Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 94 ST Engine Knocking?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
MK153
This morning I started my car to go to Wal-Mart and I noticed that the engine was knocking quite a bit. Ive never noticed any sort of knocking previous to today. Im not sure if what is happening directly correlated to the engine but Im assuming it is. What exactly does this mean? Also it isnt directly related with engine speed. It will knock at the same rate as the engine speed but it isnt consistant. Like if I rev it to 3,000RPM like 3 times the knocking pattern is diffrent every time. My car likes to eat oil, I dont know where it goes as it doesnt smoke or leak. But regardless I have to fill up my oil resivoir like every 3 weeks. It was low on oil this morning. I now have the oil back to a normal level but it still knocks.

Does anyone know what this means and what i have to do to fix it?
urbandork
My car did the same thing and i thought it was a colapsed piston not a rod knock, because it didnt knock at idle and only started knocking at 2000 to 3000 rpm range. However when i turned the car in to the warranty shop i was told it was a bad crank. So the crank was replaced and the knock stoped.

I got it back and it still ate oil and on top of that some how while it was in the shop a motor mount in the back borke and it started to leaking tranny fluid from the axel.
So after having it back for a week i had to turn it back in. I spoke to the guy of the shop on the phone and from what it sounds like they only took care of the the axel tranny leak cus he didnt mention anything about the mount and when i asked about why my engine was eating oil up he said "o well we rebuilt it and the engine needs time to seat" even tho they just replaced the bottom end grrrr?

N e way sorry for that long story lol i guess i needed to vent.
MK153
So did yours do it suddenly one day?

How much did this cost you? (Our your dealer if it was under warranty).
urbandork
it started knocking on the way home on the freeway. Luckily just as i got off at my exit. I dont have the reciept with me but as soon as i can ill post the price of the crank kit they installed
MK153
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?Loki|19968

If you click on the celicaknock file you should be able to hear what it sounds like.
MK153
BUMP

Anyone else have any ideas?
Rjb23
What part of the engine is the knock coming from? Check your pulleys and make sure they are all on good not missing any bolts. If its not that it may be valve related. Did you have your timing belt done recently? It may be one of the plastic guards hitting one of the belts too.
MK153
QUOTE (Rjb23 @ Sep 6, 2004 - 3:37 AM)
1. What part of the engine is the knock coming from? 2. Check your pulleys and make sure they are all on good not missing any bolts. 3. If its not that it may be valve related. 4. Did you have your timing belt done recently? 5. It may be one of the plastic guards hitting one of the belts too.

1. It sounds like its behind the spark plugs but its kinda hard to tell.
2. Do you mean the pulleys on the left side of the engine? The belts seem very firm and everything. BTW a few weeks ago my belt were squealing, I dont know why as they were tight enough.
3. Every once and a while when I start my car it shoots a plumbe of blue smoke out the tailpipe, I was told that this was valve related - could that be related to this? Could getting the oil changed help?
4. I really dont know... ive had the car since I gave up my SVX last winter and I havent done it. I could call the old owner because he was a friend of mine, but Im doubting that he had it replaced unless it broke.
5. This I kinda doubt, because the noise is very metalic sounding.

Thank you soo much for your help, please keep it coming.
MK153
Anyone else have any opinions to share??

I really appreciate your help.
exxtractor
Could be as simple as bad fuel, a low octane can cuase engine knocking.... if you bought sme crappy fuel, and they mixed it with water this could be the problem. Go to a Chevron, Texaco, or Mobil-1 and buy some 94 Octane, and before that put a bottle of Penzoil or Valvoline Gas Treatment which removes water.
MK153
Nope not that... i just went up and got 93 and put in STP Gas Treatment. Still there...

But thank you for your input.

I appreciate any input that I recieve.
MK153
So Doge and I have pretty much assumed its a rod bearing. Everyone has been saying that it would be cheaper for me to get a new block. My question is what engine do you all think I should put in. I know everyone will say a 3S, but I dont have that kind of money. If I just wanted to get it running with another 7a how much would it run? And also, what all would I need to replace if I put a GT (5S or 5A?) engine in here?
MK153
Anyone have any thoughts on what this would cost?

Thanks in Advance.
bufferdan
check out www.car-parts.com for a used engine. You can probably pick one up for a few hundred dollars.
MK153
Thanks, cheapest I could find a complete was $800.

I took my car to Toyota today... they said they are booked throughout the week and they could get me in for a Diagnostic Check on friday at 1PM...

The mechanic said that they would take off the valve cover to determine if there is alot of gunk in there he said in some cases the oil turns into tar. Has anyone ever heard of this? He said its mainly common on Toyota's minivan.

So basicly what Im asking is what you all think.. do you think I should sell my celica in its current state? How much would it be worth then? Or should I bite the bullet and get a new engine?
MK153
duplicate post
MK153
Well its offical... the rod bearing is demolished. Now my question is what do you all think I should do? Put in the 5S-FE or the 7A-FE. Id really like the extra power but I dont know if everything (tranny, accessories and wires) hook into the engine the same. How much is the going rate for labor to change out engines? Ive found a 7A-FE (just the engine) close enough to me that I could pick it up for $850 with 77k on it.

Sorry this isnt an exciting post about a 3S-GTE but all the same its something that I need fixed.

Thanks in Advance for you replies.
MK153
I found my engine, 30 miles away from me for $1400 installed with 19K on it.

Do you think that all sounds about right?

Thanks for your help.
blkGT
that sounds good. 7a? 19k miles means you have a hell of a long life left on her. perfect for a custom turbo. just make sure its documented so when u go to resell the car!
MK153
Yeah, its a 7A... Ill make sure to get the documentation, thanks alot for the tip.
blkGT
QUOTE (MK153 @ Sep 9, 2004 - 8:42 PM)
Yeah, its a 7A... Ill make sure to get the documentation, thanks alot for the tip.

seriously tho. 19k miles is perfect for boosting. engine is basically brand new for a toyota. tongue.gif
exxtractor
Dude that sucks you have to spend $1400 for a new engine. Was this the only option? I don't know jack about engines, but I guess its terminal for the old engine?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.