Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It runs!
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
jgreening
I had to share - I got the word today. The beast runs! All that is left is FMIC and piping, exhaust, intake fabrication and guages. I may be doing some chassis stiffening too...smiles. My wait is almost over!
Akimbo
Whoa...3S vert! Nice. let us know how the chasis works.
Coomer
Awesome! biggrin.gif That was pretty quick.

So it should be back on the road pretty soon then? I can't wait to see it. smile.gif
Supersprynt
Hey i got 2 questions maybe u could ask ur mechanic or maybe u know off hand regarding the E153 tranny.

1. does the S54 speed sensor work with the E153 tranny or do they have to be swapped?
2. Does the motor mount on the E153 work ok with the GT?

I'd appreciate it because my tranny was SUPPOSE to come to day but bad weather may have delayed it a day.
sinner96ST
come up to northern illinois if you can some time.. i know some toyheads that would love to see that beast in action.
jgreening

Erik, I know the answer to this one. You need one additional mount.

I will ask him about the speed sensor. Did you find an E-153 with LSD?

Jay.
shid
Who did the wiring?
Supersprynt
QUOTE (jgreening @ Aug 11, 2004 - 4:24 PM)

Jay.

Yeah I am awaiting the arrival of a 93 MR2T tranny with LSD, i have the St185 tranny waiting so i can convert over the necessary parts, and i have both sets of axles to make the hybrid ones. I also have a Clutchmasters Stage 4 waiting also.

Can you elaborate on the additional mount? Does the existing one need to be moved or swapped out for a GT mount?
acenova
HOw much did the swap cost including cost of 3S and all necessary parts and cost of install w/ mechanic???
sphinx
QUOTE (Supersprynt @ Aug 11, 2004 - 1:31 PM)
QUOTE (jgreening @ Aug 11, 2004 - 4:24 PM)

Jay.

Yeah I am awaiting the arrival of a 93 MR2T tranny with LSD, i have the St185 tranny waiting so i can convert over the necessary parts, and i have both sets of axles to make the hybrid ones. I also have a Clutchmasters Stage 4 waiting also.

Can you elaborate on the additional mount? Does the existing one need to be moved or swapped out for a GT mount?

I can finally help someone on this board.
biggrin.gif

question 1 : Does the S54 speed sensor work with the E153 tranny or do they have to be swapped?

The speed sensor from the s54 will NOT work. You have to use the speed sensor from the original st185 (all trac) tranny. Then it should work.

question 2 : Does the motor mount on the E153 work ok with the GT?

As for motor mounts. To my understanding, when using the E153 tranny, you have to use the Front, Rear, and Left side (the one that bolts to the tranny) mounts and motor mounts brackets from a ST205. You also need to either get ST205 shifter cables, or modify them because they are a LIL too short.

Atleast, that's what EL Prototype told me. I guess the reason they tell you to get the motor mounts and motor mount brackets, is because with out them, the motor leans forward a lil, and because of that, the axels wont be making perfect contact. They will be rubbing at an angle, and can eventually **** up the gears inside the tranny. That's what I understood he said.

If anything, call them up and talk to Erik. He's the one who does that E153 tranny swap for others
Supersprynt
ha my names Erik too, confused me at first cuz not alot of ppl spell it with a K.

Heres my situation, I already have the engine in, i've had it for a year now so swapping out other motor mounts isnt an option. I mean other ppl have dropped in the 3rd gen 3s and used existing GT mounts, so they either are the same, or differ only slightly.

I have shifter cables from an ST185, which should be good.

I havent read anything on changing all the motor mounts to do a tranny swap except for the tranny mount.
lagos
jgreening,

wow that was fast . what did your mechanic do about the wiring? how much more work needs to be done before you get the car back?
jgreening
Who did the wiring?

I am having the whole swap, including the wiring, done by a professional mechanic.

Can you elaborate on the additional mount?

I have read other posts several months ago that suggested that different parts from an alltrac could be used but I am 80% sure that mine has one custom fabricated mount.

what did your mechanic do about the wiring?

I am not sure what you mean - but I do have air conditioning if thats what you are asking. I am going to be installing an aftermarket cruise control because I like having my foot off the gas when I am getting rh. wink.gif

how much more work needs to be done before you get the car back?

All that is left for the engine swap is FMIC and piping, exhaust, intake fabrication and guages. When I get the car back, I am installing a strut bar (DG Performance), J speed side tower connectors, and an underbody brace for chassis stiffening. I am kicking around the idea of a non-obtrusive 4 point roll cage - probably custom.

This winter I am getting my seats fixed, getting a clean body kit and a nice paint job.

I am leaving open the possibility of also some power upgrades but I want to see how the 3s at 14psi does. Quite frankly, it just might be enough.

- Jay

lagos
you are very lucky to have been able to find a mechanic with the skill to rewire the whole harness correctly and do a swap in such a short period of time.

most mechanics i know could do the laybor, but run away as soon as u say the word "harness".
rsos1
Hey how much did u pay for your front clip? What is the name of the shop thats doing your swap, and where do you live in IL. I live in Decatur IL.
neoklis
congrats, let us know when it finishes and how it runs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.