Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are turbos good for daily driving??
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
Jeremy1210
I've been thinking about a 3s swap or a rebuild with a turbo. Im wondering wether having a turbo is good for a daily driver? Do those of you with turbos have otehr cars or use yours for a DD? What are the pros and cons you have found for using a turbo as DD?

Jeremy
BlackCelicaGT94
im not really a complete know it all by any means but IMO doesnt it really depend on what ur daily driving mileage is? I drive anywhere from 20 - 500 miles in a day (usually more around 40 a day on weekdays and about 200-800 on a weekend) so in my case i would probably need a DD substitute!

with my bros 7mgte swapped 84 supra i know that he will not be able to drive that car everyday cuz he works 40 mins away from work so in the long run it wont be good ont he car

Seems to me that it would just be more expensive to maintain if u use ur turboed car as a daily driver and add a lot of miles!
turboinduction
in short -

No
SlowCelica94
You see more turboed DD then I'm sure you know. A lot of cars people drive daily are boosted. A lotta volvos, Audis, any saab. Most my buddies are boosted and drive a lot on their cars. Nothing too bad yet.

But a turbo is another part. And that other part will need extra maintance.
shid
Turbos work fine for daily drivers as long as you don't stick too large of a turbo (with too high of a spool up time) on there.

The only thing you have to worry about is extra maintence. Actually, for highway/freeway drivin to and from work a turbo is ideal- your gas milage goes through the roof because you're never spooling, and have a ton more hp than before.
Doge
The 3s is perfectly fine for a DD...the turbos are small, and if you get an OEM BPV from a st205 or SW20, it will direct most of the air around the turbo during "off boost," which will ensure the prolonged life of the turbo and the engine.
boosted_K2
QUOTE (Doge @ Jul 21, 2004 - 11:32 PM)
The 3s is perfectly fine for a DD...the turbos are small, and if you get an OEM BPV from a st205 or SW20, it will direct most of the air around the turbo during "off boost," which will ensure the prolonged life of the turbo and the engine.

BPV doesnt vent around the turbo. the internal flapper wastegate does that.
Jeremy1210
whats a BPV?
turboinduction
Bypass Valve

EDIT: to further explain

A BPV is a modern day BOV (blow-off valve). Instead of sending air out the BOV when the throttle body is closed (like shifting) the BPV will recirculate the air back into the pipe after the MAF. The MAF already accounted for the air that went through the first time, so if you have a BOV and lose alot of air through it.. you have the chance of running rich. A BPV is completely silent whereas the BOV gush of air that you hear "the turbo make" after you shift.
Doge
QUOTE (boosted_K2 @ Jul 21, 2004 - 9:40 PM)
QUOTE (Doge @ Jul 21, 2004 - 11:32 PM)

BPV doesnt vent around the turbo. the internal flapper wastegate does that.

The wastegate prevents overboots K2. When too much exhaust is flowing it opens to prevent the turbo from choking and causing damage to both the engine and the turbo. The OEM BPV off of an ST205 or a SW20 bypasses the turbo at low RPMS, by doing this it keeps the turbo from spooling when it isnt needed. This in no way harms performance and only helps the longevity of the engine and turbo. There are no other BOVs or BPVs that have this "off-boost" mode, that is why the OEM BPV is considered the best option for the 3sgte.

If you want more info go here

Edit: Oh and turboinduction, its a Bypass Valve...not a Back Pressure Valve
turboinduction
lol, I meant Bypass. BPV (Back Pressure Valve) is a term used on diesel trucks... which I sell. I was thinking one thing and typed another. I'll change it wink.gif. My explaination was for a Bypass Valve though.
nik
i drive my car all the time and its turbo tongue.gif no problem yet biggrin.gif
Doge
Haha...yeah I figured you knew and just didn't realize you wrote it...back pressure valve sounds like it would be right since they operate on pressure fluctuations...I wasn't trying to make you sound stupid or anything, you odviously know what you're talking about.
Supersprynt
Turbos are fine for daily driving, they require more love tho.
Subaru makes what 4 or 5 turbo cars?
Saab makes a bunch of turbo cars.
Audi/VW have turbos, these arent performance machines (except for the STI) that are intended or DD.
turboinduction
I agree with everyone (since you all disagreed with me) that turbos can be DD. However, given a choice... I'd go with a N/A. Theres no advantage for a DD turbo over a N/A. Its always on boost and short trips of a DD with just destroy an engine. Dont jump on that. Now some turbos are ok, but seldom. If I had a controller to only run 5psi during DD.... hit me up. But if I had to run 16psi everyday like I did in my old eclispe... count me out. She sat at home til the weekends. Again... its just circumstances.

edit: thx doge
nik
QUOTE (turboinduction @ Jul 22, 2004 - 11:40 AM)
I agree with everyone (since you all disagreed with me) that turbos can be DD. However, given a choice... I'd go with a N/A. Theres no advantage for a DD turbo over a N/A. Its always on boost and short trips of a DD with just destroy an engine. Dont jump on that. Now some turbos are ok, but seldom. If I had a controller to only run 5psi during DD.... hit me up. But if I had to run 16psi everyday like I did in my old eclispe... count me out. She sat at home til the weekends. Again... its just circumstances.

edit: thx doge

yeah 5 psi for around town little trips then boost it up on the weekends smile.gif
jgreening
I am not an expert. That said, the technical guys over at mr2oc.com (Bill and others) maintain that you can set your jdm 3sgte on 14-15psi and "forget it" and it will have no adverse affect on engine longevity. Of course, you need to deal with the fuel cut issue.
Supersprynt
QUOTE (turboinduction @ Jul 22, 2004 - 2:40 PM)
Its always on boost and short trips of a DD with just destroy an engine.

Short trips will destoy an engine? Turbos dont destroy engines, people do.
Turbo engines are designed to be driving everyday, with a TURBO ATTACHED.

Unless your turning the boost up beyond safe limits, you can drive it everyday.
neoklis
just to sum up.
the turbo is o.k for d/d but boosting all the time will be harmful for the longevity of the engine. having a boost controller and setting up the low boost on 5-7 will be safer for the engine and prolly save money on gas aswell ?

i've thinking about this for some time and i would like to have an answer to see whether i am getting a boost controller.
kuya1284
I've been boosting 15 lbs for a long time now... DD... in traffic also, and no problems.

My brother has been boosting his MR2 at 14.5 for about 3 years now... no problems.

rolleyes.gif to people who think otherwise about a daily driven boosted car...
Supersprynt
For real, boost doesnt = bad. If it did, turbo cars wouldnt be massed produced and sold to millions of people.
o8poa8o
aren't all diesel or more diesel trucks and cars turbo'ed? and most diesel are more economic then gasoline vehicals (more lowend torque, better gas mileage)
tufy
i am driving my car all day with no proplem. i love to drive my babe all day. it worths every penny that i pay for petrol. turbo cars need extra care thats all. and they ll coast you more then a family cars coast.
Supersprynt
There are diesel turbos but then there are just regular diesel.
Diesel is unrefined gas, its somewhere around ~50 octane.
Doge
I thought all deisels were turbo'd, thats how they get thier output up to par with gas engines. I know all the BIG deisels are turbo'd
shid
Yeah, they even have BOVs. hehe

it's awesome to pull up next to a giant bus and hear: PSSSHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIISSSSSSSS as it shifts

at least, it sounds like a BOV smile.gif
turboinduction
Turbo guys can have them as DD if they'd like. I drove around turbo'd DSMS for 3 years before my Celica. But, Turbos are not good daily drivers. They CAN be used for them, but moreorless... turbos are meant for play. No one expects the Evo VIII to be a grocery getter, nor was the GT-4, GSX, Supra, Skyline, and numerous others. These are sports cars. I'm saying that these cars shouldn't be used as a DD if others are an option. And yes diesels are turbos with BOVs. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.