Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: celica easy to break into?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
blkGT
So i leave my car at taco bellf or two hours last night and someone pried the window open, ripped it out and stole my amp. a 650 dollar rockford 2400 watts. i bought it yesterday and was on my way home from work. she was gonna push my 3 r types. nothing police can do because i guess when you fingerprint cars it messes up the electrical system with the graphite. i am so pissed i just wanna cry, they basically took 650 dollars out of my hand. it was 6 hours old. it had to be someone i know because they didnt touch my 400 dollar valentine one radar detector or my 400 dollar panasonic cd player. they went straight to the amp. i hate ppl who do this.
JKceli
Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but as you stated, it could have been much worse. I agree that celica's are extremely easy to break into. The lack of a frame around the window makes it easy to pry open and pop the lock. The bright side is that it was $650 worth of stuff and not the $2000 worth of electronics that was actually in the car. Tough break man.
Consynx
if it was sitting out in the open...maybe they just noticed it was not planted and would take .1 seconds to grab.

but then again, if you know people like that...don't call them friends.
Supersprynt
Tinted windows help, although illegal, may be worth the few tickets you actually do recieve if you can protect the valuables.

And if i had a V1 radar detector, i'd definately be taking it off the window everytime i left the car.
Uppitycracker
There should be a death penalty for theft, I ****in hate wastes of life like that. Sorry about your loss man.

And they could have been in a hurry to get in and out, but your right, why break into a car if you dont have time to take the stereo, they must have known the amp was there. Where was it anyways? in your trunk? back seat? Thats why I dont mess with all that stereo crap, theres to many social parasites around.
x_itchy_b_x
yup i know that feeling all to well. sucks. why i bought an alarm.
forkee
QUOTE (x_itchy_b_x @ May 22, 2004 - 10:01 AM)
yup i know that feeling all to well. sucks. why i bought an alarm.

me too. and tinted my windows, hahaha.

but one time i locked my keys in the car and had to get the AAA guy to jimmy the door but he couldn't after a whole hour! confused.gif i dunno maybe cuz mine is munual instead of automatic, its harder to open?
shid
forkee- why the heck would that be an issue?

All I know is, I work hard at trying to make my car theftproof. My friggin HOOD is alarmed, and the entire inside of the car is EMPTY. not just clean, but empty. There's a spot for my radio- (which is bolted in the trunk) and thats it. The glove box is empty, the center console is empty-

this way I can leave the car with the top down.

but then, I'm putting a touchscreen monitor in there and stuff.. days of old are soon passing.
Magic
SHAME!!!I`m so sorry about you man,here at my island we dont have this kind of problems thats why you dont pay so much money for insurance but i think you have to keep your eye on your car wherever you are in your country! mad.gif
sinner96ST
don't load your car with $8,000 in stereo equipment, and this won't be a problem.

i don't mind having a nice system, but honestly, remember you will be taking the car out in public. here's exactly what happens :

1) you roll up bumping so people can hear it 200 feet away, in a nice car.
2) you exit the car
3) they walk over, and gank your ****

everyone i know with a nice stereo in their car = stolen within a year, or broken subs / blown amp.

i wouldn't go over a grand in stereo equipment for my car because of this very reason. stereo equipment is almost MEANT to be stolen. cause it always eventually does happen. i'm sorry for the loss. don't bump next time if you're gonna park somewhere, so people don't realize you have a system in the car. that's my advice.
blkGT
i know who did it. hes one of the only the only people who know i bought the amp, i have limo tint, it was under a pile of clothes and my car was parked facing the main road of my town. they popped the glass went straight to it and bailed.
shid
So, then he should still have it in his possession? He should have a financial record if he sold it. For the love of god man, tell the cops.

blkGT
i did, me and 2 friends all filled out police reports.
shid
and the police have done.. what?

use your citizen power man. get on their ass. tell them the property is going to disappear, and when they drag their asses and fail to recover it, threaten to take them to small claims to get the value of it back. They'll laugh, you'll tell them you mean it- they'd have to prove that even if they want after the property the next day it'd be gone.

or something. Just get on their ass! kill them! DESTROY! DESTROY!
Andason
QUOTE (blkGT @ May 22, 2004 - 10:17 AM)
nothing police can do because i guess when you fingerprint cars it messes up the electrical system with the graphite

Uhhhhhhh. The police got you good. Why would graphite mess up your electrical system? Thats why you unplug the battery. People weld on cars and the reason to unplug the battery when welding is so you dont mess around with the diodes in the alt. Why would graphite (pencil lead) mess up your cars electrical system????

lazy friggen cops
Uppitycracker
QUOTE (Andason @ May 22, 2004 - 1:30 PM)
nothing police can do because i guess when you fingerprint cars it messes up the electrical system with the graphite

Uhhhhhhh. The police got you good. Why would graphite mess up your electrical system? Thats why you unplug the battery. People weld on cars and the reason to unplug the battery when welding is so you dont mess around with the diodes in the alt. Why would graphite (pencil lead) mess up your cars electrical system????

lazy friggen cops

Well it could get into switches and what not and short them out or cause electrical problems. I agree it sounds like bs, and its not like they would catch the person anyways.
blkGT
are you friggin serious? he told me that if u wanna mess up someones car get graphite and blow it in there. it will mess up every elctromic it gets near and its attracted to them. he offered to fingerprint it, but warned me id sign a waiver first. so i said its ok.
Andason
QUOTE (blkGT @ May 22, 2004 - 2:59 PM)
are you friggin serious? he told me that if u wanna mess up someones car get graphite and blow it in there. it will mess up every elctromic it gets near and its attracted to them. he offered to fingerprint it, but warned me id sign a waiver first. so i said its ok.

why would a cop say that to you?
tim86
sad thread frown.gif hope this doesnt happen to my system... sorry to hear man
Hanyo
is there a way to keep people from popping our windows out?
KAMiX
It's pretty simply... don't park your car in alleyways or dodgy suburbs and make sure you have a tight alarm system. Most people learn the hard way.

Feel sorry for you blk... frown.gif I have been in similar situations where people I or friends have known have stolen ****, and you have no proof or evidence but you still know it.
Crzybakerdog
if you cant beat em join em and steal a nicer amp. j/k well maby, anyways ya celicas are easy to break into but well hidden alarms that cant be shut off are the best defense.
playr158
yea but really who pays attention to alarms anymore...nobody my friends have played around with my car while i was at work (at the mall..massive amounts of people) and nobody said a thing...they just keep walking.....no my friends didn't take anything except my valve stem caps for most the time or teepee the car but people don't pay attention.....
i say go to his house look for you stuff and if not found take his crap or break it
turboinduction
Alarm system is my only advice

I put one on just so people dont even think about getting near my car... gotta love the "BEEP BEEP" when you walk away. But hell, make sure you can always see your car or park hidden to others. I finally put my 19's on today and went to McDonalds. Came out to HICKS surrounding my car. Only one touched my rims... and he got a bonk in the head via my backhand. Now even I have to park hidden to others. Life of tuners.
Hanyo
problem is my car alarm siren is not loud enough.. i know its 120 db.. but when you are sandwiched between two suv's, the sound can't be heardl.. I'm thinking stobe light inside and outside of my car.
KAMiX
My point is, don't park your car in a massive mall carpark. That is asking for trouble. I only ever park my car at work (we have own carpark), at family and friends houses, and in outer-suburb areas that I frequent and can keep an eye on (like when window shopping etc - never for extended period of time). Like don't park ur car at the mall and see a movie - u are askin for trouble, park it at a friends house near the mall etc...

If you can't handle that then don't complain about getting it broken into, or get a less sexy car.
FAQdaWorld
QUOTE (blkGT @ May 22, 2004 - 11:17 AM)
So i leave my car at taco bellf or two hours last night and someone pried the window open, ripped it out and stole my amp. a 650 dollar rockford 2400 watts. i bought it yesterday and was on my way home from work. she was gonna push my 3 r types. nothing police can do because i guess when you fingerprint cars it messes up the electrical system with the graphite. i am so pissed i just wanna cry, they basically took 650 dollars out of my hand. it was 6 hours old. it had to be someone i know because they didnt touch my 400 dollar valentine one radar detector or my 400 dollar panasonic cd player. they went straight to the amp. i hate ppl who do this.

Sad thing is that isnt true about the fingerprinting crap. They are just too lazy to pull the prints off it, too much effort on their part. Same crap happened when all my car stereo stuff was stolen. Sucks dude, i feel your pain mad.gif
neoklis
Next time you want to blow some money on electronics, consider a good alarm with loud siren extra sensitive sensors etcand other optional things such as remote starter and stuff. And don't leave things out in the open. I have been considering an alarm fom day 1. I dont have any expensive thingsa in it yet but when i do i will be getting an alarm too.

my 2 cents, always get things with extra features (i.e. remote starter) so that you do not feel like your blowing your money
Digndoug
that sucks man.. Thats why when i got my car.. I put my system in.. Then i locked my keys in there.. an realized it takes like 30 sec to pop the lock.. I took it out.. An now have an alram.. witch cherps if you even brush up against it.. and its loud as fugg
Pali_playa
ok this is why u need a 2-way pager alarm sytem. there are hundreds of add ons to make you car hard to break into....to name a few, back up battery, proximity sensor, more than one shock sendor, level sensor(will sense if your car is jacked up). etc. futher more you NEED a 2-way b/c u wont hear ur alarm most of the time.
turboinduction
yea... what paliplaya said.. and what I meant. get a pager alarm and run like a bat outta hell when your keys start to buzz. My buddy has one and we keep in on valet mode. It wont go off until its actually broken into... but the keys will buzz if its brushed or bumped or someone is sticking stuff in the keyholes... etc. This way, if they are just fugging with the car, you can see them and they wont know about it. Like an AutoPage or Compustar.
Negative
I have that Toyota securikey alarm with a pin sensor in the hood and on all doors. If my car is jacked up it goes off, if you walk to close to it - it somehow knows and beeps at you twice. It's really a cool alarm - very sensitive - but it makes you carry a very ugly key with alarm remote built in.
Everything has it's drawbacks I suppose.
ParaNoiD
i found it a wiser choice to buy a good car alarm knowing that only the CD player in my car is worth 3 times that the alarm ...
its saved my ass atleast once biggrin.gif
Hanyo
how do you get the keyhole of the car to have a sensor. The problem i have with car alarms are loud trucks and hot rods, when they drive by my alarm goes off. The proxi sensor i have in my car is too sensitive and keeps going off when there is rain of fog.. does anyone know how to adjust those things?

ParaNoiD
Go to the supplier and get them to to change the settings of how sensitive the system is.
shid
Hanyo, what alarm do you have? Because I want it. smile.gif
Hanyo
QUOTE (ParaNoiD @ May 27, 2004 - 9:16 AM)
Go to the supplier and get them to to change the settings of how sensitive the system is.

I know how to adjust my alarm. and i dont have any problems with it, i haven't had any false alarms in 4 months.

I dont understand how other people can have such sensitive car alarms and not get false alarms. I have the option of seting my car alarm to the point where if someone sneezes near it it will give a warning chirp, but that is impractical.

Shid, just about any car alarm can have a proxi sensor option.. just ask your installer to add that option, the sensor its self is not that expencive. i believe its around 50 or so to add it.
celimanST
don't load your car with $8,000 in stereo equipment, and this won't be a problem.

i don't mind having a nice system, but honestly, remember you will be taking the car out in public. here's exactly what happens :

1) you roll up bumping so people can hear it 200 feet away, in a nice car.
2) you exit the car
3) they walk over, and gank your ****

everyone i know with a nice stereo in their car = stolen within a year, or broken subs / blown amp.

i wouldn't go over a grand in stereo equipment for my car because of this very reason. stereo equipment is almost MEANT to be stolen. cause it always eventually does happen. i'm sorry for the loss. don't bump next time if you're gonna park somewhere, so people don't realize you have a system in the car. that's my advice.

Damn skippie

I learned my lesson when I had my Bronco broken into $1500 is what I lost. That is not the worst part po-po was sitting in his car two cars away when it happened. Damn cops!!!!!!!!!!!!
CupCrazy38
QUOTE (Supersprynt @ May 22, 2004 - 9:57 AM)
Tinted windows help, although illegal, may be worth the few tickets you actually do recieve if you can protect the valuables.

And if i had a V1 radar detector, i'd definately be taking it off the window everytime i left the car.

I just don't see the point of radar detectors anymore, nor why you'd want to spend $400 on one. You'd be hard pressed to find a police department not equipped with laser these days. Radar detectors are being used less and less these days... just my opinion though.
CupCrazy38
QUOTE (shid @ May 22, 2004 - 12:03 PM)
and the police have done.. what?

use your citizen power man. get on their ass. tell them the property is going to disappear, and when they drag their asses and fail to recover it, threaten to take them to small claims to get the value of it back. They'll laugh, you'll tell them you mean it- they'd have to prove that even if they want after the property the next day it'd be gone.

or something. Just get on their ass! kill them! DESTROY! DESTROY!

There's nothing they can really do. A beat cop isn't going to be able to do anything, and a detective won't have the time.

Filling a report was smart, because now it's on record. If you can prove he took it, you'll have to take him to small claims court, not the police.
CupCrazy38
QUOTE (Andason @ May 22, 2004 - 1:30 PM)

lazy friggen cops

Fingerprinting = PR DUST smile.gif
blkGT
UPDATE: I GOT IT BACK.

long story short, the meth-head who i work with IS the one who took it i found out by mentioneing it to him. went to his house told him i was going to return it and id be back with 200 bux for him, he wouldnt let me take it, so i said i would go home and get the money and to meet me at work so I left, called my boss, told him he had to fire this kid be4 work tonight and was trying to decide what to do about the money. (calling the cops was out of the question this kid is a peice of sh!t and would never leave me alone) so my boss says i will lend it to you meet him here. so i show up and hes being arrested for possesion of stolen property. not to mention his beautiful collection of hyperdermic needles in his car. i about killed my boss but in the end i have to thank him, but thanks for the support guys. i will get a shot of my system with this bad boy now. (altho i am returning it and getting a new one because ive decided 3 subs and 3k watts is just unnessesary.)

CupCrazy - valentine one picks up laser. and the chances of a cop shooting you and only you with the laser is very unlikely so it will have time to go off. it has saved my ass many times.
celicarocker
awesome, glad to see the happy ending
CupCrazy38
QUOTE (blkGT @ May 28, 2004 - 2:50 PM)
UPDATE: I GOT IT BACK.

long story short, the meth-head who i work with IS the one who took it i found out by mentioneing it to him. went to his house told him i was going to return it and id be back with 200 bux for him, he wouldnt let me take it, so i said i would go home and get the money and to meet me at work so I left, called my boss, told him he had to fire this kid be4 work tonight and was trying to decide what to do about the money. (calling the cops was out of the question this kid is a peice of sh!t and would never leave me alone) so my boss says i will lend it to you meet him here. so i show up and hes being arrested for possesion of stolen property. not to mention his beautiful collection of hyperdermic needles in his car. i about killed my boss but in the end i have to thank him, but thanks for the support guys. i will get a shot of my system with this bad boy now. (altho i am returning it and getting a new one because ive decided 3 subs and 3k watts is just unnessesary.)

CupCrazy - valentine one picks up laser. and the chances of a cop shooting you and only you with the laser is very unlikely so it will have time to go off. it has saved my ass many times.

Congrats on getting your stuff back smile.gif Must feel sweet as h*ll.

As for the picking up laser... I'm not so sure. I've never heard of that system, so I can't say it doesn't... but I'd highly doubt it, though can't rule it out.

All I know about laser is that the cop picks out a target... places the beam on the car he wants, then pulls the trigger.

The only system I'm familiar with is the sytem that the police use here... which does single out specific cars and won't pick up another car. I've asked my dad and a few other cops I know how they catch people speeding and listened to their stories.

They'll sit on an overpass bridge over a freeway, pick out random cars, hit them with the laser, and if they're speeding, they'll radio ahead to a cruiser waiting just up the road. Then when the car passes the waiting cruiser, they get nailed. What happens is, people see the cruiser on the side of the road way back, so they slow down, not knowing that they were tagged about a mile or so back, long before they see the waiting cruiser.

Maybe other departments have different systems, but if they don't, maybe you've just gotten lucky and don't know about it, but maybe not.

If you know any cops see if you can test it... get them to tag you with it and see if you pick it up. The laser is the size of a pin dot... so I'd assume it'd be pretty tough to pick up, but I can't say it's impossible.

heck, that's how I found out my speedometer is off by 3-5mph depending on how fast I'm going smile.gif
Andason
so the kid said he had it and hed sell it back to you?
blkGT
QUOTE (Andason @ May 28, 2004 - 3:06 PM)
so the kid said he had it and hed sell it back to you?

no he claimed his "friend" said he stole it and traded it to his dealer for 2 grams of coke or something. and he could buy it back from the "dealer" for 160-200 depended on the quality of the drug. so all in all it was all BS and he took it.
wind
QUOTE (Hanyo @ May 23, 2004 - 1:34 AM)
is there a way to keep people from popping our windows out?

roll them down biggrin.gif
LoriAnn143
TRY A DUAL STAGE PROXIMITY SENSOR... I GOT THAT IN MY CAR. IT DETERS PEOPLE AWAY. AND IF YOU HAVE AN ALARM...MAKE SURE YOU GET A BACK UP BATTERY. IN CASE THEY TRY TOO CUT YOUR POWER SOURCE. AND A HOOD LOCK. THOSE ARE SOME SECURITY FEATURES I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT.

IT'LL ALSO MAKE YOUR CAR INSURANCE GO DOWN. biggrin.gif
Andason
QUOTE (LoriAnn143 @ May 28, 2004 - 5:36 PM)

IT'LL ALSO MAKE YOUR CAR INSURANCE GO DOWN. biggrin.gif

^_^ mine didnt and i paid 500 for my alarm.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.