Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3sgte Celica Vs sr20det 240
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
drdos
What would you choice?

I am really thinking about selling my celica and getting a nissan 240 and doing a sr20 swap. but i really dont want to leave the celica family.

What would you do?

Pro's about the celica w/3sgte

Semi fast or what i have seen so far. havent relaly been impressed yet.
Light
Good looking
nice inetior
not to many where i live.

Cons with the celica

FWD, is probley the most major one.
no one really likes them for some werid reason

thats all i can think about for that

Pros about the 240 with sr20det
Very fast, ive seen some crazy speed's with that swap.
sr20det is a awesome motor comes with forged internals stock
RWD > fwd

Cons about the 240
On the heavier side
not that good looking. unless you do a sliva conversion ( then its sweet)
alot of people have them
not that nice of interior.
chucho
gotta say, i would like either one of them. The conversion on the 240 makes it look sweet. The thing is the SR20det is more common and easier to get parts around here. & more ppl have worked on the car for me. But i want to get me AWD so i gotta find me a all-trac to play w/
Andason
celica. then again im show before go. i dont care about how fast im going, i like to present myself nicely smile.gif
Supersprynt
my friend is currently in the middle of doing a 91 240 swap w/SR20DET.

And a kid in my area just got a 97 Silvia w/SR20DET. RHD, the works...its such a beautiful car.

If there was a 97 Celica swapped with 3rd Gen 3s and there was a 97 Sliva...idk it would be basically a coin flip.
97sccelica
its takes money and time to make a 240 with a sr as fast as you see in the videos that float around the internet

compairing the two cars, they will both usually recive the same mods in during the swap process such as intake, full exhaust some form of boost control and fuel control and possibly intercooler upgrades.

they are pretty even cars, major difference being that more parts are available for SR's. but similarly, if you have a 2nd gen 3sgte, then you can get replacement parts no problem, with an sr it may take some time and sure as hell would cost more money

the only thing with the swaped celica is that its fwd. i hate torque steer. my st-t had it but only if i wasnt paying attention. while shopping for my new car, i test drove a neon srt4, an 04 model, and despite having LSD, it torque steered horribly, i almost hit the median.

so im gonna have to be with super on this one. for me its a toss up. i like the looks and driving of both cars and both have good potential, the celica looks better, and RWD>FWD

oh and btw, i now have an AWD vehicle

so

AWD>RWD>FWD
KAMiX
I wouldn't get a SR20. Sure they are nice engines, but as soon as you see the potential it has, you'll want an RB26. It's like the Supra or GT4 vs GT celica, the Skyline vs the pulsar/240/silvia's.
Magic
I know from the nissan family that SR20 has very fragile gearbox:)
phat94celi
You could get a 240 and turbo the KA. It has good potential. But the 6gc look very much better than even a silvia converted 240sx.
shid
Actually i've heard exactly the opposite about turboing the KA- I've heard it responds to boost poorly.

But I dislike the 240's interior and it's emergency handling has a tendency to fail.
Supersprynt
THeres a kid "around" who has a turbo KA 94 240sx...dissapointing.
o8poa8o
i'd take the celi, even tho its fwd. btw what kind of numbers does a sr20 make?
KAMiX
But I dislike the 240's interior and it's emergency handling has a tendency to fail.

What do you mean by this shid??? What is emergency handling lol. Are you saying the back will flick out quickly?

Stock they are fairly low.. My friend has a SSS pulsar (SR20DE) which is about 135 hp at the crank with exhaust & intake. They can really handle boost though, the SR20DET's are a nice engine, you can push to 200 hp pretty much by just upping the boost. http://www.importtuner.com/tech/0309it_pp240sx/ for some dyno sheets.
shid
Kamix, thats basically what all the consumer reports said. Not that the back flicks out quickly, but rather that the steering simply FAILS if you're driving straight at speed and then swerve; back when the 240s were popular I saw a short news story about it- and if you look in any car consumer report magazine that line is still there.
KAMiX
Well I'm sure it's a fixable suspension prob. then because there are a hell of a lot of racers and drifters who use those cars... I have never heard that before though.
shid
I was doing research on them before I bought the celica, I ran into it plenty of times, and I've heard it's expensive to fix and no one usually bothers.

Drifting and racing aren't emergency handling- you're taking controlled turns etc etc
97sccelica
QUOTE (o8poa8o @ Jun 20, 2004 - 7:42 PM)
i'd take the celi, even tho its fwd. btw what kind of numbers does a sr20 make?

around 200 crank hp for the affordable sr20 engines

the newest sr20det's from teh s15's have 250hp and a 6spd tranny but they are way up there in price
KAMiX
^^^ What year is that 97s?

Because as I said my mates stock SR20DE is only about 130 or 40 ish. That is probably a '96 or '97 I think.

Not that the back flicks out quickly, but rather that the steering simply FAILS if you're driving straight at speed and then swerve

Drifting and racing aren't emergency handling- you're taking controlled turns etc etc

To start a drift, usually you go straight then swerve biggrin.gif Race tracks have things like chicanes in them. biggrin.gif What do you actually mean by a steering failure? If the back isn't snapping out then what are you talking about?
oOoHuY
if u do plan on selling your celi i would love to buy the engine and everything for it
SlowCelica94
QUOTE (Supersprynt @ Jun 21, 2004 - 12:50 AM)
THeres a kid "around" who has a turbo KA 94 240sx...dissapointing.

http://store.yahoo.com/cheapturbo/19ni24.html

That's my buddy Jason's boosted KA. He makes 12 sec passes, nothing to be disappointed about
97sccelica
QUOTE (KAMiX @ Jun 20, 2004 - 10:15 PM)
^^^ What year is that 97s?

Because as I said my mates stock SR20DE is only about 130 or 40 ish. That is probably a '96 or '97 I think.

the sr20de is non turbo, which is why its a 96 or 97 and only has 140hp.

they made sr20det's back to 1990 or something like that and they(the turbo sr20's) always made atleast 200hp boosted at 6psi if i remember correctly
KAMiX
^^ I know a SR20DE is non turbo mate, as I laid out in an earlier post.

around 200 crank hp for the affordable sr20 engines

the newest sr20det's from teh s15's have 250hp and a 6spd tranny but they are way up there in price

Perhaps you should said around 200 crank hp for the affordable sr20det engines, because to me it looked like you were talking about sr20de's. You are right though the power output at the crank on a stock SR20DET is 198 HP.
SlowCelica94
/\
Doesn't that depend on the generation tho? like black-top or red-top?
FallenHero
www.xatracing.com has good SR info.
Yota
Heres how I look at it:

Everytime I buy a car magazine and start looking through them, I see either an article about "THE DRIFT KING" (some other 240sx with the SR20 swap in it) or an article about some JDM Civic (because anymore, civics are struggling to stand out from one another since damn near everyone on earth has one or knows someone who owns one)

By owning a Celica, I think I turn more heads than all other cars do in my town. And the reason is simple; the 6gc isn't that common. When tuners see our cars, it looks mysterious to them because it doesn't house a b16. They don't know what the hell is under our hood and frankly, alot of them are afraid to find out. Since its not a common tuner car to prowl the streets, they couldn't tell you whether its an ST or a GT-Four?

In terms of comparing the 240 to the Celica, it depends on what type of performance you're looking for. FWD isn't all that bad. Where I live, it snows and since I'm not blessed with having a 2nd vehicle, the FWD happens to be better in the snow. I think with the right amount of work, a 3S-GTE can do more than what is expected from them. its a potent 4 cylinder that has a hell of a reputation. I saw stick with the Celica and surprise someone in your town who owns a 240.
audiophile24
226 hp on a sr20 det thats not very impressive numbers at 6psi hell a second gen 3sgte stock at 7 psi pushes 225 all day long with a very impressive 225ft/lbs of torque
Kwanza26
QUOTE (audiophile24 @ Jun 30, 2004 - 4:26 AM)
226 hp on a sr20 det thats not very impressive numbers at 6psi hell a second gen 3sgte stock at 7 psi pushes 225 all day long with a very impressive 225ft/lbs of torque

You seem confused. If anything... 226 @ 6spi is more than 225 @ 7psi... rolleyes.gif The two engines are pretty dead even in the numbers department, if you ask me.

The only reason I'd have a 3SGTE Celica over a SR20DET 240... it's a bit more original... at least in the US... but aside from that, IMO, the SR20 is the tougher motor, the 240SX is RWD and overall, a RWD car would simply be a lot more fun to drive.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.