Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '96 ST HB ATX vs. '95 Eclipse RS MTX
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
Hym3n
WARNING: Street racing is illegal and can lead to jailtime, injuries, or even death. I do not support nor condone illegal street racing.

Good friend of mine just got his license. He'd been [re]building a repo'ed Eclipse with his Grandad for the past few months and telling me about it at school all the time. Apparently the only thing wrong with the car was the interior, so they took a whole lot of stuff from junkyards, etc, and repaired a few damaged internals. Front and rear bumpers were both trashed, so he got a F/R bodykit (I certainly didn't think it looked nice, but hey, it's not my car!) and had it well-painted. New wheels running on Ecsta Supras (who ISN'T on those tires these days.. not me I suppose). The car overall looked to be in pretty good shape considering they paid roughly ~$2k for it.

My car, on the other hand, isn't in such good shape right now, infact she's probably pretty pissed at me. In the past six months I've driven 10k miles, revved it up as high as I can with it's automatic transmission probably 80% of the time, and to my recent discovery, began to burn oil. It's nothing serious though, and only occurs when I rev it up more than 'normal driving', so I really don't think it's of any concern. Due for my next oil change in just over a thousand miles, so I'd say that I'm down a quart right now. My tires haven't been rotated in almost ten thousand miles, yes, it's bad, I know, and all four are probably down 5-6psi from how I usually drive them (running very close to the tire's limits). I have a trunk full of fireworks combined with my ginormous sub box that weighs roughly 50 pounds. I myself weigh nearly 200lbs., and the driver of the Eclipse is very very thin.

He was driving with one passenger, and I calculate our cars' weight differences as right around 400 pounds, since he has heavier wheels and the body kit, and because I'm running below my [E]mpty light on gas and he's likely at half to full tank. Might I add, since he's a new driver, he's still learning how to effectively shift in a race, so that played a major role in the outcome of the races--he's considered a 'bad driver' at this point.

1st run - Going through a 40mph zone and he flashes his lights. Both of our windows are down, and we just take off at the same time. Started at 35, I just punch it (automatic..) and hold on tight. There's a twist in the road, but it's nothing bad. I hit the brakes when I hit 85mph and was still 3/4 car in front of him. He was right in my blind spot.

2nd run - I explain to him the 'three honks' system (again, new driver), and he says sure. We're going on the highway at 65mph (one of the few good pull mph's for an automatic [65-83]), I honk three times and take off. He doesn't. I find out after the fact that he accidently went into fourth when he meant to do third frown.gif

3rd run - Back through the 40mph zone (he was dropping someone off), and I go for the three honks again. I get an immediate pull forward but as he shifts he begins to reel me in a bit. I kept it up until 80mph as we came up on a stop light at which there were several cars. I won by.. not sure how you would say it. There was zero distance between our two cars, my back bumper was his headlights. So I guess that's 'one carlength'?

Anyways, we drove back together (at safe speeds..) and I said good races, went on home. I'll give him a month before he's tearing me a new one. 140hp MTX > 105hp ATX... especially when I'm only getting 84 to the wheels.. smile.gif

-Brian
moltar
Is that 84 to the wheels a dyno proven fact? That sucks you lose about 15 more HP with an auto frown.gif
97Celica
My grandpa can beat an Eclipse...but..then again..he drives a 500hp Mercedez..aha
Hym3n
I ran an 18.954 at the 1320. Using horsepower calculators online, I usually get 84-85whp. I DIDN'T power brake, and I was running half a tank of gas, with my car in 'daily driving' form (sub, spare tire, jack..) so I think that I could get a 18.5 if I was to do it right, but for now 84hp is just right. And I don't lose 15 MORE hp with an auto, probably 5-6, it's the acceleration that suffers. To the best of my knowledge, GT's dyno 94-96whp, therefore I don't see an ST getting much higher when it's rated at 105bhp compared to a GT's 135bhp.

-Brian
moltar
Sorry, I must have had my information wrong.. but I was pretty sure STs dynoed at around 99/100 to the wheels. Maybe wrong, but for some reason I had that figure in my head.
moltar
Also, depending on the year, STs have some more power. A couple years they had 115bhp if i remember correctly.
Hym3n
94-95 ST : 110bhp
94-95 GT : 140bhp
96-97 ST : 105bhp
96-99 GT : 135bhp

As far as I'm aware, the ST wasn't produced in 98-99.

-Brian
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.