Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust options
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
snadman
Hey....what are exhaust options for a 6th GT?
96cel_John
greddy sp and i think jic makes a cat back...not sure though

u can always get a muffler and custom piping.
Matthew
QUOTE (96cel_John @ Mar 6, 2003 - 9:20 PM)
greddy sp and i think jic makes a cat back...not sure though

u can always get a muffler and custom piping.

to the best of my knowledge he covered everything
jumpinccv
I would go with the greddy. I've only heard good things about it.
Coomer
I've heard only good things about the Greddy as well. There are some JDM exhaust options available too though, such as Charlie's HKS cat-back exhaust system.
95STCelica
I'm not a big fan of all that money for the GReddy exhaust, i think custom piping and maybe like a greddy EVO muffler or something, thats what id do. I got the n1 and it isnt loud at all i'd like to get the evo muffler or something different.
NoVa
dont forget that Evilspeedtoe is making a catback for us as well.
Neipas09
Custom piping from a shop will give you just as good results as a Greddy will. I don't see how Greddy can signifantly increase your hp by making you spend $200 extra on their exhaust.
ashleyzredcelica
i think custom piping is the best...or Greddy if u have the $$$!
Coomer
QUOTE (Neipas09 @ Mar 7, 2003 - 3:56 AM)
Custom piping from a shop will give you just as good results as a Greddy will. I don't see how Greddy can signifantly increase your hp by making you spend $200 extra on their exhaust.

Custom piping can provide as good of performance as the Greddy SP, but keep in mind that the SP's piping is mandrel-bent, rather than crush-bent, and it's very hard to find a shop that will make custom mandrel-bent piping. Most shops simply crush bend the piping, resulting in an exhaust that doesn't flow as freely as the Greddy SP.
west_minist
Good point coomer.

My advice to them is to go and see what your shop can do and don't settle for anything less.

I am a fan of HKS, APex, Greddy and Veilside.

If I had to chose, either a carbon fibre like hat my mechanics uses on his honda beating (doesn't was time with them now. Gone on to run again 2l cars) toyota 4AGE 20v silver top in a corolla 1996-7 1000KG car OR a HKS titanium Universal muffler with customer piping.
95STCelica
with greddy and all big names like that i thought you were pretty much shelling out all that dough, just for the name?
west_minist
There are other line Tanabe, ractive, magnaflow.

These manufacture puts alot of research into there products.

So is not much a name, but performance. Check out turbo magazine site for the review there have twice on 10-12 exhaust.
FallenHero
When you hold up any of those mufflers, you see the same thing. the sky on the other side. A straight through muffler is the same. Some are just bigger, some smaller, and some FAR more expensive. I'm not telling you to go to auto zone for an APC, but you don't need to pay $500 for something either.
Neipas09
QUOTE (Coomer @ Mar 7, 2003 - 1:58 PM)
QUOTE (Neipas09 @ Mar 7, 2003 - 3:56 AM)

Custom piping can provide as good of performance as the Greddy SP, but keep in mind that the SP's piping is mandrel-bent, rather than crush-bent, and it's very hard to find a shop that will make custom mandrel-bent piping. Most shops simply crush bend the piping, resulting in an exhaust that doesn't flow as freely as the Greddy SP.

I know this is gonna make me sound like a noob, but fuk it!

What the hell is the difference between crush and mandrel bent pipes?
boosted_K2
mandrel bent goes through a process where the metal is structurally pulled and turned at the same time, work hardening it as it goes, it makes it very stable while allowing the diameter to remain constant, if you look at the greddy piping you will see no wrinkels or overlapping of piping, this is mandrel bent. most muffler shops crush bend, which means they put it in an angular vice machine and just bend the pipe the angle they need it, it creates wrinkles in the bend which cause impuraties in teh air flow, not a big deal if your only concerned with keeping your car street legal, but can cause minor MINOR drawbacks in performance. the more exhaust you push the worse your problem becomes.
BillyBob
an exhaust system isn't gonna make you clock 9's. sure there is some difference. pretty much just the sound though. some are whack (apexi n1) that sounds like tubas or greddy sp catback that sounds deep and nice. so if you want your performance go full piping. u want looks, try universals. u want sound try the greddy. I DONT KNOW WHAT IM TALKING BOUT! IM ON CRACK biggrin.gif
boosted_K2
QUOTE (BillyBob @ Mar 8, 2003 - 6:30 AM)
an exhaust system isn't gonna make you clock 9's.

no one said it would confused.gif
maikl
i think custom pipings are as good as anything else, i have custom pipings on my car and i am very pleased i don't think that the greddy will make any diference than any other custom piping........ ofkrse that's my thinking
94Toy
If you get under the car and look at the exhaust how would you be able to tell if it was crushed or mandrel bent. This is probably a dumb question but I was just wondering.
1bwilson
The bends will either be crinkled or very smooth on the inner parts of the bend.

-Bryan-
aznsoccerplaya12
Would a Greddy sp exhaust fit on my 1999 gt?
1bwilson
yes like a charm.

-Bryan-
94Toy
Hey there is nothing wrong with the APC mufflers I have one and it works great, I love it!
aznsoccerplaya12
Ok. I recently emailed greddy to ask about their greddy sp exhaust system. I asked them if it would fit my 1999 gt. Their reply was that it won't fit a 98 or a 99. So i'm lost because people r sayin that it will fit. So could someone please clear this up. Thanks
Drunken_Style
When it comes to car parts you usually get what you pay for. I wanted to get the Greddy but because of my kit I can't put a muffler in the back, I had to have custom piping and I had to use a glass back and a tip. How much research is the guy at the muffler shop really putting in when he bends the piping for your car, or is he just trying to finish as quickly as possible so he can get to his next job. But if you can find a good muffler shop it would be close. The following information is based on exhaust systems made for the IS300. This information was put together by Chan of IS300.net. All the horse power numbers were taken from dyno charts provided by other members. Hopefully this info will give you guys an idea of the difference between custom bent piping and name brand.

Exhaust alone gains:

Note only the Tanabe exhausts and the GReddy Evolution exhaust are full cat backs. All the other exhaust are just rear section exhaust.

HKS Hiper($440): 9RWHP on average

HKS Dragger 2($460): 7-8RWHP

HKS Carbon-Fiber Titanium Hiper($640): 7-8RWHP(Note, less power than orignal Hiper, but makes up for it in weight reduction)

GReddy Evolution($460): 4RWHP (Only exhaust that uses 3 inch piping and will provide more gains with future mods)

5Ziggen FIreball ($300): 4RWHP

L-Tuned ($600): 7RWHP

Custom Magnaflow exhaust(Cost pending on muffler shop): 4RWHP

Tanabe Racing Medallion(Forgot the price): 5-10% increase info from Tanabe

Tanabe G Power Medallion: see Tanabe Racing Medallion

Toyomoto exhaust(Dunno price ask one of the Toyomoto guys): 9RWHP I believe.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.