Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Insurance
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Yota
I'm trying to gauge an estimate on how much more money I'll have to pay after swapping in the 3S-GTE. Does anybody mind sharing what there premiums are?

I pay $690 every 6 months... Is it a huge cost jump once you've swapped a turbo motor into your car?
shid
Err, you plan on telling your insurance?!

As far as I know, NO ONE will insure it.
Yota
What would happen if I didn't tell them and they found out?
Anub1s
Insurance is gone. Plus how would they find out unless you told them? They don't even check your car unless you are in a wreck and in that case its too late for them.
obi1kinob
Some companies will not cover cars with any type of forced induction. When you get your quote you usually tell them the aftermarket stuff you have and I think that will allow it to be under coverage if its acceptable. I am not sure about this because I have never seen anyone list any aftermarket on their quotes. They always list as stock and list any damages if there are any (like dents that are already there, etc).

If you don't, and you get wrecked, they will cover what was listed, a stock 6th gen celica. If someone cracks open your jdm tails with a bat, you're gonna get stock replacements.

I'd ask your agent about their coverage for aftermarket and forced induction stuff.
Yota
So insurance companies will insure a 93 MR2T...But they won't insure that same motor in my Celica? That doesn't make any sense to me.. And if insurance companies won't insure the vehicle that the swap is performed, that means they're driving an uninsured car (which is illegal), then how could JARCO sell motors for street use here..
HaRv3sTeR
QUOTE (Yota @ Aug 7, 2004 - 11:39 PM)
I'm trying to gauge an estimate on how much more money I'll have to pay after swapping in the 3S-GTE. Does anybody mind sharing what there premiums are?

I pay $690 every 6 months... Is it a huge cost jump once you've swapped a turbo motor into your car?

pfff

I pay over 4000$CAN/year for my insurances ...and the worse in all that it's that I have only the small protection (cover only the other car...not mine)

beat that
Yota
do you have a good driving history?
shid
QUOTE (Yota @ Aug 8, 2004 - 6:15 AM)
So insurance companies will insure a 93 MR2T...But they won't insure that same motor in my Celica? That doesn't make any sense to me.. And if insurance companies won't insure the vehicle that the swap is performed, that means they're driving an uninsured car (which is illegal), then how could JARCO sell motors for street use here..

It makes perfect sense, if I was an insurance agent, I wouldn't insure a car that wasn't US safety tested. Which is any celica with a 3sgte model stuck in
Yota
but all celicas were built to hold the 3s... Are you saying that it would be better to not say anything at all?
shid
Uhm, no; thats not how insurance companies will see it.

The ST was built for the 7afe engine, it has drum brakes in the back.

The GT was built for the 5sfe engine; 4 wheel disc

the GT4 was built for the 3sgte with AWD; and different brakes.

Mixing and matching, is NOT allowed; and stupid from any insurance persons standpoint- insuring one would be stupid.

Yes, better to say nothing at all.
HaRv3sTeR
QUOTE (Yota @ Aug 8, 2004 - 6:59 AM)
do you have a good driving history?

1 speeding ticket...that's it

but I paid that price since I got the car (before that)
Digndoug
DONT TELL THEM.. There is no reason to tell them you swaped another engine in. Cause if you wreck it, I doubt that they'll even know the dif.. an if you wreck it, buy it back so you can keep the engine.. simple as that..
Jeremy1210
hey man its a veer ysimple process. Call the insurance company and tell them that you are interested in getting insurance on a cara you are thniking about buying. Tell them that the celica has the 90-93 celica engine swapped into it. They will prolly charge you the same for a 90-93 turbo celica..maybe a lil more b/c the body is newer. Just call and ask its not that big a deal
Yota
Well, lets say I decide to not tell them and they find out because I wreck the car.. Will they not insure my car at all and I'm just SOL? Or would insure everything but the motor? I can understand that if I total my celica, I would be in line to get a check written for the amount my car was worth STOCK. am I right when I say that all the mods I have on my car, wouldn't be reimbursed because its aftermarket? If my 17" enkei RS6 rims got stolen tomorrow, they wouldn't be covered, right? Is that what would happen if they found out about the 3SGTE being in my car? Or would they just flat out drop my coverage?
Jeremy1210
you ar correct. your rims will not be covered unless you told them. As for the engine swap, if its not your fault the other insurance company could not have to pay since its not listed.

Your beest bet is to just call your insurance company. No one here is your insurance agent so we will not know the answer 100%.
shid
but people on here have tried; even ask Coomer- his insurance agent laughed at him.
Yota
I understand that Jeremy, but I find it hard to believe that EVERY car thats been modified, has done so without their insurance knowing about it. Everyone who has replied to this thread hasn't told their insurance agent about their swap. I am only trying to figure out the consequences for not doing so, should they find out I have done a swap without them knowing..

sphinx
The insurance company will only ask you the basic details of your car. Then they will take a few pictures of the outside (body) of the car. After that, you sign on the dotted line, you pay, and you're insured.

If you happen to tell them that you have a different motor, then they will ask which motor, and then verify by looking under the hood. If they notice that it's a turbo charged motor, they will, without a shadow of a doubt, say " HELL NO".

This is what you have to do. You swap your engines, and you DON'T, and I mean DON't tell them anything about the new engine. If you do that, you should be fine.

=)
shid
As for after the accident, they won't know or care that you swapped the motor. You'll get stock price for it (unless you insured aftermarket rims, stereo, etc) and that will be that.

Unless the CT26 flies out of the car and decapitates someone. THat might lead to problems.
Yota
Would they drop my insurance if they found out about the motor? Or would I just get stock price for it?
shid
Stock price; unless your motor caused the accident, etc etc.. but then, thats the only reason they'd find out about the motor
RedSunCelica
best thing to do is not tell them. and if someone cracks lets say a JDM tail light. just tell the dealer that you want a OEM straight from toyota. seeing as how toyota OEM things cost an arm and a leg youll make your money back and get a new set of JDM Tails.
obi1kinob
Well I did some digging around my company.

Most insurance companies will not cover any aftermarket items such as rims, audio, etc. These things are classified under special items and you must get one of those applications with your agent just for the special items. This Will raise your premium. It will be like having an application for your car and one for your aftermarket ****. This information doesn't include swapped engines. I have no idea if there is any type of special coverage for swapped engines.

But I do know that normal coverage will not include swapped engines, reguardless of if it has forced induction.
Yota
Well then if they don't know about my suspension, rims and stereo and other stuff...i think a motor swap wouldn't make much of a difference
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.