Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what car would win at 1/4 mile?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
ArizonaRed
a 99 205 celi GT-4 250hp turbo AWD or a 05 Neon SRT-4 230hp turbo? No mods.
Hym3n
a) The Celica, you said it yourself.. it's more power, weighs roughly the same, and is AWD, so would certainly take it off the line.

b) That race would never happen IRL.

-brian
ArizonaRed
My GF is obsessed with neons and we were argueing about this. She says she hates my car but i know it isnt true.
drnovascotia
my money is on the Neon. less hp loss in FWD than AWD, and from what I read that 230hp is to the wheels, whereas the st205 is really around 210 to the wheels.

Hell, It's probably all about the driver in this one. I hope the celica would win, god I hate Neon's.

Dr.
shid
QUOTE (drnovascotia @ Sep 4, 2004 - 6:17 AM)
my money is on the Neon. less hp loss in FWD than AWD, and from what I read that 230hp is to the wheels, whereas the st205 is really around 210 to the wheels.

Hell, It's probably all about the driver in this one. I hope the celica would win, god I hate Neon's.

Dr.

The GT4 doesn't have THAT much power loss through the AWD setup to the wheels. Also, a FWD car will ALWAYS put down more to the wheels than an AWD car; but it doesn't friggin matter, because the FWD car just can't use it as efficienctly as an AWD car
97sccelica
QUOTE (shid @ Sep 3, 2004 - 10:55 PM)
QUOTE (drnovascotia @ Sep 4, 2004 - 6:17 AM)

Dr.

The GT4 doesn't have THAT much power loss through the AWD setup to the wheels. Also, a FWD car will ALWAYS put down more to the wheels than an AWD car; but it doesn't friggin matter, because the FWD car just can't use it as efficienctly as an AWD car

i drove a neon srt4 when looking for a car to buy

it cant plant the power, even when its the 04+ model with factory LSD

but

if both cars are driven properly, its a good race.
Ryu3x16
QUOTE (drnovascotia @ Sep 3, 2004 - 11:17 PM)

Dr.

oh gosh 230 whp? thats giving them too much credit...anyways, the spec you gave us is wrong.. the actual spec is
NEON srt4:
HP: 215
Torque: 245 ft lbs
weight: 2939

and i say the celica would win.. biggrin.gif
-Ryu-
uzthedentist
the gt4 would destroy it up to 60 but up to the line i reckon the neon might just take it
Rjb23
Your kidding right?

First off the gt4 would kill the neon off the line, AWD=no wheel spin no matter what. My friend GSX he can pop the cluch at 6k and it just goes it doesn't even hesitate. The gt4 would be the same way. The neon will spin for a fraction of a second no matter how good the lauch is, by that time the gt4 will have at least 4 car lengths on the neon.
Hym3n
QUOTE (Rjb23 @ Sep 4, 2004 - 4:34 PM)
Your kidding right?

First off the gt4 would kill the neon off the line, AWD=no wheel spin no matter what. My friend GSX he can pop the cluch at 6k and it just goes it doesn't even hesitate. The gt4 would be the same way. The neon will spin for a fraction of a second no matter how good the lauch is, by that time the gt4 will have at least 4 car lengths on the neon.

Some big innacuracy there, even though I agree with your general point.

a) AWD can have serious wheelspin. Go hop in a 450+awhp car and you'll see what I mean.

b) The GT-4 won't get four carlengths before the SRT-4 stops spinning, more like one and a half to two.

-Brian
celicaspeed
neons suck ass!!!When you get in a neon do you hit you knee on the steering wheel.neon the dash.neon drivers are gaylords!!!But atleast they realized there cars suck ass and put in a turbo to give a calica some fun lighting there ass up
Rjb23
QUOTE (Hym3n @ Sep 4, 2004 - 10:42 PM)
QUOTE (Rjb23 @ Sep 4, 2004 - 4:34 PM)
Your kidding right?

Some big innacuracy there, even though I agree with your general point.

a) AWD can have serious wheelspin. Go hop in a 450+awhp car and you'll see what I mean.

b) The GT-4 won't get four carlengths before the SRT-4 stops spinning, more like one and a half to two.

-Brian

I've seen it in person. Not just against an srt4 but vs a civic hatch's(with swap), gs-t's with tons of up 300+ whp, integra rsx's.
Kwanza26
Just so you know... I've driven an SRT-4... and I personally think it's highly highly overrated...

Oh yeah... and for those who are guessing about AWD launches... unless you've tried... don't guess. It's hard to do correctly, and it's either a full-powered launch, or all-out lag and bog...
Shortty
Think Uz is right on this one - the four is prob going to win, but not by much. It'll take off a lot quicker, but the neon will catch up because of the massive drag of hte 4wd system

- estimated at 25% on the four: means its running about 190 to the wheels...

There is a clip around somewhere of a supra tt racing a four, bearing in mind the supra is ~320bhp, the four ~250bhp, and they both come in very close together.

But then you have to ask, which car looks better, drives better and is cheaper to buy - no contest!
o8poa8o
shortty you talking about the supra and gt4 when you say

"But then you have to ask, which car looks better, drives better and is cheaper to buy - no contest!"

personally a gt4 and supra both look great, from the front gt4 wins, from the rear supra wins, i dont know which one drives better lol never driven either, cheaper to buy? probably a gt4 in a country that accually gets them.....
Hym3n
QUOTE (Rjb23 @ Sep 4, 2004 - 4:55 PM)
I've seen it in person. Not just against an srt4 but vs a civic hatch's(with swap), gs-t's with tons of up 300+ whp, integra rsx's.

Not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with my point here, but I'll further clarify if I can. The cars that you listed are all FWD vehicles. AWD can have wheelspin, but to the best of my knowledge, no STOCK AWD car has any (again, I'm not certain on that one). However, find an AWD car with over 450 WHEEL horsepower, and you'll be able to see wheelspin without a doubt unless he's running all-out drag slicks.

-Brian
Rjb23
I'm disagreeing with your point b.
uzthedentist
Your kidding right?

I love it when people whom dont even have a gt4 comment on how it drives lol. wink.gif Ive seen an imported neon over here and it was pretty fast, but id easily kill it over straights and corners, however, as standard (stock) the gt4 would win but it would be much, much closer than you think

also ive had wheelspin in the wet wink.gif
uzthedentist
oh dear looks like im saying two different things lol
boosted_K2
i whole-heartedly agree with you uz, lol people who have never even seen the car in real life seem to know the car inside and out about how it drives or how it feels because they have a different version of it.

i dont disagree that it would most likely win when comparing the stats vs a SRT-4 and when comparing drivetrain tendencies, but trying to compare a car youve never seen let alone drive to a car that your friend has or that you have test driven is kind of rediculus.

and Arizonared could you please use a smaller sig. thanks.
uzthedentist
could that guys avatar be any more big??
Andason
QUOTE (boosted_K2 @ Sep 5, 2004 - 12:23 PM)

please leave things like that to pm

ive driven an alltrac and a neon srt and i think even the alltrac (st185) would take it.
Rjb23
QUOTE (boosted_K2 @ Sep 5, 2004 - 6:23 PM)
i whole-heartedly agree with you uz, lol people who have never even seen the car in real life seem to know the car inside and out about how it drives or how it feels because they have a different version of it.

i dont disagree that it would most likely win when comparing the stats vs a SRT-4 and when comparing drivetrain tendencies, but trying to compare a car youve never seen let alone drive to a car that your friend has or that you have test driven is kind of rediculus.

Ok then your saying the gt4 and a gsx are so different? They both have about the same HP are both AWD. I'm not saying that the srt4 is slow but most FWD are no match for an awd car with the same HP or close to the same in a quarter mile drag race.

How much does the gt4 weigh?
uzthedentist
Ok then your saying the gt4 and a gsx are so different? They both have about the same HP are both AWD. I'm not saying that the srt4 is slow but most FWD are no match for an awd car with the same HP or close to the same in a quarter mile drag race.

gt4 weighs 1380kgs, with abs and electric pack more like 1400+

By the way in youre haste youve forgotten about GEAR RATIOS.
uzthedentist

gt4 weighs 1380kgs, with abs and electric pack more like 1400+

By the way in youre haste youve forgotten about GEAR RATIOS. The gt4 is geared for acceleration. As stock it does drag after 100mph. My friend has a wrx that is the same power as my gt4 but mine is over half a a second quicker to 60mph.

not all awd are the same either. Have you seen the size of the rear torsen diff in the gt4? oh right no you havent because youve never seen one in real life.

by your reckoning these cars must all have the smae acceleration characteristics

GT4
Audi tt v6
Golf r32
wrx sti
evo
mitsubishi gto

trust me a gt4 and an r32 golf accelerate in totally different ways
Hym3n
QUOTE (uzthedentist @ Sep 5, 2004 - 3:41 PM)
mitsubishi gto

Ain't nothin' like seein' a 1.6 60' on one of those. That's the most amazing thing I've ever seen..

-Brian
Rjb23
Ok so your saying that a gt4 weighs in at alittle over 3000lbs. And a GSX that weighs in at 3681 lbs beats that Neon STR4 easily, the gt4 will almost lose to an srt4 when it is almost 600lbs lighter, and has more HP than a GSX which only has 210 hp?
snadman
No...the SRT4 will not win. I took my WRX when it was stock to race my friend's SRT4. The SRT4 I think is actually rated 230HP and 250ft/lb of torque and my Rex is 227HP and 217 ft/lb of torque. I raced him driving it twice and beat him by a car length each time. I then raced his car but against one of my friend's who is a very talented driver and he said he gave it all he had and I still won by half a carlength if not a little bit more.

The wheel spin on the SRT4 isnt the general issue...it's the wheel hop. The motor mounts are wretched and is normally one of the first things to be upgraded by the SRT4 owners that know what they're doing. My Rex beat that car and is rated at less HP and torque than the ST205. I say ST205.

EDIT
Good point on the gear ratios as well. The ST205 is geared for accelleration...but remember so is the SRT4. Remember it's claim to fame "The only car under $20,000 that can get to 60 mph in under 6 seconds." That's why it has so much torque. So in this particular instance, I think they are both geared relatively more toward accelleration so the comparison of gear ratios matters a bit less.

EDIT2
Here's the link on the Car and Driver website that shows the upgrades the the 04 model year. http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?se...article_id=7871
Rjb23
What year was the srt4? The 2k3 is 215hp and the 2k4 is 230 hp.
Seth6Gen
but how could the neon win when its broken on the side of the road?
Mike
lalalalalalalalala depends on driver lalalalalalalalalalalala
97sccelica
QUOTE (Rjb23 @ Sep 5, 2004 - 8:49 PM)
What year was the srt4? The 2k3 is 215hp and the 2k4 is 230 hp.

and both those are underrated.

the 215hp srt4 puts 230hp at the wheels
neoklis
The GT4 is not really made for quarter mile speed racing but for rallying. I believe we should discuss the same issue regarding a Swap Celi instead.
(both fwd)
phaqgm
QUOTE (Andason @ Sep 5, 2004 - 1:34 PM)
QUOTE (boosted_K2 @ Sep 5, 2004 - 12:23 PM)

please leave things like that to pm

ive driven an alltrac and a neon srt and i think even the alltrac (st185) would take it.

I know this is a Celica website, but there is no way that an ST185 would take an SRT4 stock for stock. I know a person who ran the following time just 2 weekends ago in a bone stock SRT4 (less than 1000 miles on the odometer).

13.936 @ 100.15mph 2.177 60'

Honestly, I don't know if an ST205 can beat an SRT4 in a 1/4 mile drag race either. It'd be close any way you look at it, and it would most definately come down to the driver. I can tell you that last year I beat an SRT4 in my 1994 Eclipse GSX (MBC set to 14psi, and a K&N) at the track, but against the one that I listed above, I would've lost by .07 of a second.
racingmcfly
I would say it would be down to the driver between the two. Still the figures show the neon does 60 in 5.6 and a st205 is 6.1s

Ive got an ST205, and its weakness at launches is the standard clutch. You get a decent clutch in there and it will do it a lot quicker. Too many revs will just cook the clutch, then it will be slipping in 2nd, you'll have a job to spin the wheels, its running a LSD as standard on the rear. Another point, the boost is limited in 1st and 2nd, remove that aswell, and its getting faster!! FWD draging?? vs 4wd? no contest
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.