Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V6 6gen Celica
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Punch
has anyone seen this done ???
I was told it was a very easy swap to make + that motor makes alot of tq & TRD also makes a super charger where you can get 9pounds or boost!
N/A-198HP
F/I-238HP
Uppitycracker
QUOTE (Punch @ May 26, 2004 - 11:16 PM)
has anyone seen this done ???
I was told it was a very easy swap to make + that motor makes alot of tq & TRD also makes a super charger where you can get 9pounds or boost!
N/A-198HP
F/I-238HP

What engine are we talking about here? And it really depends on the configuration and positioning of the engine. If its a inline 6 like a supra then like anyone here will tell you it probably isn't going to happen. If its a v6 then I dont see it being to much trouble.
aaronc222
It's the v6 from the mid-late 90's Camry/Solora. I've seen the writeup on the 5th gen that did the swap and they were very happy with it. Since then I've lost the page for it, but I'm pretty sure that it's someone on celica.net. I believe they said it was about the same price as a 3S swap.
Kwanza26
There's a lot of custom work involved... and you need to know what you're doing. There will be wire work, custom fabrication, and relocating some accesories. The TRD s/c most likely won't fit... the V6 is a fairly tight squeeze...

Engine code is 1MZFE btw... shares the same series tranny as the 3SG series...
Four
yeah it can be done and isnt super hard but isnt as easy as a 3s swap. search celica.net's forums to find out about it.

also some guys drop a v8 into a 5th gen alltrac converted it to RWD. o and they also twin turbo'd it.
wind
why waste the money and add the weight? just pop in a 3sgte.... it would still rape a v6 and v8 and save gas too
Mike
I've seen a v8 in a 5th gen
It was posted a while ago
Digndoug
Ie to have the power of the v6, being n/a an all... but for the hassle i would rather go with the 3s, also cause the wieght...
Kwanza26
QUOTE (Digndoug @ May 28, 2004 - 2:35 AM)
Ie to have the power of the v6, being n/a an all... but for the hassle i would rather go with the 3s, also cause the wieght...

FYI... the 3SGTE isn't much lighter than the 1MZFE. All alluminum...
boosted_K2
i wouldnt be surprised if the 1mzfe is actually lighter, do you have any info on that kwanza? id be very interested to see.

cast iron block + iron alloy head = very strong but very heavy.
Kwanza26
QUOTE (boosted_K2 @ May 28, 2004 - 5:33 AM)
i wouldnt be surprised if the 1mzfe is actually lighter, do you have any info on that kwanza? id be very interested to see.

cast iron block + iron alloy head = very strong but very heavy.

The only info I have is based on common sense... ;] I'm willing to guess it's actually lighter also... The only thing that makes it bigger, is it has 2 more cylinders, and has a slighty larger bore. All other components are actually smaller (shorter rods, smaller crank, etc...) What I do know is... the K20A2 weighs a lot less than a 7AFE... cause the K20A is all aluminum (all forged internals also).
creis
is it posible to drop a jetta VR6 in a 6th gen. that would be decent. 180hp, plus its hella light, i know a guy who put one in a cabiro, and its just rediculously fast. since i'm probibly stuck getting a new engen that is my first choice.
Digndoug
lmao .. firstould you even think about putting a vw engine in a toyota.. second off.. the v6 camry would be better anyways...
97GTinKC
QUOTE (creis @ May 28, 2004 - 1:46 PM)
is it posible to drop a jetta VR6 in a 6th gen. that would be decent. 180hp, plus its hella light, i know a guy who put one in a cabiro, and its just rediculously fast. since i'm probibly stuck getting a new engen that is my first choice.

Sure it can be done, the answer to that question is always yes, The correct question to ask is "How much time and money will it take to make it fit?" and the answer to that question should scare you in this case.
Jeremy1210
I talked to the Adrian(did the swap). he told me that it wasn't all that hard. He and his buddies did it himself and they aren't mechanics. He used a 97 solara engine. 200hp and torq. He also said it is lighter than the 3sgte b/c of the all aluminum. I think it cost him like 6 grand when all said and done.
RedSunCelica
QUOTE (Jeremy1210 @ Jun 2, 2004 - 7:50 PM)
I talked to the Adrian(did the swap). he told me that it wasn't all that hard. He and his buddies did it himself and they aren't mechanics. He used a 97 solara engine. 200hp and torq. He also said it is lighter than the 3sgte b/c of the all aluminum. I think it cost him like 6 grand when all said and done.

6 grand for a celica raper damn! thats actually worth it and with the light weight and low end torque that it makes itll be a nice drag car smile.gif
red_94gts
and the v6 will beat the 3sgte stock
Doge
QUOTE (red_94gts @ Jun 6, 2004 - 11:19 AM)

what is your reasoning with that?
Jeremy1210

Well the V6 adrian Used had 200hp and 200 lb/ft. I really think that it would be a very close race. Very driver dependent on outcome IMO.
Kwanza26
QUOTE (Jeremy1210 @ Jun 6, 2004 - 10:10 PM)
Well the V6 adrian Used had 200hp and 200 lb/ft. I really think that it would be a very close race. Very driver dependent on outcome IMO.

The 3SGTE has a much better torque/powerband...

FYI: V6 5 speed Camrys and Solaras are only clocked at mid-low 15's... with the Celica's weight... they's be a second faster at most...
Shigexile
hey, does the 3S-GTE need premium gas or can it run on regular?
Doge
premium for sure
Four
the guy who swapped a v6 into his celica said he KEEPED up with a new corvette.

where as me and sean who have done the 3sgte swap have both beat'n new vettes. not by alot but still, v6 keeps up, 3s pulls
neoklis
A 3.0l V6 would keep up but just barely. Actually I like V6 engines very much. My uncle (car dealer) is driving a 2.0l V6 Mitsu Diamante and the sound and torque are very nice. He also has a Lexus 2.5 V6 Fourcam (Not twin cam) and the car is unbelievable. Unfortunately in my country you need to pay $40,000 for custom duties for any car above 2.2l so you can see why the 2.0l cars is the only thing we can get. At least we can import directly from Japan. tongue.gif
red_94gts
QUOTE (Doge @ Jun 6, 2004 - 8:53 PM)

i dunnno what magazine it was but they threw the V6 into a turbo mr2.they tested the car before and after the swap and im pretty sure the v6 was faster.
Doge
QUOTE (red_94gts @ Jun 12, 2004 - 4:45 PM)

i dunnno what magazine it was but they threw the V6 into a turbo mr2.they tested the car before and after the swap and im pretty sure the v6 was faster.

Faster in what way? Slalom? 1/4?
Kwanza26
QUOTE (red_94gts @ Jun 12, 2004 - 11:45 PM)

It was in Turbo and Super Street I believe... and they dropped in a Supercharged 1mzfe... not an n/a one. Anyways... their goal was to slightly reduce ass-weight... which the SW2's had a lot of... Those performance magazines rarely specify performance ability anyways. I'll still say, the 3SGTE would be faster...
red_94gts
QUOTE (Kwanza26 @ Jun 13, 2004 - 1:04 AM)
QUOTE (red_94gts @ Jun 12, 2004 - 11:45 PM)

It was in Turbo and Super Street I believe... and they dropped in a Supercharged 1mzfe... not an n/a one. Anyways... their goal was to slightly reduce ass-weight... which the SW2's had a lot of... Those performance magazines rarely specify performance ability anyways. I'll still say, the 3SGTE would be faster...

mmm ok i thought it was n/a v6 i didnt think they threw the sc on it. my bad
ghostdog
1mz swap was in Sport Compact Car and I'm pretty sure it was sans supercharger
Seaney_55
well they had the swap in alot of magazines, but they twin charged the v6 in turbo magazine, the v6 was lighter, and they pitted the car against thier other mr2 turbo. the v6 had higher hp and of course more torque, but it still lost because they decided to use stock cams with the setup.. ps: they used it just turbo'd for the test because they were still having heating problems with the twincharging system..

honestly if they changed the cams the v6 would have beaten the tuned 3s. stock for stock they're about the same, 3s edges the 6 out, tuned, they both have about the same potential, i think they're both fun ideas smile.gif
playr158
ok well he swaped in a N/A engine right? and that keeps with a 3sgte
sooo if you supercharge it then bye bye 3s right?!
Jeremy1210
well accorind to what i have read, when the 1mze engine has the SC added the HP goes up to about 280
Seaney_55
QUOTE (playr158 @ Jun 15, 2004 - 5:16 AM)
ok well he swaped in a N/A engine right? and that keeps with a 3sgte
sooo if you supercharge it then bye bye 3s right?!

well, yeah, bye bye stock 3s, but who wants to keep thiers stock??
drdos
also the 3sgte sould be lighter, and all you gota do is increase the boost.

boost up!
DemoX
is there a 3.2 or 3.4L stroker kit for the V6 we are talking about?

or is there a 2.4L stroker for the 3S-GTE?
BEEFSTEW800
QUOTE (DemoX @ Jul 7, 2004 - 2:02 PM)
is there a 3.2 or 3.4L stroker kit for the V6 we are talking about?

or is there a 2.4L stroker for the 3S-GTE?

there is a 2.2L stroker for the 3sgte and i dont know if there is a stroker for the v6
Jeremy1210
also the 3sgte sould be lighter, and all you gota do is increase the boost.

The 1mzfe is all aluminum so the weight is about even.
audiophile24
v-6 in my expeirinces are hard to work on and dont rev very high without something breaking i had a 91 maxima with a vg30dett swap done i think the car must have set me back a lot i lost count after like seven grand and three trannies and two thrown rods later....i got rid of the car she was fast but hard to keep running i think toyota v6 would be about the same and why even swap if you cant drive it hard? i just think four cylinders are a little more reliable and easier to work with just my .02.
FallenHero
this is still apples and oranges... the 1MZFE is not a performance engine. It's an econoblock(boat anchor) just like the 7afe and 5sfe. the 3sgte is a performance engine. it's obviously going to be stronger.
DemoX
can't the V6 be rebuilt to a performance engine?
rev. a little higher, put out some more power stock, etc.?
Jeremy1210
if the 1mzfe wasn't a performance engine, why would TRD make a supercharger for it? obviously its made to handle higher HP and torq
FallenHero
yes, but that will take more money. with that same money you could upgrade the turbo on the 3sgte and make FAR more power than a re-built 1mz
SlowCelica94
yeah I do the swap. It was easy, I did it in a weekend
Jeremy1210
yeah I do the swap. It was easy, I did it in a weekend

You did what swap?
SlowCelica94
hasn't everyone?
Punch
any one has a pic or a link with a V6 in a 6gen???
Jeremy1210
I don't think its been done in a 6gc.. i know 5gc has it done
Manta5x
hmm this all has been very interesting
I have a 94 gt automatic, 5sfe with over 200,000 miles with a crack in it that only leaks oil when I'm driving. When it kicks the bucket I will most definately look in to a v6 swap. I'm not into racing so I dont want that much more power but more than what the 5sfe gave me for the last 10 years.
shid
Than why don't you look into a 3sgte swap instead of these V6 pipe dreams?
Punch
if you have an auto GT a V6 swap would be best
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.