Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Radiator Fan?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
speedracer_2020
So suprisingly my radiator burst! I had no clue, why, but it did. Turns out it was due to the radiator fans not spinning.

Aside from the fan motor, and fan relay..... any other reasons why it woudn't kick in?

It's frustrating, almost blew another rad!

Someone said thermostat? I have no clue how much that would cost? Is that an easy fix? Would that even relate to the fan not kicking in. I'm baffled when it comes to this part of the car. lol

Thanks,

Shaun
Fingaz
lol that happened to my friends civic. something in there bent and it wouldnt turn on. eventually his engine caught on fire at a party. funniest thing i've ever seen. but i think its fixable.

good luck
Anub1s
If its the thermostat its a really easy fix. Takes the experienced mechanic like 5-10 minutes. Just look at a instruction manual. The radiator might have burst becuase the thermostat was stuck closed which would cause a lot of pressure in the cooling system, causing the said result. The thermostat should be replaced while you are in there anyways, they cost like $5-10 and like I said are relatively easy to install. Just make sure the engine is cool when you do it wink.gif. Hope that helps.
speedracer_2020
Thanks for the input guys! I've left the car with a mechanic (not mine, because it wasa holiday here in Canada, and I scrounged around to find someone closeby and open)

So hopefully tomorrow they'll have found out -- he said he's thinking it's the thermostat .. otherwise the actually fan itself. Who knows.

I hope it can be fixed, or I'm just getting a new car

(grrrr.. everyone has that I WANT A NEW CAR mood when something goes wrong.. lol)
Junior
hey, where in toronto are you? I'm at DonMills and Finch. Anywayz, if its your thermostat, get a failsafe one as a replacement. If it goes, it'll stay open and your fan will be on 24/7. This way your motor won't blow.
speedracer_2020
QUOTE (Junior @ Aug 2, 2004 - 8:10 PM)
hey, where in toronto are you? I'm at DonMills and Finch. Anywayz, if its your thermostat, get a failsafe one as a replacement. If it goes, it'll stay open and your fan will be on 24/7. This way your motor won't blow.

Awesome.. I'll make sure I look into that! Thanks for the heads up!

And, I'm actually just west in Mississauga! Near Square One, but I'm always meeting clients out east for work (mostly Markham, damn Tech sector)

lol .. Where do you get parts when you need stuff? I always have a hel of a time with pricing (too high) and availability (never in stock) from Toyota directly.

I've had to be ultra resourceful..

Junior
I have really needed any parts. But the few things I needed I got the shop my friend used to work at to order everything. I was only charge wholesale price. In some case I barely saved anything.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.