Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 99 celica GT VS. 00(+) celica gts
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
xxxtrem_18
do you think a 99 celica would take a 00+ celica gts?
saleeka
mabey up through second gear... after that the GT-S would own you...
Phat_Boi
QUOTE (xxxtrem_18 @ Jun 16, 2004 - 3:13 AM)
do you think a 99 celica would take a 00+ celica gts?

With NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWZ!

Nope, a GT would be a match for a newer GT sort of, then you would probably get owned. I dunno, I can own 7th gen GT-S easily in my car but thats cuz the only 4 down here are all automatics and the kids think their cheap parts add 100 hp rolleyes.gif
shid
a 6th gen GT will easily beat a 7th gen GT.. but a GT-S.. they have bad turbo lag.. and maybe if you combine that with an automatic trans...
Phat_Boi
I think you mean lift?

I've seen one GT-S that used lift through all 6 gears and he was actually keeping up and was next to my rear quarter panel. Lift is actually badass on a GT-S and can screw some faster cars.

Dunno about the GT thing, their nothing against me but if a 6th gen GT can beat a 7th gen then thats cool.
CelicaFanatic
QUOTE (shid @ Jun 16, 2004 - 3:19 AM)
a 6th gen GT will easily beat a 7th gen GT.. but a GT-S.. they have bad turbo lag.. and maybe if you combine that with an automatic trans...

GT-S is not turbo'ed so what turbo lag? and yes the GT-S would own your 6gc GT. i have one sitting outside and it was pretty quick with the AC on full blast.
Phat_Boi
QUOTE (CelicaFanatic @ Jun 16, 2004 - 3:51 AM)
QUOTE (shid @ Jun 16, 2004 - 3:19 AM)

GT-S is not turbo'ed so what turbo lag? and yes the GT-S would own your 6gc GT. i have one sitting outside and it was pretty quick with the AC on full blast.

What does the A/C have to do with anything? You lose that .000000000001 HP with having it on rolleyes.gif
sinner96ST
a 00 GT-S will spank your ass, for sure. If the driver is competent enough..

if it is an automatic GT-S, you may be able to not get your ass handed to you so badly. auto gt-s's are slow as hell, because lift engages at 6000rpm & above. no amount of good driving can make up for that problem. they have to mash the pedal and pray for the best.

i'd try it out. if they have a 6 speed, and know how to stay in lift, you won't stand a chance. good luck.
FallenHero
yea... new GTS=own your mom. with about two grand= own your grandmom. smile.gif
spunky393
An auto GT-S was no problem for me, and i test drove a TRD edition GT 5 spd. I don't think i have ever been more dissapointed with a Toyo in my life.
Hanyo
QUOTE (Phat_Boi @ Jun 16, 2004 - 4:24 AM)
What does the A/C have to do with anything? You lose that .000000000001 HP with having it on rolleyes.gif

actually a/c affects the HP alot.

that is why some people remove the compressor pump to free up some more HP. if a/c did affect performance the under driven pully system would be less popular.
neoklis
Correct, the A/C surely affects the hp.
The U.S. GT though is really so slow that there is no contest with the 7gen GT-S. The SS-III with the Beams engine would give the GT-S a hard time but i am not sure if it would win as i think the GT-S is prolly lighter and if 6-speed then it may also have better transmission changes.
Magic
I think the GT-S will win the race.
I agree with Neoklis about the weight,now about the SSIII VS GT-S it is a drivers fight and i think that if the SSIII have a good lounch then it will keep at the end.
boosted_K2
7th gen no questions asked, ive driven both, that GTS screams, my girlfriend should be getting hers here real soon.
JWalk1818
My 99 GT would own a stock GTS rolleyes.gif wink.gif
Crzybakerdog
a manuel 00 gts would severely destroy a manuel 99 6 gen. i guess a turboed 99 would give it a run for its money. i would guess though that even a auto vs auto the gts would still win with or without the vvti kicking in.
shid
A turbos 99 would win- our engines start out bigger than the wimpy 130 hp matrix. booo matrix engine
greenwindwill
HEY!!! I HAVE A MATRIX!!! = ( an XRS though... = )
OOBE
The Matrix XRS in P.R. get better quarter mile times than the GT-S. But they're heavier, right? Shouldn't they be slower?
FallenHero
who knows. there are guys with gts' hitting low 14's to 13's spending less money than it would take me to turbocharge my car... then I'd hit... what... 15's?
sinner96ST
QUOTE (FallenHero @ Jun 16, 2004 - 10:00 PM)
who knows. there are guys with gts' hitting low 14's to 13's spending less money than it would take me to turbocharge my car... then I'd hit... what... 15's?

they use that powerFC w/ a pre-tuned program that makes the celi push harder.. some guy on newcelica is pushing mid/high 13's with basic weight reduction & that fuel management system. pretty sweet.
CelicaFanatic
QUOTE (Hanyo @ Jun 16, 2004 - 8:50 AM)
QUOTE (Phat_Boi @ Jun 16, 2004 - 4:24 AM)
What does the A/C have to do with anything?  You lose that .000000000001 HP with having it on  rolleyes.gif

actually a/c affects the HP alot.

that is why some people remove the compressor pump to free up some more HP. if a/c did affect performance the under driven pully system would be less popular.

Phat_Boi dont comment when you dont know what your talking about... the reason i commented... was because i knew what i was saying. you tried to prove me wrong and make me look stupid... but... ya you get the point
FallenHero
QUOTE (sinner96ST @ Jun 16, 2004 - 10:57 PM)
who knows.  there are guys with gts' hitting low 14's to 13's spending less money than it would take me to turbocharge my car...  then I'd hit... what... 15's?

they use that powerFC w/ a pre-tuned program that makes the celi push harder.. some guy on newcelica is pushing mid/high 13's with basic weight reduction & that fuel management system. pretty sweet.

He's running a little more than just the FC, but they (the few guys doing the NA 13's) have a secret. They are all running on drag slicks to put down those times. It's killing their trannys.
sinner96ST
QUOTE (FallenHero @ Jun 18, 2004 - 7:42 PM)
QUOTE (sinner96ST @ Jun 16, 2004 - 10:57 PM)
who knows.  there are guys with gts' hitting low 14's to 13's spending less money than it would take me to turbocharge my car...  then I'd hit... what... 15's?

He's running a little more than just the FC, but they (the few guys doing the NA 13's) have a secret. They are all running on drag slicks to put down those times. It's killing their trannys.

i wondered why and or how they can push those numbers on a track.. i think the post on newcelica.org, the guy who was running the 13's had an exhaust, weght reduction, cold air intake, and that powerFC. plus the slicks now.. interesting stuff.
brianforster
the gts would kill you once the vvti kicked in biggrin.gif
97sccelica
QUOTE (FallenHero @ Jun 16, 2004 - 9:00 PM)

14's

turboed at 8psi you would hit 14's in an st-t

i heard that those guys running fast times with na GTS's is mainly due to the weight reduction, that its not minor reduction.

and drag slicks make a huge difference, especially on a car with no low end torque like a GTS, lets them launch harder and at a higher rpm so that they hit lift a lot sooner.
FallenHero
yep, every one of them that puts down killer times was using some kind of drag radial. The main one has Serious tranny problemsnow... and I have heard of several others with them.
o8poa8o
01' GTS w/ drag radials, CIA, catback exhaust, and power fc, and only drivers seat, and no spair and stuff. he's running like 13.5sec. 1/4mile, i've talked to him b4, hes on like clubcelica.com or somethin
FallenHero
newcelica.org. Go to racing stories and look at the time slips.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.