Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New guy needs some opinions on possible purchase..
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
AnotherRedGT
First off thanks in advance for any advice you can offer. You guys seem to have a great community here and I look forward to joining it officially with the purchase of a 94 GT in the next week and a half, which is where the questions come in.

I currently drive a POS 98 Plymouth Breeze (Dodge Stratus) with 68k on it that I bought used a few years ago out of necessity and not much more. I am having problem after problem with this thing and if I didnt still owe 3 grand I would have driven it off a cliff by now. I came across an opportunity to get a 94 GT Hatchback with 65,000 miles on it for around 2k. I work at a Toyota Dealership in Western NY (didn't when I bought the breeze) and from the opinion I get from our technicians it would be a good buy and should last me at LEAST a few years. This would replace my current vehicle and be my MAIN vehicle and unfortunately have to be driven in the winter out here.

So what I want to know from all of you who are familiar with the 6gc and all its ups and downs from driving them daily (or pretty close) is if this sounds like a feasible idea as far as reliability, life of the vehicle, and year round driving go.

P.S. I love the car and the way it drives and would love to try and eventually do half the stuff some of you guys do if I purchase it.. but that is for another day. Thanks again!
slipgun
Stock, its a great daily driver. Just dont do any mods that make it too harsh such as 3sgte swaps if you dont want it to be a weekend cruiser. I drive my car every day to work/school/friends. I also took it 5 hours to my brothers college and back home the next day loved every minute of it. Nothings gone wrong for me I have had it for 14k miles and ill ive done is break's and oil. Besides that, maintenence isnt very expensive, these cars where ment for daily drivers we just love em more then most of them. smile.gif
Coomer
Welcome to the site! biggrin.gif

That Celica sounds like a great deal! These cars are great daily drivers that are very reliable. Mine drove fine in the winter back when it was teal, but now that it's lowered with 17" rims and nice paint, I don't drive it in the winter anymore. wink.gif

I'd say get that Celica for sure as long as it has no major problems. smile.gif
exxtractor
I use to live in albany, ny so driving a celica in the winter isn't a problem. does well, get good all-season's and should be fine. Lucky you work for a dealership, make sure hey go over the mechanical parts of the car, and check for rust! I had to replace my gas tank becuase of rust. I have a '94 ST with way more milage and its reliable, and great on gas
RedSunCelica
mines a 95 and ive had it ever since 2000. it has 115k miles on it and is still beat to death at every auto x event i go to. only problem is when you start to modify the car your going to run into maintance problems but if you keep it stock and do the up keep on it will last you for a good 200k miles. i know a few guys/gals about to go over the 200k mile mark
AnotherRedGT
Just wanted to say thanks guys... I SHOULD be grabbing it within the next week! When I do I'll be sure to post pics for the hell of it...
Keiri
God luck bro...in a year I'll be following suit...

Keiri
97Celica
Dayamn..only $2,000?!?! NICE! Even if it had no engine,that is a steal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.