Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: blow off valve leak
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Ryu3x16
ok... so i got my blitz dd blow off valve... but it has a leak... frown.gif frown.gif
is there any way to fix it?... i heard that lubricating the spring will fix the leak..
any help would be appreciated
Ryu-
uzthedentist
how do you know it has a leak?
Supersprynt
I believe those have seals, might wanna check those.

Why did you ever change from the SSQV? Its better quality, better sounding and cant leak.
uzthedentist
just never heard of a blitz leaking.
boosted_K2
ya, if you still have that HKS throw that back on, the SSQV will NEVER leak and has a MUCH faster response
Supersprynt
K2 are u still using stock BPV? I hear thats just as good as the SSQV, same pully type valve.
sphinx
actually the stock BPV on the MR2 and of a DSM are good. But if you want to to aftermarket, then HKS is your best beat because of its dual stage pull type relief valve.

Which means, no leaking.
specialchowmain
you could not use a blow off valve. since the computer thinks that boost is there and your letting it go into the atmosphere, if you got a inverter valve instead it would keep all the boost in and you would'nt have to worry about so much turbo lag between shifts. the only thing a bov is good for are sounds effects.
recneps
QUOTE (specialchowmain @ Sep 24, 2004 - 7:24 AM)
you could not use a blow off valve. since the computer thinks that boost is there and your letting it go into the atmosphere, if you got a inverter valve instead it would keep all the boost in and you would'nt have to worry about so much turbo lag between shifts. the only thing a bov is good for are sounds effects.

well they keep your psi from going up to like 22 psi when you want to engage a gear.

but they do sound pretty cool
Supersprynt
huh? How does BOV keep your psi from shooting up? Boost control is the WGs job, not bov. BOV are initiated from vacuum, not boost.

As far as not using one, its not necessary however his computer knows nothing of the boost, since its aftermarket.

Explain what an inverter valve is, i've never heard of one. If you mean By-Pass Valve - then its the same thing as a BOV, except the excess air is re-routed into the intake.

A BOV is good for alot more than "sound effects." It helps increase spool up because the air is now not hitting the compressor wheel, slowing it down, and it helps turbo life, because of the same reason as before, the turbine wheel takes less punishment.
red_94gts
QUOTE (Supersprynt @ Sep 24, 2004 - 12:21 PM)
huh? How does BOV keep your psi from shooting up? Boost control is the WGs job, not bov. BOV are initiated from vacuum, not boost.

As far as not using one, its not necessary however his computer knows nothing of the boost, since its aftermarket.

Explain what an inverter valve is, i've never heard of one. If you mean By-Pass Valve - then its the same thing as a BOV, except the excess air is re-routed into the intake.

A BOV is good for alot more than "sound effects." It helps increase spool up because the air is now not hitting the compressor wheel, slowing it down, and it helps turbo life, because of the same reason as before, the turbine wheel takes less punishment.

i agree. compressor surge is a turbos worst enemy
boosted_K2
QUOTE (Supersprynt @ Sep 24, 2004 - 7:21 AM)

not entirely true. a BPV is a dual purpose valve.

it works on pressure changes. when your car is in vac, the valve is OPEN, which allows air to BYPASS the turbo and enter the intake piping behind the turbo allowing better air volume to flow less restricted into the engine. when you step on the gas and go from vac to boost, the BPV will close due to the change in pressure. it will remain closed allowing you to boost untill you let off the gas and the pressure changes again, at that time to BPV reopens and allows the pressurized air to exit back into the intake before the turbo. this allows the pressure to even out across the turbo, once it does, air continues to flow in through the BPV bypassing the turbo. This is why you CANNOT vent the factory BPV to the atmosphere. because under vac it allows unmetered air to enter the engine causing it to lean out and idle rough, eventually you will lean the car out to a stall. its BY FAR the best system over any aftermarket system, even the SSQV if you have a AFM.
Doge
Yeah K2 has it right.
The SSQV is a recirculating system, not a bypass system.
I've never heard of an aftermarket BPV... only BOVs that recirculate.
Have you K2?
boosted_K2
i believe i have seen aftermarket BPVs, but i dont remember exactly where they were at. people just dont get them usually because they dont sound cool lol

i just put a Blitz DD on my car, and though it sounds sweet and reacts really well, it is noticably slower transitioning from vac to boost and is not as steady at idle. i will most likely put the factory BPV back on soon.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.