Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie Hello
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
Chunky-Monkey
I'm new so I'd though I'd say hi.

I'm seriously looking at a '98 GT-4 biggrin.gif , but don't have the funds just yet. frown.gif

I drive a Toyota Mk1 Mr2, and am looking for a winter car. The options were:

Scoobie :> Too expensive for what it is.
Evo :> Close very nearly put my hear on this but don't really want a 4 door.
Pulsar GTiR :> Would have been this but abit too old.
Celica GT-4 :> Looks like it tick all my boxes!

I need some history as I have lots of questions:

What are common problems?
Do they rot?
What trim levels did they come in?
What factory extras were there?
What sort of prices are they?
What 'upgrades' could they do with? i.e the Pulsar could do with a brake upgrade cos it doesn't stop that well
Does it have the same sort of driving position as the mr2 where your sat 'in' the car rather ran on it.
What are they like in the Ice / Wet?
Does the power suddenly BANG! in when the turbo kick's in?
Where is the best place to import one from Japan or Oz?

Probably loads more on there way but that will do for now.

Brill site by the way, someone pointed me in this direction off of TOC.

Cheers

Chunk
Andason
brass monkey, that chunky monkey.

just sayin hi, can't really answer your q's cuz i dont have a gt4. if i had the ability to get one in the states i would jump on that asap.
uzthedentist
Do they rot?
What 'upgrades' could they do with? i.e the Pulsar could do with a brake upgrade cos it doesn't stop that well
Does it have the same sort of driving position as the mr2 where your sat 'in' the car rather ran on it.

1. Standard gt4 and wrc, wrc has a number of redundant parts for homologation and the high wing, also 96 facelift and after 1997 projector headlights

2. Factory extras= climate control, ABS

3. Prices £5500- 12000 depending on spec, check out www.gt4oc.com for sale

4. Upgrades not much to be honest they are out of the box quick, have supra brakes. but its worth checking the buying guide on www.st205.net/frameset.htm as a number of suspension parts fail after 60k miles

5. Yes you are sitting in the car quite low to the ground

6. Put on some toyo proxes an they are phenomenal with amazing grip. Have a characteristic of slight understeer into corners and oversteering out.

7. With standard boost (0.85 bar) the power delivery is very smooth, if you run 1.2 bar though like a lot of us on gt4oc then it bangs in at 2900rpm and you are literally thrown ito ur seat.

8. Best to import it from japan, or if you dont want the hassle there are many for sale on www.gt4oc.com

PS all your other car choices r damn ugly!! i mean pulsar gtir!! thats ugleeeeeee
Andason
QUOTE (uzthedentist @ Jul 10, 2004 - 11:13 AM)
Do they rot?

1. Standard gt4 and wrc, wrc has a number of redundant parts for homologation and the high wing, also 96 facelift and after 1997 projector headlights

2. Factory extras= climate control, ABS

3. Prices £5500- 12000 depending on spec, check out www.gt4oc.com for sale

4. Upgrades not much to be honest they are out of the box quick, have supra brakes. but its worth checking the buying guide on www.st205.net/frameset.htm as a number of suspension parts fail after 60k miles

5. Yes you are sitting in the car quite low to the ground

6. Put on some toyo proxes an they are phenomenal with amazing grip. Have a characteristic of slight understeer into corners and oversteering out.

7. With standard boost (0.85 bar) the power delivery is very smooth, if you run 1.2 bar though like a lot of us on gt4oc then it bangs in at 2900rpm and you are literally thrown ito ur seat.

8. Best to import it from japan, or if you dont want the hassle there are many for sale on www.gt4oc.com

PS all your other car choices r damn ugly!! i mean pulsar gtir!! thats ugleeeeeee

i agree. look at uz's car ... its SO hot!
uzthedentist
man u hav an unhealthy fascination with my car lol
Anub1s
I think we all do Uz. Your car is freaking hot - a - stuff. How does bar convert over to psi anyways? .085 bar = 8.5 psi? Didn't mean to hijack but just wondering. Welcome to the boards btw and good luck in your search.
uzthedentist
1 bar= 14.5psi
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.