Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Coilovers
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Suspension/Handling/Braking
6GGT
What do u guys think are the best coilovers to get, and how will they affect the camber and uneven tire wear?
Consynx
the "best" and only seems to be Teins
they don't have an upper pillow mount
but they're decently priced

C-Ones seem like they're the best for our car, but they're double the price and hard to get...GL with that if you get them

as for camber, you'll be fine...get and alignment and tire-wear will be fine.

Coil-overs at $1000 for a reason smile.gif
they don't force you to have 15degree camber
Cormudgen
if you are reffering to sleeved coilovers though i htink everyone will agree on Ground Controls

I have my car lowred about 3.5 inches with them for around 4-5 months and camber wasnt to bad. just be sure to get an alignment once u make a change in height
Mr7AFE
i think tanabe makes some.... sustec pro or somthin like that
sphinx
You have plenty of options.

Tanabe
JIC
C-ONE
Tein

Personally, I would go with the JIC Magic coilovers. If not, then C-ONE would be next in line, and Tanabe in line after that.
wht95st-02gtivr6
go with ground control much cheaper than tein
Junior
Coil-overs at $1000 for a reason
they don't force you to have 15degree camber

The quality of the coilover doesn't change camber. I'm dropped about 3-4 inches with Ground Controls and I haven't had problems. Just some uneven tire wear.
playr158
hehe i have the least popular AROSPEED coilovers and i'm not complaining.....ruffly 2.5" drop with 18" rims
just needed an alignment as you will with anything else....
and as you should with any set of coilovers is get new shocks (kyb gr-2) is fine.......i just changed the rear shocks and left the front stock
my ride is pretty good a bit bouncy but you can complain when you get coilovers for 80$
Consynx
not the quality, but some coil-overs can allow you to change camber easily, and others you have to go to a shop
(at least i was under the impression so)
shid
Psuedo (sp) also makes them now.
Junior
QUOTE (Consynx @ Aug 15, 2004 - 9:07 AM)
not the quality, but some coil-overs can allow you to change camber easily, and others you have to go to a shop
(at least i was under the impression so)

No they don't. Camber is adjusted by using a bolt to connect the strut to the spindle. Springs or coilovers have nothing to do with this adjustment. The coilovers are completely out of the way and won't affect the way it is adjusted.
ConeTrouble
QUOTE (Junior @ Aug 15, 2004 - 7:23 PM)
No they don't.  Camber is adjusted by using a bolt to connect the strut to the spindle.  Springs or coilovers have nothing to do with this adjustment.  The coilovers are completely out of the way and won't affect the way it is adjusted.

This is not completely true. Some coilover solutions come with an adjustable top hat (JIC comes to mind) that allows you to move the top of the strut plus or minus about a degree or so.

Toyota makes bolts to correct camber, and if you go with a heavy drop, I would recommend getting them to offset the negative camber increase. They are a hell of a lot cheaper than any of the 'camber kits' that are out there.

There are going to be two factors that determine the camber change when you go to coilovers. The first and most influencial is the height of the drop. The bigger the drop, the more camber you dial in. The second is the amount of play you have in your pinch bolts.

Regardless, if you drop your car much, you should go and have it aligned.
Junior
The bolts made by Toyota are called crash bolts. I'm not sure, but pretty sure that they are not adjustable, so they may not give you enough positive camber, or maybe too much. If you're looking for handling, you want to have some negative camber. Just find a good balance between handling and tire life.
Shigexile
what exactly does cambers do?
Consynx
it's the angle of the wheel to the ground.

umm, depending which way you can have the wheels ride the inside or outside.

most people ride the inside i believe, so when turning the wheel is more flat than riding on a side

not good for daily driving and tire wear, but yea...

mainly drifters use camber i believe, or track-cars
Fabulous
I have just recently lowerd my Celica with Dropzone Ajustable Coilovers. I love the way it looks, but I'm getting some nosie from the front struts. Is this a barring problem, or possibly something else? I need some advice.

Fabulous
Consynx
is the noise only on bumps, during regular turning, or what?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.