Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PICS of the 3SGTE Swap!
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
jgreening
I am here to report that my convertible is back in the garage with and purring like a kitten with its new 3sgte! So far, I have only taken her up to 10psi, and the difference from the 5sfe is dramatic. Interestingly, the torque from 0-3500 rpm, is almost identical to the 5sfe. I actually thought it would pull harder than the original engine there too but the 5sfe is pretty torquey in the lower RPM range. That said, the car pulls much stronger than the 5sfe after that. I noticed in pulling all the way to the red line despite what others have said about the CT-26 giving out after 5500-6000 rpm.

I do have a few bugs to work out. The Supra TT fuel pump I supplied to my mechanic was defective so the 5s fuel pump is still in there. That will obviously need to be replaced before I boost her more. Also, the weight of the 3s made the grinding on my front ST sway bar much worse. That needs to be fixed immediately because the noise is so annoying. I am going to try to wrap it in some type of rubber and see if the sound goes away. If that doesn't work, I am inclined to put my OEM one back on and sell the Suspension Techniques front sway bar. Unless anyone else has other ideas? Finally, my electronic oil pressure guage is a joke. The dam thing sits on 50 p.s.i. and doesn't move while the car is running. It should show fluctuations during driving. I am replacing it with a mechanical unit ASAP.

I have no torque steer with the LSD transmission. The 7000 rpm redline is a very nice improvement. I also have no traction problems or bounciness. The lack of a traction problem makes me wonder if there is not alot more I can get out of her with greater boosting or other tuning. I have not done a performance start because my clutch has a 500 mile break-in period. By the way, the Stage 3 clutchmasters feels exactly like stock and grips hard.

I felt no noticable difference in chassis flex in the convertible and I have yet to install my strut tower bars or my side tower connectors. I will try to get those on very soon.

The engine compartment gets hot quick and I am very seriously considering a vented hood of some sort. Also, for people considering the swap, I ended up replacing my radiator with a double core unit because she was getting hot. I suspect that might have something to do with the fact that my intercooler is very large and probably absorbs much of the cool air. However, people may want to keep this in mind if the water temp gets hot. The 5th gen alltrac has a double core radiator stock.

I love the new exhaust. It looks great and also sounds very very nice (but not loud) Combined with my BOV (which I didn't plan on getting but was talked into it), I must say its a real auditory experience driving it fast!

I am going to enjoy her for a few months before I begin the exterior.

I would like to thank everyone for their encouragement and help throughout this process. In particular, I would like to give props to Supersprynt, Lagos, Kuya and others who patiently answered my sometimes dumb questions.

I also want to give major props to my mechanics, JAMASCO in Hollywood, Florida. Thier work is amazing as you will see from the pictures and they were an absolute dream to deal with. While the bill was more than I originally expected, I feel that they treated me fairly. While doing the swap yourself (if you are able) has some real advantages, I must say that I am fairly confident that it was done right. The piece of mind is nice. Also, driving it back to Illinois this weekend, I never had one problem or even an inkling of a problem. After 1500 miles, she didn't burn a drop of oil.

- Jay

Here are some images that I took tonight as the lighting was getting bad. I will try to take more soon:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
BLINKYxMUNKEY
congrats on the swap. you are one lucky son of a ...
Coomer
That's awesome! Glad to hear that it's done! biggrin.gif
ghostdog
congrats Jay. glad to hear everything worked out for you. can't wait to see some pictures or even video sometime soon
Yota
Thats awesome, I really can't wait to see it!!
Digndoug
just woundering, did you do the wiring or did they??..
vangSTa_celica
I'm...just so happy for u....
Drocay
congrats man, its nice to see a convert with swap done.
97sccelica
park the car

and dont drive it till you get a better fuel pump

trust me, its for your own good
lagos
great to see you back on the road!

i didnt realize you had JAMASCO do your swap. thats about the best place you can take your car to, they really know their stuff. im going to have to IM that guy and see how he got your abs to work.

if you want to vent out hot air and keep the engine bay cooler...the gt4 hood and bumper are the best things for that. the front bumper has 2 opening, making it perfect for a fmic and still having the opening on top for your radiator. the hood vents out so much hot air, that you actually see it when you are stopped at a light....it also weighs next to nothing.

EDIT: dont forget to add your name to the swap list....its a great feeling when u do.
Tressa95
Congrats J! Cant wait to see it

Tressa
Doge
CONGRATS J! I'm glad it turned out well and everything is working! Get some pictues up NOW! The first vert 3s... we cant wait any longer to see it!!!
Supersprynt
user posted image

Hows the clutch?
jgreening
Hows the clutch?

I have not done a performance start because my clutch has a 500 mile break-in period. By the way, the Stage 3 clutchmasters feels exactly like stock and grips hard.

Defgeph
congrats, I wondering about my st sway bar as well. I think im gonna hammer the **it out of the body so it doesnt touch. But I'd like to know how the wrapping it with rubber works out.

the first 3s droptop good stuff

DEF
orvillescelica
Congrats!! you are now the envy of all vert owners on this site! Wish i was still around the chi-town area to see it in person!
Supersprynt
QUOTE (jgreening @ Sep 20, 2004 - 11:59 AM)
Hows the clutch?

I have not done a performance start because my clutch has a 500 mile break-in period. By the way, the Stage 3 clutchmasters feels exactly like stock and grips hard.

sorry rolleyes.gif
lagos
pics pics pics pics pics pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jgreening
pics on the way....I have had two meetings the last two nights so I haven't had a chance to take any in light yet....
CheesyLobster
That engine is pristine! Where did you find such a clean engine???
jgreening
I bought the MR2T clip from Ricky's Auto in Miami. My experience was OK.
95BlueGT
dyno??
jgreening
No dyno. No reason to. Once the boost is turned up to 14, I will be running about 220 or 230 whp. If I get a new turbo or EMS someday, I may get it dynoed in conjunction with tuning.
jgreening
pics posted
recneps
wow JAMASCO did a awesome job. your car is amazing.

just curious how much did they charge for the swap including everything you ahd done?
jgreening
Labor was about 2K. The wiring alone was $625. I have over 5k in parts and miscellaneous expenses.
lagos
man, i really need to get my pipes weled.
Yota
was the wiring ($625) part of the $2000 in labor?
ghostdog
I'm gonna be the first to call bs on this whole thing. the pictures say 1961.05.06 and it is CLEARLY not May 6th 1961 wink.gif

j/k. nice pictures man. I'm deathly jealous
jgreening
was the wiring ($625) part of the $2000 in labor?

Yes.

I'm gonna be the first to call bs on this whole thing. the pictures say 1961.05.06 and it is CLEARLY not May 6th 1961

It is BS that I have figured out how to operate my new digital camera properly...laughs.
Akuza
MORE BRIGHTER PICS !!!!
presure2
looks GREAT man...real nice job on the IC piping, looks real clean!...mmmm BOOOOST wink.gif
Anub1s
w00t go jgreening. Kudos on the swap and have some serious fun with it!
boosted_K2
QUOTE (jgreening @ Sep 22, 2004 - 11:26 AM)
No dyno.  No reason to.  Once the boost is turned up to 14, I will be running about 220 or 230 whp.  If I get a new turbo or EMS someday, I may get it dynoed in conjunction with tuning.

without a turbo upgrade or a few other supporting mods, id say about 205-215 is more reasonable. with the MR2 transmission, you are looking at about a 10-20% drivetrain loss depending upon condition. bone stock MR2s dyno out at 182 or less at the wheels. rule of thumb for boost increases is approximatly 10WHP for every added PSI as long as it is within the turbos optimum range. +2 PSI will yield approximatly 20 WHP... 180+20+maybe 10 for the intake/exhaust combo = ~210. to gain more HP by opening up the air flow restrictions, you are missing the 2 biggest ones, primary cat (which a downpipe will replace) and the AFM sensor. those two things will yield you a bigger gain.
Shigexile
that's awesome that we have a 3SGTE guy in IL now. tongue.gif The car is sweetness!! Congrats on the swap
jgreening
Tim, you know alot more about these cars than I do. That said, I got my information from the MR Controls power primer. According to that primer, the stock USDM 3sgte at 15psi with no other mods gives 200rwhp. Since I indicated that I was only planning to raise mine to 14psi, subtract 10whp to 190. The primer also indicates that you get 2-3 whp from an aftermarket intake and 10 whp from a 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust. This would have me up to at least 202. Keep in mind that JDM ECU is 21 hp higher than the USDM. Taking out the 10-20% loss through the drive train would have me in the 219-221 whp range. Thats with a 2psi cushion for safety because with an aftermarket intercooler, you get up to 16psi safely but according to the primer that adds only another 5whp. So, about 220 whp with room to go up to 235whp safely. I know this isn't exactly scientific but I wasn't trying to inflate the numbers either.

Here is the link:

3sgte Power Primer

I am curious if you still disagree.

- Jay.
boosted_K2
i was unaware of the JDM ECU. it makes sense now smile.gif

and i love that power primer, very good start for basic 3sgte modifications. i was planning on getting their hydra-nemisis system later on and convert to MAP sensored instead of AFM, but i guess that all goes to the way-side now frown.gif
boosted_K2
and FYI i was also getting my crude ballpark figures from previous testing done on mr2s, as well as the mrcontrols power primer smile.gif
jgreening
I wasn't critisizing....real world experience is to be valued over mere reading....
boosted_K2
i didnt take your comment as criticism, FYI was merely an afterthought kind of like a friendly PS, sorry if it was taken otherwise.
celicaracer18
good stuff good stuff, i love power talk
great job on the swap your using the MR2 tranny w/lsd right i may have some questions for you
anyways enjoy it iknow i will when mines done
jgreening
No offense taken here Tim.....gee we are being so polite here....its a kinder, gentler forum...
shid
Piping looks pretty good (hard to get better than that) get a new intake and exhaust manifold! smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.