Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone changed the front speakers?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Interior/Audio/Electrical/Wiring
Tony-94
Has anyone changed the front speakers, what size where they (the old ones)? I know that some have fitted 6.5 inch with homemade mdf to fill the gap, but I know that I can get a proper 8 inch 3 ways that might fit better.
confused.gif
AudioFreak
The offical size is a 6 3/4". They used to be called 6 1/2S. But either way it's is pretty much just a 6 1/2" speaker with extended screw tabs. I had my door panels off the other day and getting an 8" in there would be possible but you would need to cut quite a bit of metal to do it.
Tony-94
Thanks, I reckon I'll stick with the 6.5 speakers. Don't want to start cutting the metal .
jontechie
Agree with pretty much what has been said.The front speaker unit is essentially a 6.5 " unit with about an inch or so of fixing plate around it. My one is a 2 way unit with a
pathetic 15watt rating, I think Fujitsu are the makers of
the factory standards. Anyway the MDF method may be the only way to go, its difficult to find a unit that is a perfect fit..
95STCelica
i am getting 6 3/4 polk 2 way speakers for the doors
FallenHero
Just get the alpine 6 3/4 components. They look great, and sound good from what I've heard.
AudioFreak
QUOTE (jontechie @ Feb 16, 2003 - 11:45 AM)
Anyway the MDF method may be the only way to go, its difficult to find a unit that is a perfect fit..

Acutally many companys are making 6 3/4" speakers now. Pioneer, Sony, Alpine, Polk and Kicker just to name a few. As long as it says 6 3/4" it should be a perfect fit. And if you really want some killer midbass Rockford makes a 6 3/4" subwoofer. I'll be putting a pair of them in the back stock locations with custom sealed fiberglass boxes behind them.
jontechie
QUOTE (AudioFreak @ Feb 16, 2003 - 11:58 PM)
QUOTE (jontechie @ Feb 16, 2003 - 11:45 AM)
Anyway the MDF method may be the only way to go, its difficult to find a unit that is a perfect fit..

Acutally many companys are making 6 3/4" speakers now. Pioneer, Sony, Alpine, Polk and Kicker just to name a few. As long as it says 6 3/4" it should be a perfect fit. And if you really want some killer midbass Rockford makes a 6 3/4" subwoofer. I'll be putting a pair of them in the back stock locations with custom sealed fiberglass boxes behind them.

Oki Doki, will check that out... tongue.gif
95STCelica
my Polks are in the mail
FallenHero
Don't flame me for this, but that Vette that I had the sony 5/7's in sounded like I had woofers. Maybe it's just because the way the vette was built(ie Great for audio) but they rocked!
Blackcelliman
I put in a pair of Boston Acoustics 6.5's in my doors. We had the problem of with fitting them perfectly. My and my friend work for Domino's Pizza and what we did is took a couple of dough trays and cut them to fit the speakers in the gap. We cut out a disk out of them so we could screw the speaker into in inner side of it and the other side would screw into the door. I've had it instaled for about 2 years now. and I've had absolutely no problems with it.
BillyBob
my speakers are blown. jus saturday i was thinkin bout replacin the speakers by the door with better ones.
FallenHero
You know you can get 5-1/2 to 5-3/4 adapters for like... two bucks right?
95STCelica
when i got 6 1/2" components (rockford)..they sent me adapters that were supposed to work...but did jack..if anyone wants them email me ill give them to u for free...hang them on the wall or something lol -- they can be usueful in some way im sure maybe a cup holder..i ended up selling the speakers to igotta5sfeturbo and getting cheaper polks instead on sale i needed the money anyway
Coomer
This may be of help: wink.gif

Installing 6.5" Components In the Front

Thanks to Makaveddie for this excellent how-to article. I just added it, along with a TRD QuickShifter Installation How-To that I wrote yesterday. biggrin.gif
Tony-94
I know someone who managed to fit 8inch 3 way Pioneers (TSA 2010) 350W speakers in the front without having the adapter plate. They reckoned they where a pretty decent fit .
Pictures :user posted image
user posted image
nicksceli
when i replaced mine i took the old speaker out and cut the metal right at the edge of the surrounding part. that way i had just the ring wothout the speaker. then i drilled holes to mount my speaker which were 6 1/2's before i attached the speaker to the metal i lined the metal with insulation take it think it was to prevent any rattle. then i just screwed it together and put it back in. worked great , no rattle at all and it was free. good luck with yours. if you want more detail let me know
95STCelica
i got my Polk speakers today in the mail, i will be installing them sometime this weekend, i will let you all know how it goes..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.