Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NEW Cold Air Intake Design!
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Kwanza26
So I had to smog my car, and took everything off a while ago... and just recently, I reinstalled my CAI.

user posted image

As you can see, it's different than typical custom CAI which follow Spedtoe's version, but this works also. There's a little bit of rattle underload, which almost sounds like a stock BOV (unintentional) but overall... neat. It goes into the hole under the fusebox and sits in the same place as the DR CAI design, but it doesn't travel down by the tranny, which IMO, keeps the piping a lot cooler. Overall... it works all the same... but it's something different and something possible for a GT.

user posted image

If there is a local member around here with a GT that would like to test-fit and possibly have built for them, a custom GT CAI... contact me and we shall see. ;]
Akimbo
if we lived close you could have mine to test. i want a cold air pretty bad. but short rams sound better
Digndoug
Sorry to break it to ya.. but thats kinda old news... I did that with mine. about year ago.. also.. It works fine with a 92-95 civic one.. get it from ebay iyts cheap.. but i get a lot of rattlein still havnt made a moun for it..
OrbitalGT95
HOW did u fit an air filter in that small hole..i just put a cai on my celi and ran it down under the engine colant. when i took the fuse boxs off i was like ****..my left nut is bigger then that hole..however u did it..props man....let me in on the secret
ssnake86
how does a CAI sound opposed to a short ram? i just got a custom CAI made by our very own 95celgt. Very nice, took a while to get it, but i will defiantly say it was worth it. I just hope it doesnt sound bad, why does a short ram sound better then a CAI. CAI just alot louder?
Digndoug
I was going to say, mine is loud as sheaznit.. The thign just growls.. also when i i have a cold start up.. It sounds like a vacum.. real cool sound. Also.. what i did for mine.. was run the pipe.. then pull off the plastic underneath.. then put the filter on.. it was a pain cause the tight space.. but worked nice.. besides the clankin
Kwanza26
Sounds like a running toilet at idle... but growls nicely undre throttle. This design should work on GT's also.

Sorry digndoug... this was new news to me and many others here I'm sure... just sharing the wealth with pictures... ;]
FallenHero
did you just make this Kwanza?
Kwanza26
QUOTE (FallenHero @ Jun 13, 2004 - 8:24 PM)

Yeah... fairly recently...
operative
Kwanza can i have the blueprints?
Measurements for the parts and other useful information.

Im gonna build one to try it out.

Thanks
FallenHero
QUOTE (Kwanza26 @ Jun 13, 2004 - 2:30 PM)
QUOTE (FallenHero @ Jun 13, 2004 - 8:24 PM)

Yeah... fairly recently...

what would it cost me to have you get me the pipes and fittings? I'll get a filter on my own. I figure this would work great with a FMIC, so I wouldn't be loosing money in the future to get one made. wink.gif

Jon
Kwanza26
QUOTE (FallenHero @ Jun 14, 2004 - 4:02 AM)
what would it cost me to have you get me the pipes and fittings? I'll get a filter on my own. I figure this would work great with a FMIC, so I wouldn't be loosing money in the future to get one made. wink.gif

Jon

I'll try to do some measurements and draw up some diagrams... that'll make it easier for everybody... ;]
Hanyo
bump!!

hehe.. old thread, but its just what i was looking for..

did you have to move your fusebox to get the piping in there?
Digndoug
QUOTE(Hanyo @ Jan 18, 2005 - 3:41 PM)
bump!!

hehe.. old thread, but its just what i was looking for..

did you have to move your fusebox to get the piping in there?
[right][snapback]235115[/snapback][/right]

Well sence i have a similar but not exact il help a lil. I had to un-bolt mine and move it out like 2 inches then just used a self tapeing metal screw to hold it, so its not moving around, but never had a problem. But mine still rattles when i hit a bump, I ends up hittinh which i found out a peace sticking out fromt eh frame-design It gets kinda annoing, but i dontpay attention to it, but every one asks if my cars is going to make it or fall apart when they here it.. haha
playr158
oh and what i've discovered and pretty sure works
is the 2000 hyundia tiburon intake will work on the celica with a short 6-8" piece and sounds AMAZING
and its AEM
red, blue, silver powerder coated ect.....
BLINKYxMUNKEY
Cool air intakes sound so sweet. but when the car is cold and warming up, it sounds like a vacuum like said before. but it really does growl when you accelerate.
Hanyo
QUOTE(playr158 @ Jan 18, 2005 - 7:41 PM)
oh and what i've discovered and pretty sure works
is the 2000 hyundia tiburon intake will work on the celica with a short 6-8" piece and sounds AMAZING
and its AEM
red, blue, silver powerder coated ect.....
[right][snapback]235374[/snapback][/right]

hmm does it have a carb sticker on it?

playr158
yea the hiss is from a cold start nothing wrong with it MOST CAI do make that sound..........

and its cool when people look and go huh?
and then there is no toilet bowl flush
just a nice lil growl
but i suggest 3" piping the whole way with a 3" to 2.5" adapter
for the best sound quality and performance (just look at the AEMs)
ArizonaRed
didn't someone take out a left highbeam and use that for a CAI? whos car was that?
playr158
oh don't do that please looks so ghetto
and looks like you can't aford a 4th light wink.gif

why do you need a carb sticker?
all AEM intakes are street legal are they not?
6GGT
wow AEM for celi.....If i am positive thsi would fit, i would deff purchase...

Today i was thinkin and i started wondering.........would u get more performance out of an intake that lets say extended out straight through your engine bay and to ur z3 fender; and you made a costum vent thru the fender for the intake,....... so as u accelerate, more and more air gets into the intake equalling more power??? its just a thought
Hanyo
in california.. all modifications to the engine that does not meet factory specifcations are illegal. If i get an AEM intake that has a carb sticker on it. I do not have to worry about smog station or cops giving me trouble.
thedevilmaycrie
it was shadycrew that had his like that...However he was selling it

-DMC
Hanyo
QUOTE(6GGT @ Jan 21, 2005 - 3:49 PM)
wow AEM for celi.....If i am positive thsi would fit, i would deff purchase...

Today i was thinkin and i started wondering.........would u get more performance out of an intake that lets say extended out straight through your engine bay and to ur z3 fender; and you made a costum vent thru the fender for the intake,....... so as u accelerate, more and more air gets into the intake equalling more power??? its just a thought
[right][snapback]236594[/snapback][/right]

your thinking about a ram air intake design. I have read somewhere that ram air intakes do not work. You will not get additional pressure in your intake. Another thing you have to worry about is pipe length. If your pipe length is too long then it will hinder performance rather then increasing it. You would have to cut threw alot of metal to get the air filter to connect to the z fender vent. Probably better off doing a shaker hood scoop..
playr158
well the z3 vent is backwards
so i VENTS air
its not a SCOOP which brings in air
its bettere to run the intake to the front of the car..

ram air hurt the car cause its just sucking in the hot engine bay air
CAI is always better
so front of the car is always better
Drocay
hek my short ram with K&N filter sounds like a a vacuum.
urbandork
Umm i used a 93 accord set up and it came out looking just like urs. I did mine for about 20 bucks just parts and on my celica it only consists of two peices of pipe.

I currrently have sold my first set up and put in another set up the same exact way just with a powder coated vs. the polished set of pipes i first had.

I dont have any rattling at all.

Pix of the polished one is in my profile however the one im running now is powder coated sparkly gray and currently has an AEM bypass valve on it. As well as the CARB sticker from the bypass that came with it.
Akimbo
is that intake actually getting fresh air though or just circulating? It looks like a short ram just...longer. What's it sound like?
urbandork
QUOTE(Akimbo @ Jan 22, 2005 - 7:46 PM)
is that intake actually getting fresh air though or just circulating? It looks like a short ram just...longer. What's it sound like?
[right][snapback]236848[/snapback][/right]

was that a question for me?

If so yes it is getting fresh air. There is actually a scoop where the fog light would be on my 95 that feeds fresh air right into where the filter element is. In fact the filter can actually be seen at the right angle.

(keep in mind i have a 95. i dont know if the bumpers on the 96+ had this set up however if it didnt then a scoop from the bottom can be made althought its not really nessasary)

As for it being a longer short ram yes its basically that just like most of the cai systems from larger companies they are all short rams with a cai set of pipes on it. The design i used has the pipe coming off the throtle body at an angle and then a longer peice that reaches to the hole the stock airbox resignator is routed. That same peice has an angle in it that makes its way down that hole this is where the filter elment sits.

Ive sent a pm to Coomer asking if i could get together a how to. However there is a thread posted when i first did the cai on my gt. BTW the project only costed me about 30 bucks or so.

opps forgot that last question.

It sounds awesome. CAI is the next best thing to a BOV sound IMHO. Im not even running exahust and my car sounds fairly loud and deep.

Just as a note the one pictured in my profile is the first one i put in the new one has better cuts done on it, powder coated, and has a bypass valve on it. Again the second time i did it i spent jsut a little under 40 for everthing.
Hanyo
hoe did you get such low production cost.. i cant even but the mandrel bent piping for 30 bucks....
funnyboy117
QUOTE(Hanyo @ Jan 22, 2005 - 3:08 PM)
hoe did you get such low production cost.. i cant even but the mandrel bent piping for 30 bucks....
[right][snapback]236899[/snapback][/right]

yeah and doesn't the bypass valve cost like 30-40 bucks?
Akimbo
urbandork, definately get a how-to smile.gif hint Coomer, hint. Did you relocate anything?
urbandork
yeah the bypass valve is 35 to 45 bucks for that ur on ur own. However for just the pipes and the filter it is about 30 to 40 bucks depending on where you get it from. Its super cheap on ebay i actually checked for this guy who asked about it and found someone selling it for like 10 bucks its was halarious.

We neeed "powered by ebay" stickers for some of our cars (props goes out to shady for that one.)

as for the how to ive spoken to Coomer already and i should have one up by the end of this week or the mid of next.

1900WattCelica
QUOTE(ArizonaRed @ Jan 21, 2005 - 6:46 AM)
didn't someone take out a left highbeam and use that for a CAI? whos car was that?
[right][snapback]236404[/snapback][/right]

How to
playr158
my K&n cost me 50$

but i'll stick with the more perfessional look of the tib 00' intake
Akimbo
bump for the how-to
StaticKnotX
Does the 00 tiburon CAI really work on 96 Celica STs?
Hanyo
QUOTE(playr158 @ Jan 24, 2005 - 1:59 PM)
my K&n cost me 50$

but i'll stick with the more perfessional look of the tib 00' intake
[right][snapback]237744[/snapback][/right]

can you post a picture of your intake.. i dont see how it can look more professional in comparison to the custom made ones.
playr158
umm how does it compare?

Powder coating in 3 different colors
SOLID TUBING only 2-3 silcone connectors(1 at the intake manifold 2 to connect the custom middle pipe(the tib has a MAF based motor so you need ruffly 6-8" piece to go inbetween and the rest is solid till you get to the filter where that bolts directly to the intake)) and it COMES with a K&n filter(imo best on the market)
it has an AEM emblem on it!

i'll get pics later i don't have one now but when i have time i'll use my friend's for a mock up

as i am stating this will need 1 small piece which if i can i'll run a GB for the intake once i am 100% sure of compatability then i'll make the needed custom piece and include that in the package

but AEM vs home made?
AEM pawns home
why? cause it has a real design and testing behind it
Hanyo
Thanks alot playr158,

One last question.... you tell me what tib 00 intake you used? v6 or the 4 banger verson?

and a group buy would be amazing.. biggrin.gif
Akimbo
Pipe is pipe. You're paying for a name. It's all about location and a filter.
playr158
pipe actually isn't just pipe wink.gif
its about length, diameter, curves and such

all that factors in....my DYI intake won't pull as much as the AEM...why?
the connections(rubber cuplinks) made the flow crappy
AEM has SOLID PIPE which is smoooth the whole way through which means better flow
the diameter is designed for optimum performance
and length has a great deal to do with it also
Akimbo
Well lucky for you and the AEM then smile.gif But I need more info on his project because GT's are different.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.