Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Please Help Me
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
AJcelica
hey everyone, i'm saving up for a 6th gen celica and i was wondering, would it at all be possible to switch the stock engine and tranny with a 7th gen GTS's? my reasoning behind this is that i want to find a cheaper 6th gen with high mileage and then swap the worn engine and tranny with newer stuff. would this be possible or should i look into getting a different engine to swap?

also i was just wondering as to how much i should be paying for all this stuff, including an estimate as to how much a high mileage 96 celica would dent my pocket book...

thanks

-AJ
forkee
look up the topic bout swapping the supra engine..........applies to this too..
AJcelica
well i did learn alot, but it didn't really answer my questions... i'm thinking that the 180 hp '00 GTS engine would be great for more power, i just want to know if it will work, with little or no mods to the bay of the 6th gen... i was prolly gonna replace the tranny of any high mileage car anyway so i thought that the 6 gear GTS engine was the way to go... and since the 7th gen celicas are so abundent, i thought that it might have been easier to find that engine + tranny

west_minist
It would be better to go with a 4AGZE or 4AGE 20V swap.

If not, go with a 3SGE swap from toysport.
AJcelica
QUOTE (west_minist @ Feb 20, 2003 - 7:53 PM)

oh yeah? hmmm... can i get some specs on those other engines? and what about availability... i was just thinking about the 7th gen GTS swap because it would kinda be original...

west_minist
Specs range from 160HP and up.

These engines are better suited for you car than the 7g celi.

The 3SGE is over 175hp.

All of these can get to the 200 mark very easy with essential mods.
AJcelica
thanks.. i just read the post i think you meant i should read...

now i want to get the 3S-GTE swap haha
AJcelica
QUOTE (AJcelica @ Feb 20, 2003 - 8:19 PM)
QUOTE (west_minist @ Feb 20, 2003 - 7:53 PM)

oh yeah? hmmm... can i get some specs on those other engines? and what about availability... i was just thinking about the 7th gen GTS swap because it would kinda be original...

what's this toysport? do they ship the 3S-GTE? can i get some info please smile.gif
AJcelica
ummm this may sound like a stupid question but i would like to know what front clip and rear clip mean... does it mean rear engine and front engine?

you have to remember i know next to nothing about cars compared to you guys wink.gif
FallenHero
Ok bud, here we go.

Clip- fron clip is the front half of a JDM car. They take a good car, cut it in half, and send the front of it (enging ecu and all) to greedy americans like us who want power.
(rear clip is the back, get it?)
Now, Go to Toysport.com

There you will need to find their list of engines they have in stock. You can buy any engine you want for your car there.

BE SURE TO BUY A GT CELICA!!! I have an ST, and I will tell you that you want a gt. It's much easier on your wallet. I am going to have to switch my rear brakes before I do any major engine work, on a GT you won't have to worry about it. Also, the 3s engines fit much easier into the GT.
Good luck, and let it be known that you have picked a great car if you do end up with one.
Jon
95STCelica
If you do this i am going to be very , very jealous. Stay away from the GT-S or actually 7th gen engines.. i heard they were geared very bad and the potential of the other 6th gen engines that Fallenhero listed have much much upside than a 7th gen engine.. good luck..keep us posted wink.gif
jayi12-15psi
IMHO, the 7th gen engines are junk, and as for the cost of a high mileage 6th gen, check out kbb.com, its just the blue book site, but It could help you get a rough estimate on how much you're gonna spend for the car.

mine I bought with 140,000 miles for 4,000, not neccesarily a great deal, but I'm happy.

It is possible to swap a 7th gen gts, but I wouldn't waste my time.

There was another thread on the prices of 3s-gte's if your interested, for instance venus-auto.com has the 2nd gen for 1,500, (good price) and thats for the whole clip.

If planning a swap get the clip so you don't have to hunt down various bits and pieces like the ecu.

Also, if you buy a clip that is a mr2 rear clip(cause its midengine) you may have to do a bit of custom tranny work, but I'm not sure.

I hope we can be some assistance to you, welcome to the board
AJcelica
thanks for all the help guys...

i was looking at toysport.com and i noticed a ST185 3S-GTE engine for around 3000... that's prolly what i'm in the market for... now if i were to get this... would i be missing parts like jayi12-15psi said? or should i still look for a front clip?
Coomer
Definitely look for a front clip. $3,000 for just a ST185 engine is a crazy price to pay, considering right now at http://www.venus-auto.com you can get a ST185 front clip for $1,500.

Here's a direct link to it: http://venus-auto.com/inventory/toyota/28-st185.htm
AJcelica
i can't even find that price anymore... lol

on the toysport site i found one:

ST185 3SGTE AIR TO AIR INTERCOOLER CERAMIC TURBO SALE $ 1,250.00

that's better right? haha
Charlie97L
QUOTE (AJcelica @ Feb 21, 2003 - 3:18 PM)
i can't even find that price anymore... lol

on the toysport site i found one:

ST185 3SGTE AIR TO AIR INTERCOOLER CERAMIC TURBO SALE $ 1,250.00

that's better right? haha

yes, but that's just the engine... you want a clip... check out jarcoinc.com for clips if you aren't in cali, in cali, check www.venus-auto.com

the 7th gen won't fit. and it will cost about 10 grand for a gts engine and tranny.
AJcelica
thanks... i can't wait till i have the money to get the car/engine swap
FallenHero
See, the trick here is you need more than just an engine. You need the clip to pull all the odd's and ends for a turbo set up from.+the computer to actually run the engine.
AJcelica
hey, i've got another question for all your celica geniuses out there...

from what i've gathered there was no GTS version of the celica sold in the united states.. but since i live in canada eh! biggrin.gif i was wondering if there was a difference between the GT and the GTS celicas. would i run into any more trouble if i bought a GTS and then tried to swap the engine with a 3SGTE?
AJcelica
am i smoking crack or what? confused.gif

is there a 6th gen version of the GTS for canada or is it my imagination? sigh... so confused...
AJcelica
so many questions...

i live in canada so i was wondering what is a reasonable price on a really high mileaged celica GT (or GTS if i'm not crazy)

i'm learning so much here, I LOVE IT!
Mage
The 6th gen GT-S in canada is the same thing as the 6th gen GT pretty much everywhere else.
AJcelica
alright... i'm not totally crazy then biggrin.gif

thanks!

so do they sell the GT in canada or should i be looking for a GTS?
Silver94CelicaOwner
As far as i know, GT and GT-S are just about the same thing, someone please correct me if im wrong.
FallenHero
I think the GTS has more Hp.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.