Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tried higher octane tonight...
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
shid
Since I got the car, I've always put 87 octane fuel in it... and with the gas crises, it seems like it will NEVER be cheap enough to fill her up with 91 fuel. But today I was out of town (In San Dimas) and out of gas (err,, 1/8th below E) and I pass a gas station. Gas for 91 is at - 1 cent more expensive than gas for 87 at my house. Well I thought, screw it.

So I filled her up at 91

A lot of you have been saying that it doesn't make a difference, etc etc.

Well it does. I'm not talking about mythical horsepower gains- I doubt I got any.

But the car starts up smoother, idles better, and goes through it's RPMs like a hot knife through butter. It feels wonderful. Right now she's outside cooling off with a tankful of 91, and I like her that way.

mmmm

--Sean

and I put it on Daddy's credit card. BWAHAHAHHA
95STHATCH
i agree completely.
Supersprynt
I boosted my 93 up to 104...
Magic
Hmmm i`m using 98 octane fuel but we are waiting for the 100 octane to come very soon:)
Negative
Shid is correct as I've argued before. I have to use the best gas or I get knocking (with the lowest grade only). This is not indicative of something wrong in my engine - as other people on here are always claiming. My engine is only now at 50K and has been babied. Supplied with the good fuel it runs perfectly. It probably doesn't boost horsepower but it definetly has an effect on overall performance including idle.
Supersprynt
We just lost 94 here, i am pissed.
sphinx
i'm pissed cause you people get gas over 91 octane.

That's all they offer us here in Cali.

Digndoug
Ive tried it in the celi... didnt do anything nopre feel like or sound like any better.... I did the same in my bimmer 87- 91... she did seam to run even smoother.. and accel better... but that was also because it required it.. an i didnt know..
Hym3n
93 all the way. I'd like to just do 91 because of $$$, but I can't find it anywhere. So.. $2.15/gallon for me! Eh, at least it's not as bad as California... or the UK :)

-brian
97GTinKC
Yep, says right in the owners manual (for GT only) "for best performance, use premium fuel 91 octane or higher" or something like that, and no, it WONT help an ST, the compression ratio is too low for it to make a difference. The GT has a higher compression ratio, so it can take advantage of the higher octane, the computer wont retard the timing as much,,,
FallenHero
we have 100 octane down here at a chevron. smile.gif
shid
yeah, I'll be trying that next. My local 76 offers 100 octane.
Sev408
i have diesel biggrin.gif
ice23q
we can buy 110 octain race fuel from the gas stations in australia...in good cold
nights with a tank of that in.....Its niiiiiccccceeee....

i run 98 in my car all the time as fuel is so cheep here....$0.95 per ltr.. smile.gif
fastgt
we can buy 110 octain race fuel from the gas stations in australia...in good cold
nights with a tank of that in.....Its niiiiiccccceeee....

i run 98 in my car all the time as fuel is so cheep here....$0.95 per ltr..

i think i speak for all californians when i say i hate you!
chucho
one gallon is a little over 3Ltrs, i believe, which would make it close to 3.00s a gallon
bufferdan
my ST needs 93..that way it will feel like a gt4! I actually notice a difference in my 3000GT when i go from 89 to 93...it runs smoother...cant tell about the performance though.
redtcel
QUOTE (Hym3n @ Jun 5, 2004 - 3:59 AM)
93 all the way. I'd like to just do 91 because of $$$, but I can't find it anywhere. So.. $2.15/gallon for me! Eh, at least it's not as bad as California... or the UK smile.gif

-brian

if i could get even 91 for 2.15 i would get it every day. haha. our 87 is $2.33 i am spending a butt load on gas.
LatinKraze
I got a $65 dollar bonus yesterday from work so, imma fill up with 91 octane once again!!! Muahahhahahhahahahaahhaha.......ha.
Tweek
I like putting the 93 in (around 2.35ish, criminal), after adding a bottle of octane booster! I don't know what the puts it at, but my car likes it. Also, I have noticed on the Turnpikes in Penn and Ohio you can get 94 octane.
Negative
This is probably going to piss some of you off but Supreme at Chevron and Exxon (the only places i'll fill up) is barely over $2.00 here in Houston, Texas. wink.gif But we get stuck with the most stringent emissions requirements in the country due to the fact that we refine most of the country's gas here. So I'm up for another illegal inspection this month. There goes another $75.00 I would rather put in my engine. mad.gif
ice23q
how much is bloody fuel in the U.S.????? confused.gif sounds like it a wod from the rear pocket to fill your cars..????... our 98 octain has just gone up to $0.99/ltr....
KAMiX
one gallon is a little over 3Ltrs, i believe, which would make it close to 3.00s a gallon

Yes $1 AUD per Litre = $3 AUD per gallon = $2 USD per gallon so it's not that much different (except that is the price for BP98 most of the time). I've never heard of 110 octance fuel at Aussie petrol pumps... but I know you can get hooked up with aviation fuel at some of the Airports (including my local one biggrin.gif)
mmorg3053
Try £0.90 for a litre of 98octane in the UK. More expensive the further south you go and on motorway service stations, sometimes over £1.
tufy
1 galloon is 4.5 liters.
how much octane is recomended for our cars?
i know that my car's ecu is remapped by mines for 100 octan in japan.
do you think guys changing fuel needs remappin?
KAMiX
I just checked & 1 US gallon = 3.785 liters, 1 UK gallon = 4.546 litres. Can't you all just switch to the metric system plz? It's Soo easy to count in!

In answer to your question: Maybe. If your timing has been changed you could get some knocking with crappier fuels. Just checked your profile and doesn't look like you have any internal mods so your compression should be fairly stock.

I really dunno as your car is pretty modified (damn nice btw, first time I've spotted it!) so it would be better if a 3s-gte experienced person answerd 4 ya. I do know that a lot of imports around here with jap ECU's in them suffer unless run on BP98 (main high octane fuel we have over here). I would say turn the boost down low and chuck some unleaded pump fuel in there (not sure of what ratings you guys have over there) and see how she runs. If it's ok keep upping the boost and look out for knocking.

If it was my car, I wouldn't go too far below 98/100, in fact I would run as high octane as I could get my hands on to keep her healthy (I would also try to park her in my bedroom, but that's just me biggrin.gif).
97GTinKC
Also remember the US uses the R+M/2 method to calculate octane, (research + mechanical octane divided by 2) so our 91 is approximately other place's 98 rating

...and the price on 91 oct. has dropped back to $1.93 US dollars for 1 US gallon,,,
Hym3n
Yeah, I just went in search of cheapest 93 octane in my area.. $1.999! W00000T!

-brian
KAMiX
Yeah sorry I was referring to 98RON.
Phat_Boi
$1.83 down here biggrin.gif
Exile04
Wow u guys are luck the highest octane i can find is 92 and thats about 2.30 avg the lowest it 87 and that 2.10 about
Drocay
super here is now 1.93 woot.
Exile04
Damn east cost
Akimbo
I run on 89, gas soared back up now...
Eddo456
yeah here in tampa, on the air force base the 93 premium is only 2.02 per gal, so i take advantage of it when i can.
ParaNoiD
we have 95 oct - 98 oct and 100 oct here ... i just use 95 smile.gif
shid
Eddo, DIEEEEE tongue.gif

Paranoid, we rategas differently here- so our 91 is your 98
KAMiX
This should up the differences a bit. Close shid but a little off biggrin.gif

RON = tested at 600rpm (Australia/UK & Japan I think)
MON = tested at 900rpm
PON = average of both (USA)

RON MON PON
90 83 86.6
92 85 88.5
95 87 91
96 88 92
98 90 94
100 91.5 95.8
105 95 100
110 99 104.5

By the way.. Even though RON is supposed to be "research tested" and MON "mechanically tested" both ratings are actually tested at low rpms in a real engine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.