Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flowmaster 40 series
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
titaniumkid
has anybody heard how a flowmaster 40 series sounds on a 6gc, or any similar car?
3FingersCelica
There are a few cars on this site with a 40 series and they say its pretty loud. I put a 60 series on mine.
Akimbo
hows the 60
3FingersCelica
I love it, its not nearly as loud as the 40, you don't lose any low end power like with the 40. I wouldn't suggest the 40 unless you have at least a v6.
Kwanza26
QUOTE (3FingersCelica @ Jun 5, 2004 - 8:31 PM)
I love it, its not nearly as loud as the 40, you don't lose any low end power like with the 40. I wouldn't suggest the 40 unless you have at least a v6.

Why not? They're designed for street/strip...

I had a 40 series on my AE86 with a glasspack. Sounded very good... considering I also had some rust leakson the exhaust manifold. I can possibly provide a video /w sound if you're interested.
TRDDawg
QUOTE (3FingersCelica @ Jun 5, 2004 - 3:31 PM)

How did u get the 60 series for?
3FingersCelica
I paid $80, plus shipping from Texas.
titaniumkid
yeah! i was hopin somebody would have a sound clip
Defgeph
I have the 40 on my car, I've had it for like 2 years. It sounds great and you do not lose any low end power with it. people always ask about my muffler. I have a video but with no way to get it in my computer.

I would say def get the 40 you'll love the way it sounds
DEF
titaniumkid
QUOTE (defgeph @ Jun 7, 2004 - 3:55 AM)
I have the 40 on my car, I've had it for like 2 years. It sounds great and you do not lose any low end power with it. people always ask about my muffler. I have a video but with no way to get it in my computer.

I would say def get the 40 you'll love the way it sounds
DEF

how do you have the exhaust coming out? the outlet tip has been welded on/off before, kinda looks ghetto
Defgeph
QUOTE (titaniumkid @ Jun 7, 2004 - 1:02 AM)
how do you have the exhaust coming out? the outlet tip has been welded on/off before, kinda looks ghetto

I dont uderstand what you mean about the outlet .....
A flowmaster has no welds on the outlet or the inlet. the only welds are the the shell of the muffler.

I intsalled it myself right where the stock muffler was and I put a bolt on chrome tip.(2years ago) Now, I have it without a tip .... it looks more stock that way.
still looks good.

later
def
Kwanza26
Soundclip here... It was from inside the car... acclerating from a 10mph roll to 80mph. Can't really hear the muffler, mostly engine... but gives a general idea. Remember also... mine is glassed before the muffler, so it's definately nowhere near as loud as just a muffler.

Sound Clip Here
TRDDawg
QUOTE (Kwanza26 @ Jun 7, 2004 - 3:50 AM)
Soundclip here... It was from inside the car... acclerating from a 10mph roll to 80mph. Can't really hear the muffler, mostly engine... but gives a general idea. Remember also... mine is glassed before the muffler, so it's definately nowhere near as loud as just a muffler.

Sound Clip Here

nice sound clip, so u have the flowmaster 40 with a glass pack as a resonator?
Kwanza26
QUOTE (TRDDawg @ Jun 7, 2004 - 4:13 PM)

Yeah... on my AE86...
Defgeph
Nice clip ! I would say on my st its a little less throaty, but very similar.
Kwanza what did you use to record that ? May I can make a sound clip of mine.
Kwanza26
QUOTE (defgeph @ Jun 8, 2004 - 5:08 AM)
Nice clip ! I would say on my st its a little less throaty, but very similar.
Kwanza what did you use to record that ? May I can make a sound clip of mine.

Yeah... the 4AGs are considerably louder than 7AFEs. It was actually sound ripped off of a movie clip I took. I have some of my Celica and my MR2 also... I ripped the sound off of the movie with Quicktime Pro. I'm sure there are windows programs that can do that also...
creis
my friend has it on his zx2, and it sounds horrible, nothing but pure rice, and it rattles so bad that its just a joke. kinda funny because everyone who hears it thinks he has some crazy s**t under his hood.
Negative
The best sounding exhaust I ever owned was on my '86 GTS with a hole in the stock muffler's rear wall. Sounded deep and loud - lol.
TRDDawg
QUOTE (creis @ Jun 8, 2004 - 5:09 PM)
my friend has it on his zx2, and it sounds horrible, nothing but pure rice, and it rattles so bad that its just a joke. kinda funny because everyone who hears it thinks he has some crazy s**t under his hood.

why does it rattle did he install it himself?
Jaws4God
QUOTE (Kwanza26 @ Jun 8, 2004 - 4:20 AM)
QUOTE (TRDDawg @ Jun 7, 2004 - 4:13 PM)

Yeah... on my AE86...

so you have a glass pack as the resonator? will that pass inspection? how much did it cost? Would that add sound to my setup with a stock exhaust with an Arospeed Muffler?

Drive By 0-35 mph
Kwanza26
QUOTE (Jaws4God @ Jun 9, 2004 - 4:59 AM)
so you have a glass pack as the resonator? will that pass inspection? how much did it cost? Would that add sound to my setup with a stock exhaust with an Arospeed Muffler?

Yes... didn't I say that? Heh. In California... no one will care less about the glass pack so long as you have a cat down there somewhere and it's not too loud. Same will probably be in NC. As for adding it to your set-up... it'll change the tone. The reason I glass my exhausts is because I don't like my cars really really loud at low throttle. The glass pack will significantly make quieter your exhaust in the low throttle mid throttle range. When you gun it, it'll still growl a bit... but it won't buzz or anything bad like that (bad IMO... some people like it). I personally have custom built exhausts for both cars (2.25 in glassed to some sort of straight flow muffler) and IMO, both my Celica and my Trueno sound really good. They sound very mild at low throttle, then they sound quite agressive at full throttle. I can put up a clip of my celica also if you're all interested.

user posted image

This picture shows the exhaust set-up on the last trueno. Pretty basic... high-flow cat, glass pack, 2.25 in piping, to a flowmaster 40 series. Glass packs or cherry bombs usually aren't that expensive... say 25-30 dollars. Installing it depends on the shop. I did my Celica myself and had my muffler guy do my Trueno... all for 200 bucks.
Jaws4God
I would love to hear a sound clip. I like the way my arospeed muffler sounds, but it just isn't as loud as I really wanted it to be. I don't want to sacrifice the sound at its current volume to get some buzz sound that you hear on these Civics and all. I would just like my sound now to be amplified a little.
You can hear what is sounds like on my website.

My Celica Webpage
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.