Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I gonna swap the 2nd gen 3S-GTE next month
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
ST-204
Hi, all
I gonna swapping the 2nd gen 3S-GTE engine into my GT next month, as a result, I have several questions about the swapping problems

1) Does the 3s-gte wire-harness can be suitable plug in into our car
2) Do I need to customs the harder to connect the mid-pipe of my car
3) Does the 5S-FE GT transmission is good for suffer the pressure from the 3S-GTE engine
4)After I swap the new engine into my GT, if I gonna use the original cooler above the engine, do I need to buy a GT-4 hood, or I can still use the stock GT hood to cover it?
5) Moreover, after swapping, what else I also need to buy, such as turbo timer, boost gauge, or sth.........

I am very appreciating u guys can help me to solve those questions if u guys can!!
Ryu3x16
QUOTE (ST-204 @ Jun 30, 2004 - 7:12 PM)
Hi, all
I gonna swapping the 2nd gen 3S-GTE engine into my GT next month, as a result, I have several questions about the swapping problems

3) Does the 5S-FE GT transmission is good for suffer the pressure from the 3S-GTE engine
4)After I swap the new engine into my GT, if I gonna use the original cooler above the engine, do I need to buy a GT-4 hood, or I can still use the stock GT hood to cover it?
5) Moreover, after swapping, what else I also need to buy, such as turbo timer, boost gauge, or sth.........

I am very appreciating u guys can help me to solve those questions if u guys can!!

um.... harness needs to constructed... would recommend www.elprototypes.com
2) yes
3) from what i've heard..gt tranny is good for about 220 whp
4) the gt-4 bonnet does not help.. you'll get crazy heat soak...im speaking from experience..ahhah..i suggest going front mount intercooler
5) i dunno..ahhahah
lagos
QUOTE (ST-204 @ Jun 30, 2004 - 7:12 PM)
Hi, all

wow, that was a hard read.

1) no, the wiring harness does not plug right in. you have to rewire your main 5sfe fuse box and also your 3rd ecu plug and 3 other interrior plugs. you also have the option of extending your harness or drilling a new hole for the wires to go in, i just drilled a hole in mine. have a plan ready for how you will handle the wiring before you start your swap.

2) the exhause dosnt bolt right up. you will need to take your car to a muffler shop and have them mate the exhaust for you.

3) many people use the 5s trans, so it should work fine for you.

4) you cant run the top mount intercooler for long. a front mount is highly recomended.

5) dont buy any toys just yet...a turbo timer and boost gauge wont do you any good when the car is not running. you will need a good set of metric tools, engine lift, a good car jack, various size braker bars, a new clutch, pressure plate, new belts, distributor cap and rotor, plug wires and plugs, etc.....etc.... etc...
Supersprynt
When you can, dont use the 5sfe tranny in the long run it will only bring you problems. Use MR2T if you can find one.
ST-204
But first of all
I don't have enough money to do all above this things, so can I just only swap the whole engine into my GT, then run for it??
shid
Have at least 1000 extra before you start the swap
ST-204
QUOTE (shid @ Jul 1, 2004 - 7:36 AM)
Have at least 1000 extra before you start the swap

But the intercooler is almost 1000 bucks, how about the hose and else sth
Supersprynt
What intercooler? You can get a FMIC for $200 off ebay and its plenty big, then u gotta find piping.

And honestly, if you dont have the money to do it right when the engine is out your going to kick urself in the ass later on for not doing what you should have in the first place.
lagos
if you dont have money, then dont even think of doing this swap.

so far i think i have spent around 4-5,000$ this is including the clip, shipping, tools, fmic, gauges, blow off, engine lift, misc tune up stuff, fluids, etc...

its not a project you can take lightly. basically you going to take apart everything in your car, and try to put it all back together for the first time in your life. its a major project and there are things that can go wrong. you have to have extra money for those unexpected things that can come up.
Four
plan on 250-350 for a intercooler off ebay. and it WILL cost you 700-1000 to get pipping done, do a FMIC does cost about 1000
shid
A garret universal intercooler piping kit works perfectly I've heard, and much cheaper than custom piping to boot.
uzthedentist
or fit a scoop to your hood like the gen 2 gt4 to get air to the ic
ST-204
Thanks a lot of all u guys comments!!
If I still have any problems in the future, I will keep on asking u guys, thx a lot!!
lagos
QUOTE (shid @ Jul 1, 2004 - 12:59 PM)
A garret universal intercooler piping kit works perfectly I've heard, and much cheaper than custom piping to boot.

any idea where to buy this kit from? who do you know that got it?
shid
Forkee's using it, so I dunno how well it'd work on the GT...

but with modifcations, it can't be near 1000 dollars. the MSRP on Greddy's (Sorry, its a GREDDY universal IC kit), is much lower than that
lagos
best place i have found so far is http://www.burnsstainless.com/

you can order just the bends you want.
sphinx
QUOTE (Supersprynt @ Jun 30, 2004 - 7:38 PM)
When you can, dont use the 5sfe tranny in the long run it will only bring you problems. Use MR2T if you can find one.

Please pay real close attention to this post. It's absolutely Important that you understand that. I'm talking from experience, after trashing 2 of the GT trannys.
shid
Or go with something totally 31337 and expensive, like a custom 6 speed tiptonic racing shifter!!! haha
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.