Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TRANSMISSION
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Yota
I am doing a 3S-GTE swap into my ST. I don't know what transmission I should use. I've been told to go with either :
5SFE

V6 camry/Solara

MR2 Turbo

Which transmission would you guys suggest I use? Whish would be the strongest to use and most reliable. What type of work would need to go into building it up also?

Thanks guys!
racingmcfly
Don't know much about the v6 box, but the MR2 box was originally designed to go with that engine, so its all gonna be geared better for that engine, plus i believe you get a limited slip diff and equal length driveshafts to reduce torque steer, which will be a great help with 250bhp going through the front wheels!
Yota
Ok, that makes sense. Where can you go to buy just a transmission?
reborn0323
QUOTE (racingmcfly @ Jun 28, 2004 - 1:40 AM)
Don't know much about the v6 box, but the MR2 box was originally designed to go with that engine, so its all gonna be geared better for that engine, plus i believe you get a limited slip diff and equal length driveshafts to reduce torque steer, which will be a great help with 250bhp going through the front wheels!

ok i've been thinking of doing the swap and have been researching what i need too and i have one question about getting a mr2 clip

wouldn't the mr2 being a mid body engine rear wheel drive format affect the tranny, diff, driveshaft setup??
Kwanza26
QUOTE (reborn0323 @ Jun 28, 2004 - 9:10 AM)
ok i've been thinking of doing the swap and have been researching what i need too and i have one question about getting a mr2 clip

wouldn't the mr2 being a mid body engine rear wheel drive format affect the tranny, diff, driveshaft setup??

No...
lantz2121
I also am performing a 3g 3sgte swap into my celica I have heard that you can use the gt-4 gearbox by removing the rear trans case and fabricating a plate to cover it. It this recomended?
Yota
Where can I find an MR2 turbo transmission?
jgreening
try this thread:

Transmissions worthy of Power
Supersprynt
Get the MR2T.
Ebay. The LSD's will be twice as expensive, and twice as rare. The regular ones will do just fine.
celicaracer18
when i ordered my engine, i got it from renewed import and they buy clips from japan and ship you what ever you need to cut down on shipping, i got the MR2 3sgte, i upgraded there listed engine kit to one with all the extras you need for that swap aswell as a lsd tranny, the upgraded tranny cost me an extra 300.
Supersprynt
thats well worth it.

I'm currently looking for a SW20 tranny, If i find a nice one without LSD i'll get that, and then the LSD axles and then see if i cant source some alltrac outters 1/2 shafts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.