Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Blown Head Gasket
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
5sfeTurbo
So my cars been blowin' out THICK white smoke latley, idling very very hard stuttering like, check engine light came and went (after i flashed the ECU) and cant forget the engine temperature was spiking the "H". 1997 GT 87,000 miles
So I took it in the shop-all in all the head gakets blown out, need new studs- need work on my radiator and flush-new plugs.....$1300 dollars which I have like 300 in my account. would trade it in but I owe $5,000. God does not like me.
Digndoug
Thats the reason you just dont slap on a turbo... try to do i yourself.. learn somtihg abotu your engine.
x_itchy_b_x
i dont think hes turbo. nothing about in profile...
shid
Its just his name
5sfeTurbo
Yea I have no turbo, just liked the name. rolleyes.gif
mikew04
If you dont need the car for a few days, do it yourself. Cost me 80 bucks to do it on my old car, which beat the 800 my mech quoted me.
Pali_playa
shop around, theres more than 1 mech in the world. but im confused on how this happned to a toyota with only 87 thousand miles?!
Manta5x
QUOTE (Pali_playa @ Jul 14, 2004 - 10:33 PM)
shop around, theres more than 1 mech in the world. but im confused on how this happned to a toyota with only 87 thousand miles?!

exactly,,,,why did this happend to a 5sfe with only 87,000??
saleeka
its not that strange- 5sfe's eat head gaskets almost if you drive them hard- mine whent out at 114,000, but its not uncommon to see them go out sooner...
RedSunCelica
Head gaskets are easy to replace just time consuming. ive gone thru about 5 now. for some reason auto x and celica = blown gaskets
1bwilson
Head gaskets are a whore on the 5sfe. I replaced mine with a metal one. It takes alot of time. Its about a 10 hour job to do it. I messed up like 4 times. Took me 3 months to get it all right. I can do it all in like 4 hours now but I'd rather have a bone reset than have to do it again. $1300 is not a bad quote, Toyota charges about $2500 I hear.

Get ARP head studs if you do have to replace the bolts. ALL Toyota made headgaskets are now metal, dont use a fel pro.
Digndoug
wow do i feel like an ass now.. thats odd.. blowing with such low milage.. But still somthing you should try.. you gotta start working on your car somewhere..
1bwilson
QUOTE (Digndoug @ Jul 14, 2004 - 11:04 PM)
wow do i feel like an ass now.. thats odd.. blowing with such low milage.. But still somthing you should try.. you gotta start working on your car somewhere..

It is a fun project. Dont get me wrong. Its just something you cant rush and cant over look anything.

I messed up:

1st time. Used old head and never had it decked. Coolent leaked due to head being warped.

2nd time. Used the headgasket I put on the first time I messed up. Did this only cause the guy who leveled my head said I could.

3rd time. Found out the guy who leveled my head and told me I could use the old HG was a retard and should never give advice like that. The head now had to be sent out to a shop to fix what he messed up. P&P'ed while it was there.

4th time. The head is now off cause Im having forged pistons and 3sgte rods installed. I dont have the time to do the install this time so its at a shop.

If you are going to do the install yourself get both the hains and the chiltons books. Mark everything you take off/unhook. LOCK the cam gear!!! Not the outside one but the slave gear. It can slip and mess your timing up bad. There is a hole in the side for a screw. Also mark your buckets and be sure to put them back in the right order.
brianforster
would it be wise to change your valve seals while you were doing the head gasket to save on labor costs?
bonzaisushi
ya
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.