Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 120 and still going
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
creis
so a few days ago I was mobbing around with deorge (and his zx2) we got on the freeway (405) in snohomish, and ended up going a little over the speed limit. anyway the freewas was basicly vacant, and we ended up side by side, and neither one of up let up on the gas (not racing just messing around) but eventualy we hit 110 and i started losing him, so i figured that i would just se how fast i could get to. ended up at 120+ and had to slow for a bend in the road, but still 120!!!! fastest I have ever been in a car. GOOD TIMES biggrin.gif

Is there a govoner in our cars (govoner limits the speed the car can get up to) I know there was one in my civic (it was like 105) but i never felt it limit in the celica, it seemed as though I could just keep speeding up, until it red lines.

anyone been any faster in a 6gc, if so: how fast? gat a cool story about mobbing around

mobbing: driving fast and with out consern for the speedlimit, usualy in a group. and also includes swerving though traffic. <really stupid>
shid
If you search, you'll find old posts about this. Automatics do not have a speed limiter, but many manuals do. In my automatic, I hit 127 before I could go no further. Not a limiter.. just aerodynamics, hp of the engine in highest gear, tire size, etc etc etc etc.

Warning tho, anything over 105 mph I believe shows up on airplane radars. So, if you drive past an airport while a plane is taking off, you suddenly show up on their radar. Police helicopters etc have it down at about 90 I believe, so they can easily call in speeders. Basically, you're one bright target at high speeds; and over 100 is a night in jail and car impounded.
Coomer
QUOTE (creis @ Jul 1, 2004 - 4:44 PM)
mobbing: driving fast and with out consern for the speedlimit, usualy in a group. and also includes swerving though traffic. <really stupid>

A couple months ago I got passed/cut-off by a crazy Xterra doing that going probably up to 100 at times on I-5. Half an hour later I saw the car on the side of the road, all crushed up along with an Eclipse because they both rolled a few times.
BigEdge169
I remember my days driving around like that, all fast everywhere...I think I'm an old man now I drive the speed limit most all of the time, mostly because college has made it to where I can't afford a ticket or see the point of getting one. Anyways, I'll occasionally see people driving the freeway that way and I just have to remember the good old days... wink.gif
SlowCelica94
I got a story too. My buddy w/ the S13,got pissed one day after class. He found out his g/f had cheated on him and was driving home and swirving thro traffic and blew a red light. I saw him blow the light, and then a few seconds later a cop lit up and took after him. So I called him up on his cell and told him to run like hell. Well, by then the cop was behind him and he was pulled over. I guess when the cop walked up to his window he actually said, "congraulations, you just won a free trip to jail!" He was 17 tho, so no jail
Hym3n
Not entirely sure about the 'over 100 and a night in jail' thing. I believe that is a state-by-state thing, and also depends on what the current speed limit is. I just recently got a ticket for 104 in a 70, and the cop let me off as if nothing had happened (still got the ticket, just no cuffs or jailtime). However, he said that had it been 105 (35-over), I would've been in his cruiser on their way back to the station. So who knows.

-Brian
Negative
Yeah, about the top speed thing - We had that thread back in May about this.
I've done 125+ in a '95 GT Auto and 120 approx in my '99 GT manual.
Some St's claim they hit 117 and have no more due to rev limiter or something. And yeah 120+ in light traffick is like the best time I've ever had in my life too. The problem is it's not just my life I could take so I keep that sh*t to a minimum - couple of times a year - whatever.
If you're ever in eastern Texas look me up - I'm down for the beautiful and relatively cop-free run from Houston to Historic San Antonio at 120+.
SlowCelica94
Mu buddy was doing over 100mph on 35mph road
BlackCelicaGT94
do what ur gonna do
BlackCelicaGT94
if i was ever in a car going that fast and killed someone i would hope that the family would SUE THE SH*T out of me!!! also if im in a car with someone and they are speeding like crazy and i tell them to stop and they dont and ig et in a wreck you best believe if i get injured im suing them
Negative
Why would you say that? Your speedometer says 140MPH and as long as the brakes and all are in good shape the car can handle it. As far as the driver goes - we're all different. Maybe you and others can't handle it but others of us can. Real race car drivers get paid to do it - do you really think that no one on here has the reflexes, skill and experience to handle it too?
I will admit that it is a great risk and you should kind of work up to it. Practice at different speed and so forth - you will know when you've had enough speed.
Personally I won't be satisfied until I see all of that 140MPH.
orvillescelica
QUOTE (shid @ Jul 1, 2004 - 4:50 PM)

Warning tho, anything over 105 mph I believe shows up on airplane radars. So, if you drive past an airport while a plane is taking off, you suddenly show up on their radar. Police helicopters etc have it down at about 90 I believe, so they can easily call in speeders. Basically, you're one bright target at high speeds; and over 100 is a night in jail and car impounded.

Airport radar can pick up any cars no matter how fast they are going. Ive been in the tower of an airport and the guy pointed out the cars on the freeway reporting speeds of 50-60 mph. It really depends on where they tilt the radar beacon. The guy had to tilt it down a bit to show me the cars. But this was a small airport and there was no traffic except one guy in the pattern. I dont believe it has much to do with speed resolution as airport radars need to pick up all air traffic in thier proximity no matter if it is an f-16 at Mach 1 or a piper cub moving at 60 mph.
shid
Orville, that may be for an airports radar, but an airplane radar has to be adjusted so it "cut outs" anything below a certain speed.
orvillescelica
QUOTE (shid @ Jul 2, 2004 - 1:20 PM)
Orville, that may be for an airports radar, but an airplane radar has to be adjusted so it "cut outs" anything below a certain speed.

my bad then, i thought you were talking about airport radar since you said 'passing by an airport'
shid
Ahh yeah, I just wanted to use an example of an area with a lot of low flying planes.

PS: You got into an airport tower? COOOOOOOOL
Rjb23
I've did 140 mph before on the audobahn.
shid
In your celica?
Rjb23
No an audi diesel station wagon.
Andason
QUOTE (shid @ Jul 2, 2004 - 6:30 PM)
In your celica?

that is the dumbest reply i've ever heard.

of course not in his celica.
gas65
My top speed in a car is 154,................ and not in my celica.On a brand new road, late at night that was closed to the public until they got the stripes painted on it. 13 miles of 3 and 4 lane road with just my car on it, gotta love when they make a new road. wink.gif
lagos
man, you guys really are crazy.

it dost matter if the road has cars on it or not. there may be something unexpected, like trash that fell of a truck or maby and animal, or a piece of truck tire. if you hit that at 100+ you are f u c k e d.

the other thing to consider is if your tires are even rated for those speeds.

for me, i like the 0-60 and the highest i try to go is 90ish. its not worth your life or your right to drive, just to say you went 120mph.
Hym3n
QUOTE (lagos @ Jul 2, 2004 - 8:45 PM)
its not worth your life or your right to drive, just to say you went 120mph.

TRUE. BUT, it IS however worth it to say you've gone 200MPH. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

-brian
spunky393
2003 porshe turbo, 205 mph. Gotta luv those uncles and the straight country roads
Hym3n
I was shooting more for the Mitsubishi GTO MR (a rebaged VR-4). He's got 15G turbos, 770cc injectors, and boosting somewhere around 24psi at the track. Getting close to 10 seconds.

Gotta love those 3000GT friends.

-Brian
shid
QUOTE (Andason @ Jul 3, 2004 - 1:15 AM)
QUOTE (shid @ Jul 2, 2004 - 6:30 PM)
In your celica?

that is the dumbest reply i've ever heard.

of course not in his celica.

rofl, you're REALLY one to talk smile.gif
KAMiX
I have been on a few high speed runs and these 3 were on public roads.

280 kph / 170 mph in a Dodge Viper (my dads).
260 kph / 160 mph in a Porsche 911 Turbo.
240 kph / 150 mph in a Skyline R33 GTR.

I have taken the Viper out a lot but that was the fastest (that thing will go faster, but it scares the **** out of me).
Makaveddie
My celi cuts out at 116... round there. Screw it, who wants to go fast anyway. Let em drool over the beauty of the 6gc...
kevstir
130mph in my celica and there was still more in it but i ran out of road before i had to turn of the motorway(freeway), mind u the top speed on our UK GT's is 139mph biggrin.gif

Kevstir
audiophile24
just know that things on the road come up on you in a blink of an eye when traveling above 100mph......
97Celica
I've done 127mph against a ****ty ass lowered Integra and started pulling hard away after 100mph goin down 495...btw,we passed a statey..I almost pissed myself...he didn't even blink...must have been..ASLEEP! Around 117mph the governor kicks in and cuts the fuel line but if you let off for a second you can slam back down on it and get back up to 120+...but,yes..127mph for some reason is the fastest I have gotten the Celica..so far...it IS in the process of being turboed. Also..the governor kicks in if you get close to the rev limiter...I found that out losing to an eclipse by .03 seconds at the track...3rd gear...fuel cut.. I was sooooooooooooo pissed.
Ah well..
LatinKraze
<------- 110mph but have reached 115mph. I havent pushed it to the limit.
dstrbcelica
max speed= 117mph. went 120 or so inna buddies 95 eclipse
o8poa8o
my dad use to own a modded Ninja 1000R and siad he went well over 140mph down a highway in the middle of florida and passed a state trooper and the trooper didn't even bother chasing after them

btw: my dad use to race motorcycles, and i kno its still stupid to drive on two wheels that fast, but this was when my dad was in northern florida round tallahasee(sp?), and my mom was pregnate and thought she was my sister and thats what he was rushin
shid
Your mom thought she was your sister but it was a false alarm? Glad to hear THAT
o8poa8o
oh and i've gone alittle under 120 in a new eclispe spyder, and it was crazy we had the top down and all
o8poa8o
QUOTE (shid @ Jul 4, 2004 - 2:09 AM)
Your mom thought she was your sister but it was a false alarm? Glad to hear THAT

rolleyes.gif read it again
shid
Ok, now it makes sense, btw, we can all see you edited it after my post, so no sense trying to make me look like an idiot with your rolling eyes.
celicaracer18
first off you guys don't know the meaning of speed, haven't you ever heard the vette motto "life begins at 150 mph"
and my fastest speed is 234 mph, in the celi lol j/k it was in a heavily modded corvette ZO6 which included a couple of turbos
btw the vette wasn't mine and i wasn't driving but the adrenaline rush was still huge

and you guys in the gt's that say they have got 120, thats makes me glad i got a st, all i have is short tube intake and an apexi rev/speed meter(also serves as a speed limiter cut) and i got 215kph which converts to 129 mph, and i wasn't finished my exit came up.
Jen
Psh. The highest I've been in my car is 100. I'm too chicken to go any faster. frown.gif
Rjb23
QUOTE (o8poa8o @ Jul 4, 2004 - 2:05 AM)
and my mom was pregnate and thought she was my sister and thats what he was rushin

Uh it still don't make sense to me.
KAMiX
Guys be careful... I have had a **** day today because I found out a close family friend wiped him self out last night frown.gif He lost it dragging down a main road...
spunky393
Sorry to hear that kamix, dragging on anything that's not the real deal track is a huge risk, my prayers for him and his family
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.