondering this too. The chilton manual says to use the tool for 96+. Do you think any places rent/lends them?
macavely
yea i think autozone does.. well one of their people will come out and do it for you..
djspike
we dont have a autozone here
we have shucks and Napa
Chrobis
well I have a 97 and umm I use my diagnostic tool, its a stripped wire biggrin.gif You need to use one of the smaller paperclips, big ones dont fit to well.

as far as I know there would be no reason for them to change the diagnostic port...
KnightRider
i thought that obd1 was in 94-95 in which you need a jumper (aka paperclip) to get the code and a 96-99 was obd2 where you can use the little thing you plug in and it tells you.
djspike
so chrobis you use a small paper clip(trick) and it works for your 97?
ssnake86
you insert paper clip where? and what does it do? gives you a code?
macavely
QUOTE (ssnake86 @ May 10, 2004 - 1:30 AM)

look at the how to section.. it shows you on there what everyone is talking about
Chrobis
QUOTE (ssnake86 @ May 9, 2004 - 10:30 PM)

Yes you insert the paper clip into 2 slots and then a magical reaction ocurs and your engine, with a strong deap voice, tells you any problems it is having rolleyes.gif

Check out the how to section like mac said, and OBD and OBDII are smog systems, not diagnostic systems. Why would this have anything to do with the Diagnostic port.
Supersprynt
Dont buy anything, use a paperclip.

And my car has a sexxy female voice...idk man i'd have issues riding around knowing my car sounded like Darth Vader.
aaronc222
QUOTE (Chrobis @ May 10, 2004 - 12:46 PM)
Check out the how to section like mac said, and OBD and OBDII are smog systems, not diagnostic systems. Why would this have anything to do with the Diagnostic port.

On Board Diagnostics(OBD) is not a smog system. That's the EGR and cat. converter.
djspike
then why is every body saying you cant do that trick on 96 and above?
toyotaspeed_90
buy a haynes manual. they will tell you what pins to jump on the diagnostics plug

if you just want to turn the CEL off, disconnect the battery for 5 minutes
Chrobis
hey instead of spending the $20 on the haynes, go to the How to section right here on this webpage!
ssnake86
sorry for not knowing this. but where do i stick the paper clip in?
macavely
QUOTE (ssnake86 @ May 12, 2004 - 2:38 AM)
sorry for not knowing this. but where do i stick the paper clip in?

check here

click this now
djspike
So i did the paper clip trick
and put the car in the "ON" position
and all i get is the check engine light on
no blinking
i thought i must be doing some thing wrong
so i took it to my friend
same thing
and i have 96 ST
and every body is indicating that it should still work
any sug?
Thanx
toyotaspeed_90
a toyota code reader is $34.99 at checker/schucks/kragen (i know this.. i work for schucks and wonder why anyone would buy this)...

try resetting the ecu.... if the light comes back... then jump it and count the blinks....
djspike
how do you reset the ECU?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.