Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Forced Induction idea
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
subsolo_21
Ok, heres my idea. Build an electric blower that produces 5-7 pounds of boost and is powered by the car's battery. It can be turned on or off by a switch in the car and it blows air directly into the intake manifold. There would be an intake tube that splits off into a "Y". The blower attaches to one leg and a filter to the other, just like it would w/ a normal short ram intake. This way when the blower isn't in use the air can be taken in through the leg with only the filter so there wouldn't be the problem of air blockage like with sucky cheap electric fan turbos (i.e. the turbonator). Then when the blower is switched on it would force extra air into the intake.

So there it is. I have a rough sketch of the idea in my profile. Please give me some input:suggestions, concerns, reasons it wouldn't work, good, bad, whatever. Thanx. No flaming please.
FAQdaWorld
Wouldnt work, you cant create enought air pressure for it to make any difference what so ever. Theres only one electric supercharger that i've ever seen that would actually work, and it was designed so that it could only run for a few seconds (because it used so much electricity it drained the batteries that fast). You're not gonna get anywhere w/ an electric fan and 12 volt power PERIOD. You're better off just gettin a real turbo charger, anything that claims to give you boost pressure off of 12volt power is just bs.
FAQdaWorld
PS, i didnt mean to flame you or w/e but thats just the solid truth.
subsolo_21
Its cool i understand. I have my serious doubts its just an idea I'm toying with, any ideas on how I could get more power for an electric one? I have a 6.5 hp blower already that puts out quite a bit of air, but its made for ac current, so i'd have to get a converter and it would put a big drain on my battery, but I was thinking of getting a second battery to power it.
orvillescelica
beyond the doubts to the electric blower itself, i see a big problem with the 'Y' inlet design. Assuming that the blower did produce your target 5 psi of pressure, much of that pressure will be lost to feedback through the other leg of the Y that just has the filter. Yes, some pressure will be drawn into the engine, but at least half or more will be lost back to the atmosphere out through the filter. Essentialy, the short ram part of the desgin will start shooting air out as soon as you turned on the electric blower.
Hanyo
i was going to say the same thing about othe y connection..

But didn't those old datsuns use to have electric blowers on there inline 6?
playr158
just put the blower in the middle of the pipe.......and would it be possible to connect it straight to the altenator so there would be no batter drain
SlowCelica94
sounds like the leaf blower mod. Last time I was at the track, a cvic w/o a hood was in the burnout contest and had the leaf0blower-charger mod
FAQdaWorld
A turbocharger spins at about 150,000 rpm to be able to create boost pressure. I'm sorry but I just highly doubt that any air compressor / blower you have is gonna be able to flow enough air to provide any boost whatsoever.

From what i have seen (on dyno sheet) the best you can ever possibly hope to see would be around 3 hp... ISH. And even then thats pretty iffy, it could just be the dyno not registering right, and there are pleny of other easier things you can do that will definitely give gains over this. Iono its up to you I guess, but i think a lot of others are gonna agree w/ me when i say that this definitely wont work...

-Ryan
Supersprynt
This has already been done. Also, there are ALOT of electric superchargers, but its a supercharger not a turbo.
o8poa8o
i've seen a commercail for like a "TORNADO" something and i think its suppose to be like an electric supercharger, and if they can sell enough to have enough money to make a commercail i think there doing something right.
uzthedentist
youd also totally destroy your air fuel ratio, the ecu wouldnt be able 2 cope
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.